More Honda Magic

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I believe I have posted here before about how the Honda Motor Company often makes products that are different from everyone else, but eventually turn out to be (at least arguably) better than everything else in the marketplace. The examples are numerous, but include the Honda Goldwing, the S2000, the CRX, the ST1100 and Pacific Coast (PC800).

Still in the process of seeking out the perfect small pickup truck, I recently started doing some research on the Honda Ridgeline.

Like most Americans, when I first saw the Honda Ridgeline I concluded that it was an over-priced, dorky-looking, half-assed, poorly executed Japanese imitation of a pickup truck. No steel frame, skimpy bed, what's the point?

The first thing to consider is that most pickup trucks are not really purchased or used primarily as pickup trucks. The classic 8-foot bed, regular cab, "work truck" is purchased by farmers and small businessmen and tradesmen, but most "people" who buy a truck for their personal use either buy an extended cab or "crew cab" model on which the truck bed is only 4-feet and change, and whose main mission in life is hauling people and groceries, with an occasional trip to the lumber yard or the garden store. And when the trip is to the lumber yard, that compromised bed space is not all that great at carrying 4x8 sheets of plywood or 8' 2x4's. Let alone a couple yards of topsoil or mulch.

With this in mind, consider what the Ridgeline brings to the table. The bed is 60" long, but 49-1/2" between the wheel wells - wider than all other small trucks. That means that with the tailgate down, your sheet of plywood will sit flat on a surface that is almost 80" long. And that surface is superior to the steel plate that forms other pickup beds; it won't rust or corrode and it is durable as hell. There is no need for a bed liner in a Ridgeline.

Under the bed is an 8.5 cubic foot, lockable, water-tight "trunk," something no other truck has. And the tailgate can drop down like other trucks, but it also opens like a door, giving easy access to the aforesaid storage compartment.

The back seats in the cabin fold up and out of the way, leaving a huge storage area, easily large enough for two golf bags and pull carts, or a large pile of luggage that you might not want sitting in the open truck bed. And remember, tonneau covers are not secure, so you can't leave anything valuable in a truck bed, even if it is covered.

The Ridgeline comes with an optional roof rack that is ideal for bikes, kayaks, or other "dirty & messy" stuff that you might want to bring but not put in the cabin or the truck bed.

Inside, the Ridgeline is a reasonably comfortable 5-passenger SUV. There are some complaints about the back seat, but it's no worse than other crew cab pickups. The 3.5" V6 engine compares favorably with the 5-cylinder engines available from Government motors and is significantly better than competitive V6's, like Ford's 4.0 or 3.0, or Nissan's 3.3, or the 3.4 available on the Taco. Fuel economy is in line with everyone else's bigger engine -, in the 20mpg range on the highway. I believe the later models have cylinder-deactivation, which results in actual highway mileage that exceeds EPA estimates.

These vehicles are expensive, both new and used, but if you check the various internet peddling sites, you find them being sold with mileage well into 6 figures and looking as good as new. They hold their resale value despite high miles unless they are in really ratty condition.

They are not making Ridgelines right now, but rumor has it that Honda will introduce an "all new" one in late 2015. No matter. I wouldn't spend $40k on a vehicle even if I hit the lottery. My next truck will be my last.

Maybe I'll get a Ridgeline. But I'm leaning toward a Tacoma PreRunner with the V6/6-spd.

Now reread what he posted, for COMPREHENSION this time!

A Ridgeline is a Pilot with the roof removed, no more and no less.

It is more than a Pilot with the roof removed. The structure has been dramatically strengthened. Imagine putting 1300 lbs in the back of a Pilot, AND towing a 5,000 pound trailer. Ain't happening. But the Ridgeline is rated for that.

And even if it were, the analogous American equivalent would the Explorer SportTrac, which is a classic "fail."

The only downside of a Ridgeline that I can see is that it looks ridiculous. As a truck-ish vehicle it is uniquely functional.

It is more than a Pilot with the roof removed. The structure has been dramatically strengthened. Imagine putting 1300 lbs in the back of a Pilot, AND towing a 5,000 pound trailer. Ain't happening. But the Ridgeline is rated for that.

And even if it were, the analogous American equivalent would the Explorer SportTrac, which is a classic "fail."

The only downside of a Ridgeline that I can see is that it looks ridiculous. As a truck-ish vehicle it is uniquely functional.

I'd rather have a Chevy Avalanche.

Actually, no, I would bet it's not. That will more than likely put you over the rear GAWR, and WAY over the vehicle GVWR.

No, wrong. The equivalent would actually be the Chevy Avalanche, more capable than the Pilot in every way. (Offhand, an Avalance can be set up from the factory to tow 10,000+lbs.) Also note: the Sport Trac is more capable than the Ridgeline...1300lb load capacity, ~7000lb tow capacity, 12,000lb GCVWR.

Next time you see a Ridgeline (or a Pilot, or Odyssey, or any other vehicle with independent rear suspension and no load leveling) with a load in it, look closely. The rear tires will be knock-kneed!

Compared to a Ridgeline...I'd rather have a neon-pink Pacer with green polka dots.

Compared to a Ridgeline...I'd rather have a neon-pink Pacer with green polka dots.

I wouldn't go that far, but yeah I completely don't see the need for such a vehicle. It's right up there with those stepside pickups GM made for awhile that had fiberglass beds and thus a 500 lb load capacity. WTF?

Forum List

Back