Most Gun Owners Are Not NRA Members And Don't Agree With It Either

skews13

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2017
It's widely acknowledged that the National Rifle Association is one of the nation's most influential advocacy groups. They've successfully lobbied against the expansion of federal gun control policies in the post-Newtown era, and supported numerous state-level policy changes that broadened access to guns. Through campaign donations and popular legislator scorecards they exert considerable influence on federal gun law making.

Given its high profile, it's easy to assume that the NRA represents the voice of American gun owners. But in fact, the organization's membership numbers and survey data point a different picture. Only a small fraction of the nation's gun owners are NRA members. Even among NRA members, there is widespread dissent from some key points of the organization's orthodoxy. And on many gun control issues, the majority of gun owners who aren't affiliated with the NRA hold opinions closer to those of non-gun owners than to those of NRA members.

imrs.php

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-agree-with-it-either/?utm_term=.1ea5198df7c9

big deal , course there are others and some prefer them to the NRA . NRA was always seen as too wussy up until a few years ago so people would join up with --- jpfo.org --- or GOA , GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA or others . And some don't join up with any of them because they aren't joiners Skews . [yeah . its a free country] And i didn't click your link Skews .

It's widely acknowledged that the National Rifle Association is one of the nation's most influential advocacy groups. They've successfully lobbied against the expansion of federal gun control policies in the post-Newtown era, and supported numerous state-level policy changes that broadened access to guns. Through campaign donations and popular legislator scorecards they exert considerable influence on federal gun law making.

Given its high profile, it's easy to assume that the NRA represents the voice of American gun owners. But in fact, the organization's membership numbers and survey data point a different picture. Only a small fraction of the nation's gun owners are NRA members. Even among NRA members, there is widespread dissent from some key points of the organization's orthodoxy. And on many gun control issues, the majority of gun owners who aren't affiliated with the NRA hold opinions closer to those of non-gun owners than to those of NRA members.

imrs.php

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-agree-with-it-either/?utm_term=.1ea5198df7c9
I am a gun owner, supporter of the 2nd Amendment, and am NOT a member of the NRA....they've gone off the deep end.

What are you lawless gun control freaks whining about now?

Their boogeyman......the NRA

Our right to keep and bare arms triggers the left like no other issue.

Meh this week or so it's the NRA and guns, next week it will be homos or transgenders, the week after the right to kill innocents in the womb....annoying assholes give me a headache

Liberals wake up each morning knowing they are losers, I take comfort in that.

Meh this week or so it's the NRA and guns, next week it will be homos or transgenders, the week after the right to kill innocents in the womb....annoying assholes give me a headache

Liberals wake up each morning knowing they are losers, I take comfort in that.

They should recognize they are losers and cease annoying the rest of us

imrs.php

This is why I refer to NRA 'types' as gun-lickers generally and not gun-owners. I am a gun owner and know many people that also are but none are gun-lickers. None believe anyone wants to 'take their guns away' en masse, all support in depth background checks before buying a gun, no guns for men that have battered their wives or girlfriends, gun manufacturers held responsible for their products as are all other manufacturers, no large magazines, limited ability to buy and own assault style rifles - with some suggesting things like only registered assault weapons could be bought by gun ranges where people could go and use them, and other common sense regulation of guns which is in the 2nd amendment.

imrs.php

From the Washington Compost, is about as reliable as CNN.... Jeff Bezos a flaming liberal, who also owns Amazon, has over 100 billion dollars and is protected by armed security, yet we are supposed to give our guns up so people like the FBI will fail at protecting US. No thank you...

big deal , course there are others and some prefer them to the NRA . NRA was always seen as too wussy up until a few years ago so people would join up with --- jpfo.org --- or GOA , GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA or others . And some don't join up with any of them because they aren't joiners Skews . [yeah . its a free country] And i didn't click your link Skews .

It's not my link. It's a Washington Post Article link.

If you're not going to read the article before posting on it, then I'll take your reply for what it's worth.

Can you blame them after what happened last week? After all the senseless massacres? The high-school kids are also completely fed up with adults' inaction and being hypocrites. How can an 18-year-old walk into a gun-shop and buy a weapon of war, yet the same teen can't buy a beer?

Can you blame them after what happened last week? After all the senseless massacres? The high-school kids are also completely fed up with adults' inaction and being hypocrites. How can an 18-year-old walk into a gun-shop and buy a weapon of war, yet the same teen can't buy a beer?

Because they can go to war, they can vote....

Because they can go to war, they can vote....

You misunderstood me. They can buy an AR-15, which is a weapon of war, and not meant for a civilized society, yet they can't buy a beer until 21. Enough is enough. No other country has these massacres on a weekly basis.

Forum List

Back