msnbc spits on Ohioans for donating food relief

Would anyone like to know how many Red Cross scandals there are? What they do with your cash donations?

ABC news good enough for you libs?

Let's start here. I think I'll do a whole thread on this tomorrow. This is why they want cash.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for them.

You've heard about the Red Cross scandal after Sept.11. Most of the hundreds of millions of dollars raised for terrorism victims was not getting to the victims. Media complaints and a congressional outcry contributed to Red Cross head Bernadine Healey's decision to resign.

But at least I can understand their thinking. Since so much had already been raised for Sept. 11 victims. It's understandable to try to save some money for future tragedies.

But ooooooooh here's another.

A wildfire in Alpine, just east of San Diego, destroyed homes, killed horses that panicked and ran into the fire, and injured one fireman. The Red Cross appealed for funds, and raised $400,000 for disaster relief. But months after the fire, little money had gone to victims.

Some fire victims received a few hundred dollars, but they say when they asked where the rest of the money was going, they couldn't get straight answers from the Red Cross. So they complained to County Supervisor Diane Jacob.

"The fire victims in Alpine feel they've been used," said Jacob, who started demanding answers from the Red Cross.

This led to publicity, and only then did the San Diego Red Cross tell the public the truth: Of the more than $400,000 raised, only $159,000 — less than half — was spent on the relief effort.

Even worse, of the $159,000 that was to support the victims, $105,000 went to general chapter expenses and overhead, like upgrading the office phone system and Red Cross vehicles.

They grease themselves first.

But wait there's more!!!!!!:D

A Fair Salary?

San Diego Red Cross President Dodie Rotherham wouldn't talk to 20/20 either, but she did talk to Mark Matthews, who works for ABCNEWS' San Diego affiliate. He asked her about her salary.

She said she makes $203,000 in salary, and more than $300,000 with incentives. That's more than any other Red Cross chapter CEO in America makes.

Commentary: More Red Cross Criticism - ABC News

Would anyone like to know how many Red Cross scandals there are? What they do with your cash donations?

ABC news good enough for you libs?

Let's start here. I think I'll do a whole thread on this tomorrow. This is why they want cash.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for them.

You've heard about the Red Cross scandal after Sept.11. Most of the hundreds of millions of dollars raised for terrorism victims was not getting to the victims. Media complaints and a congressional outcry contributed to Red Cross head Bernadine Healey's decision to resign.

But at least I can understand their thinking. Since so much had already been raised for Sept. 11 victims. It's understandable to try to save some money for future tragedies.

But ooooooooh here's another.

A wildfire in Alpine, just east of San Diego, destroyed homes, killed horses that panicked and ran into the fire, and injured one fireman. The Red Cross appealed for funds, and raised $400,000 for disaster relief. But months after the fire, little money had gone to victims.

Some fire victims received a few hundred dollars, but they say when they asked where the rest of the money was going, they couldn't get straight answers from the Red Cross. So they complained to County Supervisor Diane Jacob.

"The fire victims in Alpine feel they've been used," said Jacob, who started demanding answers from the Red Cross.

This led to publicity, and only then did the San Diego Red Cross tell the public the truth: Of the more than $400,000 raised, only $159,000 — less than half — was spent on the relief effort.

Even worse, of the $159,000 that was to support the victims, $105,000 went to general chapter expenses and overhead, like upgrading the office phone system and Red Cross vehicles.

They grease themselves first.

But wait there's more!!!!!!:D

A Fair Salary?

San Diego Red Cross President Dodie Rotherham wouldn't talk to 20/20 either, but she did talk to Mark Matthews, who works for ABCNEWS' San Diego affiliate. He asked her about her salary.

She said she makes $203,000 in salary, and more than $300,000 with incentives. That's more than any other Red Cross chapter CEO in America makes.

Commentary: More Red Cross Criticism - ABC News

Which is why I refuse to donate to the Red Cross. They pay themselves before they do anything to help the unfortunate.

Tiny Dancer -

So your point is that people should ignore Red Cross appeals and requests?

Interesting.

I can see her point, though - why donate money when its not likely to make it to the victims, but will instead end up in someone's pocket?

Am not saying not to donate, just don't donate through the Red Cross.

After Black Saturday here, three years aqo, we raised over one hundred million for the people affected, yet most of those people haven't seen a single penny. The Red Cross keeps most of it for themselves!

Noomi -

It may well be that the Red Cross are not the best organisation to donate to - but at the same time I think ignoring their requests for money and not food is foolish.

I dare say most other aid organisations said the same thing.

MSNBC Ridicules Romney for Collecting Food and Supplies for Sandy Victims | NewsBusters.org

It's one thing to be rich, but it's quite another to be rich and an elitist.

And we wonder why biden and obama's charity giving was so low.

It's because they lack charity.

According to the Red Cross, they prefer donations of cash instead. I am sure there is a good reason for this - Romney didn't have to hold his own charity drive, instead, he could have simply told his supporters to make a donation to the Red Cross.

Its possible that the Red Cross will not accept the donations of food and clothing, and that would be a shame, after all his hard work.

There is a good reason, they have a lot of overhead and cash makes it easier for them to pay their exorbitant salaries. Actual donations of food and clothing have to be delivered to real people who need it. That is why most people, especially vets, prefer the Salvation Army.

If anyone watched the story, they'd also know the OP has got it wildly wrong.

The Red Cross asked people not to donate cans of food - Romney did it anyway. That is what he was taken to task on.

But of course no one cares if the story is real or not!

How do you know Romney won't ship the food directly to the disaster at his own expense?

QW -

He may well do - that isn't really the point.

The reason NGO ask people to donate money and not food and clothing is because people to donate very odd kinds of food and foods that deteriorate quickly or require refridegeration.

It's not terribly useful to send a truck in with 1 ton of olives, a pack of canned pineapple and 300 litres of fresh cranberry juice.

NGO's are equipped to buy the best foodstuffs for the situation they face, and the same applies with clothing.

you mean the free phone program that started during the Bush presidency?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio]Original Obamaphone Lady: Obama Voter Says Vote for Obama because he gives a free Phone - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI&feature=player_embedded]Obama Is Going To Pay For My Gas And Mortgage!!! - YouTube[/ame]

The Republican Party...come for the misogyny, stay for the racism.

Look another plagiarizing liberal...

Come for the Misogyny, Stay for the Racism >>> Come for the Misogyny, Stay for the Racism - Lawyers, Guns & Money : Lawyers, Guns & Money

6a010536b72a74970b0162fdd13c6c970d-500wi

Last edited:
The Red Cross says not to give canned goods.

So Romney asks for canned goods.

Romney can't even get hurricane relief right.

Of course Red Cross wants the cash. The CEO of the Red Cross is paid a fortune.:D

And by the way, they had screens up asking for donations. Oh and there are other agencies who would gladly take the donated items.

Tiny Dancer -

The Red Cross specificaly asked people not to donate food.

Romney asked people to donate food.

And yet your posts on this thread do not mention this - but attack the media for reporting the story.

Do you consider this to be honst posting?

Maybe he is planning to give them to the Mormon disaster relief efforts, they aren't persnickety about money.

MSNBC Ridicules Romney for Collecting Food and Supplies for Sandy Victims | NewsBusters.org

It's one thing to be rich, but it's quite another to be rich and an elitist.

And we wonder why biden and obama's charity giving was so low.

It's because they lack charity.

According to the Red Cross, they prefer donations of cash instead. I am sure there is a good reason for this - Romney didn't have to hold his own charity drive, instead, he could have simply told his supporters to make a donation to the Red Cross.

Its possible that the Red Cross will not accept the donations of food and clothing, and that would be a shame, after all his hard work.

There is a good reason, they have a lot of overhead and cash makes it easier for them to pay their exorbitant salaries. Actual donations of food and clothing have to be delivered to real people who need it. That is why most people, especially vets, prefer the Salvation Army.

I refuse to donate to the Salvation Army as well. They refuse to accept donations under $10, and won't accept any item of clothing they don't like, and if you bring in a set of crockery, if it isn't a complete set (four large plates, four small plates, and four bowls) they don't want it.
My nana tried to donate my grandpops clothing to their store, all in good condition, would have been great for another elderly gent, and the Salvo's told her to take it home, cut them up and use them as rags.

Try St Vincent De Paul instead. :)

The Red Cross says not to give canned goods.

So Romney asks for canned goods.

Romney can't even get hurricane relief right.

Of course Red Cross wants the cash. The CEO of the Red Cross is paid a fortune.:D

And by the way, they had screens up asking for donations. Oh and there are other agencies who would gladly take the donated items.
Tiny Dancer -
The Red Cross specificaly asked people not to donate food.
Romney asked people to donate food.
And yet your posts on this thread do not mention this - but attack the media for reporting the story.
Do you consider this to be honst posting?

BULL!
Did anyone stop to think that perhaps people don't have cash to give, yet want to give something?

Pay attention now!

Mitt Romney Collecting Donations For Hurricane Sandy Victims In Ohio

“We have a lot of goods here that these people will need. We have heavy hearts, as you know, with all the suffering going on. There are a lot of people who were hurting this morning, who were hurting last night. We’re going to box them [donations] up, then send them into New Jersey.”

The candidate has also asked supporters to send monetary donations to the Red Cross to help the storm victims.

Although the Red Cross prefers that people send money instead of collecting needed items, the South Jersey Red Cross is already prepared to take the items generously donated at the Romney relief event. The candidate’s victory centers across the state are also accepting items to send to Hurricane Sandy victims.

AND

Romney scraps Monday night, Tuesday campaigning - Businessweek

His campaign also mobilized campaign staff across storm-lashed Virginia to collect donations for victims, used a campaign bus to distribute supplies, and called on those in the hurricane's path to remove yard signs that could become dangerous projectiles in windy conditions. Just before his Iowa rally, Romney was briefed on the storm by officials at the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the Department of Homeland Security and the National Weather Service.
The Red Cross is also asking for blood.
Has anyone here given blood?

QW -

He may well do - that isn't really the point.

The reason NGO ask people to donate money and not food and clothing is because people to donate very odd kinds of food and foods that deteriorate quickly or require refridegeration.

It's not terribly useful to send a truck in with 1 ton of olives, a pack of canned pineapple and 300 litres of fresh cranberry juice.

NGO's are equipped to buy the best foodstuffs for the situation they face, and the same applies with clothing.

The Salvation Army takes anything, and has a lot lower overhead that Red Cross.

You know...............I remember the flood in Millington TN back in 1987 (happened on Dec 25th by the way), and I woke up to lots of rain.

When I got into the base, they were asking for volunteers to go and help those who had been affected by the flood. I volunteered and spent the next week on TAD (Temporary Additional Duty) to the city of Millington to help out with the flood. (The benefit was that I got to wear civilian clothes instead of a uniform for the next week).

Guess what? The first things the people needed WEREN'T canned goods and blankets. We needed stuff like boats and trucks capable of getting through the waters so that we could pull people out of their houses.

The Red Cross asked for donations right now. Why? Probably because they could use the money better by getting boats and other forms of transportation (which would have to be rented) so that they could get people to safety. The food and blanket requests will come later, AFTER the people have been brought to safety.

By the way, want to know another reason why the Red Cross would rather have donations of cash rather than canned goods and 2nd hand clothing? Because MORE MANPOWER would have to be used to sort, clean and package the donated items, rather than being used to get people to safety.

Right now? I think we should listen to the Red Cross for what they do and don't need. And Mittens was just using this as a photo op, because he used the SAME PLACE rented for the rally, as well as the SAME GUEST SPEAKERS and the SAME PRESS PASSES as what the rally originally had.

Oh yeah......................McStupid (McCain) used it as a platform to attack Obama on Benghazi and politicize the whole thing.

Face it.....................Mittens wants to privatize FEMA (he ignored 11 questions about it today) and would be a very bad choice if elected. Do you really think that the Northeast states have enough money to pay for the damage individually (which is what Mittens said they should do), or.....................should we show that we are the UNITED States of America, and can all come together to help our fellow citizens when disaster strikes?

The Federal government does have a purpose, and this is one of them.

I refuse to donate to the Salvation Army as well. They refuse to accept donations under $10, and won't accept any item of clothing they don't like, and if you bring in a set of crockery, if it isn't a complete set (four large plates, four small plates, and four bowls) they don't want it.
My nana tried to donate my grandpops clothing to their store, all in good condition, would have been great for another elderly gent, and the Salvo's told her to take it home, cut them up and use them as rags.

And that helps USA victims of this storm, how???

Don't Give your Hurricane Katrina Relief Donations to the Red Cross

Article explains why you shouldn't donate to the Red Cross.

It's intersting stuff, but I'd like to see something from a slightly more objective source before I write them off entirely.

Certainly I don't think there is any need for an NGO to spend 100% of the donations on the particular case they are working on - they should spend what is appropriate to help where help is needed.

What is important is that any money left over is spent on similar and worthy cases - not as this link implies, used for bombing people or high salaries.

You refuse to donate to The Salvation Army because you want to lie about them? Bell ringers take donations of less than a dollar, so that blows your $10 minimum out of the water. As for clothes, they will take anything in good condition, and will even take the rags and bundle them for sale. That doesn't mean everyone that works/volunteers for them is nice though.

Forum List

Back