Adverb
then ‎(not comparable)

1. (temporal location) At that time.
    He was happy then.
    • Bible, Genesis xii. 6
      And the Canaanite was then in the land.
  2. (temporal location) Soon afterward.
    He fixed it, then left.
    Turn left, then right, then right again, then keep going until you reach the service station.
    • Bible, Matthew v. 24
      First be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.
  3. (sequence) Next in order; in addition.
    There are three green ones, then a blue one.
  4. (conjunctive) In that case.
    If it’s locked, then we’ll need the key.
    Is it 12 o'clock already? Then it's time for me to leave.
    You don't like potatoes? What do you want me to cook, then?
  5. (sequence) At the same time; on the other hand.
    That’s a nice shirt, but then, so is the other one.
  6. (obsolete) At the time that; when.
    • 1485, Sir Thomas Malory, Le Morte d'Arthur, Book I.23, reprinted 1817, Sir Thomas Malory, William Caxton, Morte d'Arthur: The Byrth, Lyf, and Actes of Kyng Arthur, Volume 1, page 37:
      Than the knyght sawe hym lye soo on the ground, he alyght and was passynge heuy, for he wende he had slayne hym […].
  7. (Britain, dialect, affirmation) Used to contradict an assertion.
    • 2001, Eric Malpass, At the Height of the Moon, page 28,
      ‘She says Indian elephants are tidgy little things.’ ¶ ‘They′re not then.’ Emma was getting heated. ‘They′re –’ ¶ ‘Emma!’ said Jenny sharply. The child subsided.
Synonyms
  • (soon afterward): and then, and so, subsequently, so
  • (next in order): and then
=============================================================
Conjunction
than
  1. (obsolete outside dialects, usually used with for) Because; for.
    • 1854, Reformation series:
      If thou say yes, then puttest thou on Christ (that is, the wisdome of God, the Father) unkunning, unpower, or euil will: for than he could not make his rule so good as an other did his.
    • 1668, William Lawson, A way to get wealth:
      You shall also take the fine earth or mould which is found in the hollow of old Willow trees, rising from the root almost to the middle of the Tree, at least so far as the tree is hollow, for than this, there is no earth or mould finer or richer.
    • 1665, Stillingfleet, Laud, Carwell, A rational account of the grounds of Protestant religion:
      Answer me if you can, any other way, than because the Scriptures, which are infallible, Say so.
  2. Used in comparisons, to introduce the basis of comparison.
    she's taller than I am; she found his advice more witty than helpful; we have less work today than we had yesterday; it's bigger than I thought it was‎
Preposition
than
  1. introduces a comparison, and is associated with comparatives, and with words such as more, less, and fewer. Typically, it seeks to measure the force of an adjective or similar description between two predicates.
    Patients diagnosed more recently are probably surviving an average of longer than two years.

People like to say stuff other people don't like, some people get mad and post their whinny shit on the net for everyone to see

we should make speech illegal

That will fix everything

Forum List

Back