msnbc spits on Ohioans for donating food relief

I refuse to donate to the Salvation Army as well. They refuse to accept donations under $10, and won't accept any item of clothing they don't like, and if you bring in a set of crockery, if it isn't a complete set (four large plates, four small plates, and four bowls) they don't want it.
My nana tried to donate my grandpops clothing to their store, all in good condition, would have been great for another elderly gent, and the Salvo's told her to take it home, cut them up and use them as rags.

Try St Vincent De Paul instead. :)

And that helps USA victims of this storm, how???

I am just saying that if you want to donate, donate to Vinnies, not a charity that wants to make money off you.

You know...I remember the flood in Millington TN back in 1987 (happened on Dec 25th by the way), and I woke up to lots of rain.

<snip>

Guess what? The first things the people needed WEREN'T canned goods and blankets. We needed stuff like boats and trucks capable of getting through the waters so that we could pull people out of their houses.

The Red Cross asked for donations right now. Why? Probably because they could use the money better by getting boats and other forms of transportation (which would have to be rented) so that they could get people to safety. The food and blanket requests will come later, AFTER the people have been brought to safety.

By the way, want to know another reason why the Red Cross would rather have donations of cash rather than canned goods and 2nd hand clothing? Because MORE MANPOWER would have to be used to sort, clean and package the donated items, rather than being used to get people to safety.

Right now? I think we should listen to the Red Cross for what they do and don't need. And Mittens was just using this as a photo op, because he used the SAME PLACE rented for the rally, as well as the SAME GUEST SPEAKERS and the SAME PRESS PASSES as what the rally originally had.

<snip>

The Federal government does have a purpose, and this is one of them.

State, Entergy sending more assistance to Sandy's victims » Mississippi Business JournalMississippi Business Journal

Three swift water rescue teams made up of task force members from all over the state are deploying to Maryland to assist with rescue efforts related to Sandy. The teams are equipped with one team leader, three swift water rescue personnel and a boat capable of transporting three survivors and the crew, among other equipment.

“Our team members have trained for many hours for situations just like this,” said Desoto County Emergency Management director and task force leader Bobby Storey. “The equipment and manpower are rolling that way. We are honored to represent the state of Mississippi and to assist the state of Maryland and their residents.”

These swift water rescue teams are an important response tool created after Hurricane Katrina. Through various grant programs the teams were equipped and trained to respond in the state of Mississippi and elsewhere on short notice.
Red Cross doesn't need BOATS.

You know...............I remember the flood in Millington TN back in 1987 (happened on Dec 25th by the way), and I woke up to lots of rain.

When I got into the base, they were asking for volunteers to go and help those who had been affected by the flood. I volunteered and spent the next week on TAD (Temporary Additional Duty) to the city of Millington to help out with the flood. (The benefit was that I got to wear civilian clothes instead of a uniform for the next week).

Guess what? The first things the people needed WEREN'T canned goods and blankets. We needed stuff like boats and trucks capable of getting through the waters so that we could pull people out of their houses.

The Red Cross asked for donations right now. Why? Probably because they could use the money better by getting boats and other forms of transportation (which would have to be rented) so that they could get people to safety. The food and blanket requests will come later, AFTER the people have been brought to safety.

By the way, want to know another reason why the Red Cross would rather have donations of cash rather than canned goods and 2nd hand clothing? Because MORE MANPOWER would have to be used to sort, clean and package the donated items, rather than being used to get people to safety.

Right now? I think we should listen to the Red Cross for what they do and don't need. And Mittens was just using this as a photo op, because he used the SAME PLACE rented for the rally, as well as the SAME GUEST SPEAKERS and the SAME PRESS PASSES as what the rally originally had.

Oh yeah......................McStupid (McCain) used it as a platform to attack Obama on Benghazi and politicize the whole thing.

Face it.....................Mittens wants to privatize FEMA (he ignored 11 questions about it today) and would be a very bad choice if elected. Do you really think that the Northeast states have enough money to pay for the damage individually (which is what Mittens said they should do), or.....................should we show that we are the UNITED States of America, and can all come together to help our fellow citizens when disaster strikes?

The Red Cross doesn't go into disaster areas to rescue people, they use the cash to buy supplies and ship them through their own distribution system, which is pretty inefficient. They also hand out debit cards for people to buy what they need. WalMart does a much better job of getting needed supplies in, so much so that the feds are trying to copy how they do it.

Last edited:
I refuse to donate to the Salvation Army as well. They refuse to accept donations under $10, and won't accept any item of clothing they don't like, and if you bring in a set of crockery, if it isn't a complete set (four large plates, four small plates, and four bowls) they don't want it.
My nana tried to donate my grandpops clothing to their store, all in good condition, would have been great for another elderly gent, and the Salvo's told her to take it home, cut them up and use them as rags.

Try St Vincent De Paul instead. :)

I am just saying that if you want to donate, donate to Vinnies, not a charity that wants to make money off you.

St Vincent de Paul makes plenty of money off their thrift stores.

Again, how does vinnies help the victims of Sandy?
It doesn't.
And that's what this thread is about.

But I do appreciate your participation.

It doesn't.

How does your posting here help the victims? I would be glad to help the victims of Sandy, if only a charity other than the RC were collecting, and that they would accept funds from countries other than America.

You know...I remember the flood in Millington TN back in 1987 (happened on Dec 25th by the way), and I woke up to lots of rain.

<snip>

<snip>

State, Entergy sending more assistance to Sandy's victims » Mississippi Business JournalMississippi Business Journal

Three swift water rescue teams made up of task force members from all over the state are deploying to Maryland to assist with rescue efforts related to Sandy. The teams are equipped with one team leader, three swift water rescue personnel and a boat capable of transporting three survivors and the crew, among other equipment.

“Our team members have trained for many hours for situations just like this,” said Desoto County Emergency Management director and task force leader Bobby Storey. “The equipment and manpower are rolling that way. We are honored to represent the state of Mississippi and to assist the state of Maryland and their residents.”

These swift water rescue teams are an important response tool created after Hurricane Katrina. Through various grant programs the teams were equipped and trained to respond in the state of Mississippi and elsewhere on short notice.
Red Cross doesn't need BOATS.

Still costs money to run the boats.

So do the Salvo's. So does any charity, which is why I am wary of them. I'd rather be out there, lending a hand, helping those people, rather than donating money and assuming a charity will help instead.

So do the Salvo's. So does any charity, which is why I am wary of them. I'd rather be out there, lending a hand, helping those people, rather than donating money and assuming a charity will help instead.

Then get your patootie over here and lend a hand!

Actually, the thread seems to be about attacking the media for reporting Romney's rejection of the Red Cross's request.

Read post #54.
What you claim is false.

Read post#1.

MSNBC Ridicules Romney for Collecting Food and Supplies for Sandy Victims | NewsBusters.org

It's one thing to be rich, but it's quite another to be rich and an elitist.

And we wonder why biden and obama's charity giving was so low.

It's because they lack charity.

What has that got to do with helping people?

Check out the charity before you give, find out how much they divert for overhead. Salvation Army is among the best.

It doesn't.

How does your posting here help the victims? I would be glad to help the victims of Sandy, if only a charity other than the RC were collecting, and that they would accept funds from countries other than America.

My posting helps to clarify the realities of what happens in the USA.

Actually, the thread seems to be about attacking the media for reporting Romney's rejection of the Red Cross's request.

Read post #54.
What you claim is false.

Read post#1.

MSNBC Ridicules Romney for Collecting Food and Supplies for Sandy Victims | NewsBusters.org

It's one thing to be rich, but it's quite another to be rich and an elitist.

And we wonder why biden and obama's charity giving was so low.

It's because they lack charity.

What has that got to do with helping people?

Post #54 refutes post #1.

Still costs money to run the boats.

Yes. Paid for by whom? The Red Cross?

Yep, especially if they're the ones running the rescue operations.

BTW...............there was quite a bit of communication between the Red Cross and the people running the rescue operations when I was volunteering in Millington.

Read post #68.
Red Cross is not in charge of running rescue operations.
Red Cross has nothing to do with 'running the boats'. It is STATE agencies.

"MEMA Office of Response director Tom McAllister, logistics chief Don Wilson, deputy logistics chief Phillip Langston and assistant to the director Jasper Welsch deployed over the weekend to assist with Sandy and its impacts."

Red Cross is not asking for donations of boats and trucks.

Last edited:
MaBelle -

What ARE you talking about?

This is not your thread, so on what basis do you get to tell the OP what the thread is really about?

Forum List

Back