Most People Believe in Intelligent Alien Life, do you?

Why does there seem to be no alien sentient life (ET)? best three answers in your opinion

• because there is none

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • it is too far away to contact us

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • our technology is too primitive to contact ET

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • ET choses not to contact us yet

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • ET is not advanced enough to contact us

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • ET contacted Earth long before mankind evolved

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • ET has contacted us but the governments cover it up

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • ET destroys itself before it can contact us or other intelligent life.

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I believe it is most likely that we are the most advanced life form in the universe, certainly in the galaxy. There is very likely life on other planets and moons, likely even in our own solar system.

We have never been contacted by aliens nor will we be. The distances are too great and the physics laws are unbreakable.

There are things that might possibly work around the limit of the speed of light.

Worm holes, space warp, space expansion, and quantum entanglement seem to be able to traverse the speed of light in practical terms.

Will we ever… travel faster than the speed of light?

Four ways to break the universe's speed limit

Faster than the Speed of Light? NASA Looks at Warp Drive
Problem with traveling at near the speed of light is the affect it has on mass and the generation of heat. Hard to imagine a ship surviving that let alone a living organism
and of course scientist in the future wont know anymore than they do now......

I suspect very much that the scientists in the future will know quite a bit more than they do now....are you being sarcastic?
just answering RW's post....he seems to think that science will never figure out how to travel safely in space let alone go faster....

Yeah don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen.

I believe it is most likely that we are the most advanced life form in the universe, certainly in the galaxy. There is very likely life on other planets and moons, likely even in our own solar system.

We have never been contacted by aliens nor will we be. The distances are too great and the physics laws are unbreakable.
so pred do you believe in a "god" or a higher power that put us here?...or did we just pop up out of two atoms colliding billions of years ago?....

Well this is kinda irrelevant but ok, I personally believe that we evolved gradually out of a universe that popped out of an event at the beginning of time. That is how God did it.
is god not an alien?....would not a being that can do that contact us anytime he wants and just may have many times in the past?...why create life and not check up on what you created periodically?...

You are asking me to explain God's motivations and machinations? You have a higher opinion of me than even I do.

As are the laws of Chemistry

Life must be water based. It takes simple compounds of noncomplex elements. Alien life must follow the same periodic table we do. Liquid water exists between 0 and 100C, any planet that does not maintain those temperatures will not sustain life
as far as our science believes....how about a hundred years from now?....will new things be discovered to maybe prove todays thoughts wrong?...look how much we have advanced since 1915....since 1815.....lots of things can happen....
The laws of physics and chemistry won't change though.
they may not change but many may find ways to get around those laws .....bending of space is theoretically possible....

Actually, Stephen Hawking, who first theorized bending space and worm holes, has changed his mind on much of it.

As are the laws of Chemistry

Life must be water based. It takes simple compounds of noncomplex elements. Alien life must follow the same periodic table we do. Liquid water exists between 0 and 100C, any planet that does not maintain those temperatures will not sustain life

It amazes me when I hear people who think that maybe the laws of physics don't apply to other galaxies.
so how do you know they dont?....in 1750 how many scientist back then would think its possible to build a flying machine carrying 300 people to the other side of the planet?.....or go to the moon?....these guys think its possible...
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/09/100909004112.htm
300 years ago, we had very little knowledge of the laws of physics. We could not then have imagined that there were laws allowing or prohibiting it.
so we advance and learn new things....who knows what they will be able to do 300 hundred years from now.....

So what does that mean? Do you think it means that given enough time we could break the laws of physics? That doesn't follow logically.

Why you can't travel at the speed of light

Another feature that emerges from special relativity is that, as something speeds up, its mass increases compared with its mass at rest, with the mass of the moving object determined by multiplying its rest mass by the Lorentz factor. This increase in relativistic mass makes every extra unit of energy you put into speeding up the object less effective at making it actually move faster.

As the speed of the object increases and starts to reach appreciable fractions of the speed of light (c), the portion of energy going into making the object more massive gets bigger and bigger.

This explains why nothing can travel faster than light – at or near light speed, any extra energy you put into an object does not make it move faster but just increases its mass

just say we dont know RW....because we dont....you have a mind kinda like lots of republicans,just believe what we can see or detect and of course everything out there has to be like it is here.....what else can there be?....oh thats right that episode of lost in space.....i thought liberals were supposed to be open minded and open to things that just might be different from what we know....was dean lying?.....
I think we do know

They have to play by the same rules of physics and chemistry we do. They have the same building blocks for life that we use. The end result of those building blocks may look differently but the blocks are constrained by the same basic elements we use. Hydrogen, Oxygen, Carbon, Nitrogen
so you can say that for certain about a galaxy 600 million light years from here right?...how about going into a black hole?....will everything be the same on the other side?....
Laws of physics vary throughout the universe, new study suggests
Newtonian physics would not change. Theoretical physics at the atomic level may change in things like worm holes or at the speed of light. Living organisms would be more constrained by Newtonian physics
Life is fragile and is impacted by extremes in temperature, pressure, and extreme velocities. Travel near the speed of light affects things at the atomic level. Organisms are unlikely to survive at half the speed of light That is Einstein speaking not me.
Einstein lived a century ago....look how science has advanced since his time....how about a hundred years from now?.....how about 2 hundred years?....im sure glad people with your limited mindset are not in charge of scientific advancement....
You need to look at how it is changing. It is theoretical at the particle level and what happens at the extremes.
We have particle accelerators right now that do not reach the speed of light. We can examine changes to those particles as they reach extremely high speeds. Changes in mass and density as well as generation of heat.
Now look at an organic cell or a living organism. It could not survive at the speed of light
RW in 300 years your ideas here may be considered as primitive as 18th century medicine is considered today....

Why you can't travel at the speed of light

Another feature that emerges from special relativity is that, as something speeds up, its mass increases compared with its mass at rest, with the mass of the moving object determined by multiplying its rest mass by the Lorentz factor. This increase in relativistic mass makes every extra unit of energy you put into speeding up the object less effective at making it actually move faster.

As the speed of the object increases and starts to reach appreciable fractions of the speed of light (c), the portion of energy going into making the object more massive gets bigger and bigger.

This explains why nothing can travel faster than light – at or near light speed, any extra energy you put into an object does not make it move faster but just increases its mass
and of course centuries from now they wont find ways to get around those obstacles....you are a pretty closed minded person RW which i am surprised at....

I think we do know

They have to play by the same rules of physics and chemistry we do. They have the same building blocks for life that we use. The end result of those building blocks may look differently but the blocks are constrained by the same basic elements we use. Hydrogen, Oxygen, Carbon, Nitrogen
so you can say that for certain about a galaxy 600 million light years from here right?...how about going into a black hole?....will everything be the same on the other side?....
Newtonian physics would not change. Theoretical physics at the atomic level may change in things like worm holes or at the speed of light. Living organisms would be more constrained by Newtonian physics
Life is fragile and is impacted by extremes in temperature, pressure, and extreme velocities. Travel near the speed of light affects things at the atomic level. Organisms are unlikely to survive at half the speed of light That is Einstein speaking not me.
Einstein lived a century ago....look how science has advanced since his time....how about a hundred years from now?.....how about 2 hundred years?....im sure glad people with your limited mindset are not in charge of scientific advancement....
You need to look at how it is changing. It is theoretical at the particle level and what happens at the extremes.
We have particle accelerators right now that do not reach the speed of light. We can examine changes to those particles as they reach extremely high speeds. Changes in mass and density as well as generation of heat.
Now look at an organic cell or a living organism. It could not survive at the speed of light
RW in 300 years your ideas here may be considered as primitive as 18th century medicine is considered today....
In 300 years we still will have not travelled faster than than light

Science Fiction is still fiction

and 300 years ago they laughed at the idea of flying in a machine to the moon...you remind me of the guy who said back in 1899 "Everything that can be invented has been invented."....pretty close minded RW....you sure your not one of those people dean talks about?....

so pred do you believe in a "god" or a higher power that put us here?...or did we just pop up out of two atoms colliding billions of years ago?....

Well this is kinda irrelevant but ok, I personally believe that we evolved gradually out of a universe that popped out of an event at the beginning of time. That is how God did it.
is god not an alien?....would not a being that can do that contact us anytime he wants and just may have many times in the past?...why create life and not check up on what you created periodically?...

You are asking me to explain God's motivations and machinations? You have a higher opinion of me than even I do.
i heard you are top notch....dont let me down....

and 300 years ago they laughed at the idea of flying in a machine to the moon...you remind me of the guy who said back in 1899 "Everything that can be invented has been invented."....pretty close minded RW....you sure your not one of those people dean talks about?....

And we are still bound by the same physics and chemistry they were 300 years ago.
In spite of your fascination with warp speed if Scotty can get you more power, we have seen what happens when particles are accelerated.
In spite of your fantasies that life can form on barren planets because their life forms are different......it won't happen. The basic compound H2O is essential

Back to the OP. An intelligent life form capable of contacting us would be at such a great distance that we would never know it.

And we are still bound by the same physics and chemistry they were 300 years ago.
In spite of your fascination with warp speed if Scotty can get you more power, we have seen what happens when particles are accelerated.
In spite of your fantasies that life can form on barren planets because their life forms are different......it won't happen. The basic compound H2O is essential

Back to the OP. An intelligent life form capable of contacting us would be at such a great distance that we would never know it.
and you are still bound by the same close mindedness that people like Galileo and Copernicus had to put up with..people with your mindset RW have been the bane of thinkers for centuries......no need to try to do anything different or new because as you say it wont work.....

and you are still bound by the same close mindedness that people like Galileo and Copernicus had to put up with..people with your mindset RW have been the bane of thinkers for centuries......no need to try to do anything different or new because as you say it wont work.....
They also dreamed about time travel and turning lead into gold

You are welcome to your Sci-fi fantasies. I understand their limitations

you sound just like those guys dean says are anti science .....they think we are at our limits of science and technology too,just maintain everything,we cant go no further...

Wilbur and Orville used to dream about flying in a machine.....

you sound just like those guys dean says are anti science .....they think we are at our limits of science and technology too,just maintain everything,we cant go no further...
Are you saying Einstein was anti science?
He is the one saying travel at the speed of light is not possible. You will not find many scientists who would agree with you

It seems you are anti science

He is the one saying travel at the speed of light is not possible. You will not find many scientists who would agree with you

It seems you are anti science
did i say that?or did you just say it?.....just like dean you try to change what someone is talking about...you had better tell NASA that,they think like i do....

NASA starts building faster-than-light warp engine

I think we do know

Instead of RW just being considered a loon and a dweeb?

sure, why not?

Wilbur and Orville used to dream about flying in a machine.....

My friend, if we follow your logic, then ALL things are possible given enough time. That simply isn't true. Physics, Chemistry, Math, etc., must have rules or everything in this universe ceases to exist or function. These laws MUST be obeyed.

Could there be a way around the laws? Perhaps. Like wormholes, and folding space-time. But not only has that hope all but vanished, there never was any certainty that humans or life for that matter, could survive the trip.

Forum List

Back