Most People Believe in Intelligent Alien Life, do you?

Why does there seem to be no alien sentient life (ET)? best three answers in your opinion

• because there is none

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • it is too far away to contact us

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • our technology is too primitive to contact ET

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • ET choses not to contact us yet

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • ET is not advanced enough to contact us

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • ET contacted Earth long before mankind evolved

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • ET has contacted us but the governments cover it up

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • ET destroys itself before it can contact us or other intelligent life.

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I believe it is most likely that we are the most advanced life form in the universe, certainly in the galaxy. There is very likely life on other planets and moons, likely even in our own solar system.

We have never been contacted by aliens nor will we be. The distances are too great and the physics laws are unbreakable.

There are things that might possibly work around the limit of the speed of light.

Worm holes, space warp, space expansion, and quantum entanglement seem to be able to traverse the speed of light in practical terms.

Will we ever… travel faster than the speed of light?

Four ways to break the universe's speed limit

Faster than the Speed of Light? NASA Looks at Warp Drive
Problem with traveling at near the speed of light is the affect it has on mass and the generation of heat. Hard to imagine a ship surviving that let alone a living organism
and of course scientist in the future wont know anymore than they do now......

I suspect very much that the scientists in the future will know quite a bit more than they do now....are you being sarcastic?

No question about it! We've found a half dozen worlds that are probably capable of life. Within the next 10-15 years rather it is done by the United states or China(Eu, india) we will have the tools to know a lot more about these planets...We will also have a lot more planets!!!

I believe it is most likely that we are the most advanced life form in the universe, certainly in the galaxy. There is very likely life on other planets and moons, likely even in our own solar system.

We have never been contacted by aliens nor will we be. The distances are too great and the physics laws are unbreakable.

As are the laws of Chemistry

Life must be water based. It takes simple compounds of noncomplex elements. Alien life must follow the same periodic table we do. Liquid water exists between 0 and 100C, any planet that does not maintain those temperatures will not sustain life
Maybe not human life but thinking that the only life possible is the life WE know is not very open-minded.

What does being open minded mean in this case? Nothing at all really.

so pred do you believe in a "god" or a higher power that put us here?...or did we just pop up out of two atoms colliding billions of years ago?....

Well this is kinda irrelevant but ok, I personally believe that we evolved gradually out of a universe that popped out of an event at the beginning of time. That is how God did it.

Life must be water based. It takes simple compounds of noncomplex elements. Alien life must follow the same periodic table we do. Liquid water exists between 0 and 100C, any planet that does not maintain those temperatures will not sustain life
as far as our science believes....how about a hundred years from now?....will new things be discovered to maybe prove todays thoughts wrong?...look how much we have advanced since 1915....since 1815.....lots of things can happen....
The laws of physics and chemistry won't change though.

YouGov | You are not alone: most people believe that aliens exist

"Germans (56%) are the most likely to believe this, followed by Americans (54%) and then British people (52). At most a third (32% in Germany) assertively do not believe in extra-terrestrial live, although this is lower in Britain and the US.

"Men, across all three countries, are more likely to believe in extra-terrestrial life. Only in Germany do a majority of women (51%) believe. The oldest people are the least likely to believe in all three countries – in Britain, for example, 45% of over-60s believe in aliens compared to 59% of 18-24s."

The universe is so vast that to assume we are the only sentient life out there is simply asinine.

It amazes me when I hear people who think that maybe the laws of physics don't apply to other galaxies.
so how do you know they dont?....in 1750 how many scientist back then would think its possible to build a flying machine carrying 300 people to the other side of the planet?.....or go to the moon?....these guys think its possible...
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/09/100909004112.htm
300 years ago, we had very little knowledge of the laws of physics. We could not then have imagined that there were laws allowing or prohibiting it.

as far as our science believes....how about a hundred years from now?....will new things be discovered to maybe prove todays thoughts wrong?...look how much we have advanced since 1915....since 1815.....lots of things can happen....

Technologically things get more complex

Biologically and chemically...we need basic building blocks. They have the same periodic table to construct those building blocks as we do
prove it.....

The proof has been provided already. Scientists peer into supernovas, distant galaxies, storm clouds, planets, stars, comets. By various measuring tools we can see their composition. It is composed of elects from the exact same periodic table. Also, I can be easily observed that actions and reactions in space occur exactly according to the laws of physics.

There are things that might possibly work around the limit of the speed of light.

Worm holes, space warp, space expansion, and quantum entanglement seem to be able to traverse the speed of light in practical terms.

Stephen Hawking, the father of worm holes and folding space, has since abandoned his own theory.

Technologically things get more complex

Biologically and chemically...we need basic building blocks. They have the same periodic table to construct those building blocks as we do
prove it.....
Well there was that episode of Lost in Space
I guess aliens can be anything you imagine them to be
just say we dont know RW....because we dont....you have a mind kinda like lots of republicans,just believe what we can see or detect and of course everything out there has to be like it is here.....what else can there be?....oh thats right that episode of lost in space.....i thought liberals were supposed to be open minded and open to things that just might be different from what we know....was dean lying?.....

We don't know everything, but if it walks like a duck....

Problem with traveling at near the speed of light is the affect it has on mass and the generation of heat. Hard to imagine a ship surviving that let alone a living organism

I suspect very much that the scientists in the future will know quite a bit more than they do now....are you being sarcastic?

No question about it! We've found a half dozen worlds that are probably capable of life. Within the next 10-15 years rather it is done by the United states or China(Eu, india) we will have the tools to know a lot more about these planets...We will also have a lot more planets!!!

Life yes. This thread is about sentient life.

just answering RW's post....he seems to think that science will never figure out how to travel safely in space let alone go faster....

prove it.....
just say we dont know RW....because we dont....you have a mind kinda like lots of republicans,just believe what we can see or detect and of course everything out there has to be like it is here.....what else can there be?....oh thats right that episode of lost in space.....i thought liberals were supposed to be open minded and open to things that just might be different from what we know....was dean lying?.....
I think we do know

They have to play by the same rules of physics and chemistry we do. They have the same building blocks for life that we use. The end result of those building blocks may look differently but the blocks are constrained by the same basic elements we use. Hydrogen, Oxygen, Carbon, Nitrogen
so you can say that for certain about a galaxy 600 million light years from here right?...how about going into a black hole?....will everything be the same on the other side?....
Laws of physics vary throughout the universe, new study suggests
Newtonian physics would not change. Theoretical physics at the atomic level may change in things like worm holes or at the speed of light. Living organisms would be more constrained by Newtonian physics
Life is fragile and is impacted by extremes in temperature, pressure, and extreme velocities. Travel near the speed of light affects things at the atomic level. Organisms are unlikely to survive at half the speed of light That is Einstein speaking not me.
Einstein lived a century ago....look how science has advanced since his time....how about a hundred years from now?.....how about 2 hundred years?....im sure glad people with your limited mindset are not in charge of scientific advancement....

so pred do you believe in a "god" or a higher power that put us here?...or did we just pop up out of two atoms colliding billions of years ago?....

Well this is kinda irrelevant but ok, I personally believe that we evolved gradually out of a universe that popped out of an event at the beginning of time. That is how God did it.
is god not an alien?....would not a being that can do that contact us anytime he wants and just may have many times in the past?...why create life and not check up on what you created periodically?...

The laws of physics and chemistry won't change though.
they may not change but many may find ways to get around those laws .....bending of space is theoretically possible....

It amazes me when I hear people who think that maybe the laws of physics don't apply to other galaxies.
so how do you know they dont?....in 1750 how many scientist back then would think its possible to build a flying machine carrying 300 people to the other side of the planet?.....or go to the moon?....these guys think its possible...
300 years ago, we had very little knowledge of the laws of physics. We could not then have imagined that there were laws allowing or prohibiting it.
so we advance and learn new things....who knows what they will be able to do 300 hundred years from now.....

article-0-11EF84AB000005DC-804_1024x615_large.jpg

YouGov | You are not alone: most people believe that aliens exist

"Germans (56%) are the most likely to believe this, followed by Americans (54%) and then British people (52). At most a third (32% in Germany) assertively do not believe in extra-terrestrial live, although this is lower in Britain and the US.

"Men, across all three countries, are more likely to believe in extra-terrestrial life. Only in Germany do a majority of women (51%) believe. The oldest people are the least likely to believe in all three countries – in Britain, for example, 45% of over-60s believe in aliens compared to 59% of 18-24s."

Intelligent life absolutely exists. It's us. If we exist, such life isn't without precedent and is a normal occurence in this universe. And given the size of the universe, since nothing else has only happened once, the likelyhood alien life equal to or greater than us is a probability.

The problem though is the distances between stars. Even if you could travel near the speed of light, you'd die of old age before you ever got anywhere (excluding relativistic time dilation effects.) And even with theoretical warp drives, that too is too slow. There seems to be no way of getting around even a host galaxy, nevermind the other hundred billion galaxies. So the universe could well be teeming with technological civilizations but they're all doomed to isolation since there's no way for anyone no matter how advanced to get around.

As of right now, there's no brightside alas. I think this spiral arm of the galaxy if the galaxy's 'goldlilocks zone' and there's lots of other civilizations. But even if we eventually make such a discovery (and make it public) it wont be much more than a "oh isn't that neat" sorta discovery because even if Proxima (nearest star to us) had these friendly aliens who wanna give us the cure to all disease and unlimited free energy, we could never get there of they here.

Warnings from the likes of Hawking and such about contacting aliens for fear of being wiped out are stupid. If you developed the means to get around the universe, you'd likely view any other intelligent species as though you'd met God itself and make peaceful contact. If you had weapons capable of wping out such life you'd have used it on yourselves long before developing interstellar travel.

The main reason Aliens resist making themselves known here is that human stupidity is toxic

I think we do know

They have to play by the same rules of physics and chemistry we do. They have the same building blocks for life that we use. The end result of those building blocks may look differently but the blocks are constrained by the same basic elements we use. Hydrogen, Oxygen, Carbon, Nitrogen
so you can say that for certain about a galaxy 600 million light years from here right?...how about going into a black hole?....will everything be the same on the other side?....
Newtonian physics would not change. Theoretical physics at the atomic level may change in things like worm holes or at the speed of light. Living organisms would be more constrained by Newtonian physics
Life is fragile and is impacted by extremes in temperature, pressure, and extreme velocities. Travel near the speed of light affects things at the atomic level. Organisms are unlikely to survive at half the speed of light That is Einstein speaking not me.
Einstein lived a century ago....look how science has advanced since his time....how about a hundred years from now?.....how about 2 hundred years?....im sure glad people with your limited mindset are not in charge of scientific advancement....
You need to look at how it is changing. It is theoretical at the particle level and what happens at the extremes.
We have particle accelerators right now that do not reach the speed of light. We can examine changes to those particles as they reach extremely high speeds. Changes in mass and density as well as generation of heat.
Now look at an organic cell or a living organism. It could not survive at the speed of light

I think we do know

You need to look at how it is changing. It is theoretical at the particle level and what happens at the extremes.
We have particle accelerators right now that do not reach the speed of light. We can examine changes to those particles as they reach extremely high speeds. Changes in mass and density as well as generation of heat.
Now look at an organic cell or a living organism. It could not survive at the speed of light

Invoking Einstein then saying 'look at how science has advanced since him' is something of a non-starter. Einstein and other reveal simply the way the universe works. They don't create the way it works, nor does any technological capability of advancement render such scientific discoveries outdated. Scientific laws, by definition can never change and be overcome. If they ever did they weren't laws. Why there's so few.

Unlike crossing the oceans centuries ago, or building flying machines, traversing space and travelling interstellar distances isn't about building something capable of doing it. There's nothing to be built since you're going to need things you can't build no matter what. Then you're still limited by your own lifespan and psychology. The times a traveller would spend in transit even at warp velocities as being disucssed of later would have astronauts going insane or dying of old age. Then there's energy sources to consider. Unless we discovery a new element readily obtainable, we have nothing even on the Periodic able capable of powering such vehicles.

Best we can hope for, realisticly, is either communicating with alienb life on the radio, or creating new worlds to exist in via computer and virtual worlds.

A virtual enviroment holds greater promise for us right now than anything in the real world. Could "live" millenia in a virtual world long before your actual body gave out and you died. And I think the improvements being made in virtual reality as seen in gaming represent the future. Why spend you life cooped up in a tiny tin can in space, or on an alien world if you could exist in a paradisical simulation with full sensory experience? And because of accelerated time in computers of even now, could conceivably exist for thousands of years in a simulation living, working, and existing almost entirely there instead of the real world. And best of all it isn't science fiction like interstellar travel and very much liek crossing the ocean where tech is simply needing to be created. But the premise is already here.

Forum List

Back