MORE bad news...this is really not my week...

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
My grandma just called, to tell me that my grandfather (my mom's dad, the retired AF one) has prostate cancer. They didn't want to tell anyone about the whole thing until they found out for sure.

He goes in for surgery on 8/8, to remove the tumor, and a few lymph nodes for testing to make sure it hasn't spread. They did a bone scan, and that came back normal, so it looks pretty good for him, really.

What sucks is after the surgery, he will have a catheter for 2 weeks, and restricted activity for a total of 6 weeks. This means no long car rides, no lawncare, no nothing. Thus, he will miss my son's birthday party on 8/13. My son is their only great-grandchild. I will probably drive up there the day after, to visit.

These are the grandparents from whom we bought our house from, and I am REALLY close to. They retired last year and moved 4 hours north, to a small town called Marble, MN. I would have a harder time with them being that far, had I not been able to purchase the house.

I guess I am asking for prayers and support in this. There isn't much else to say yet, until the tests for the lymph nodes come back. As I have stated to Merlin, my paternal grandmother had leukemia, so this is nothing new as far as emotionally, but it's just harder when they are so far away.

Really, right now the only thing keeping me going is HP book 6 is out in less than a week. I am so looking forward to the barnes&noble party.

fuzzykitten99 said:
My grandma just called, to tell me that my grandfather (my mom's dad, the retired AF one) has prostate cancer. They didn't want to tell anyone about the whole thing until they found out for sure.

He goes in for surgery on 8/8, to remove the tumor, and a few lymph nodes for testing to make sure it hasn't spread. They did a bone scan, and that came back normal, so it looks pretty good for him, really.

What sucks is after the surgery, he will have a catheter for 2 weeks, and restricted activity for a total of 6 weeks. This means no long car rides, no lawncare, no nothing. Thus, he will miss my son's birthday party on 8/13. My son is their only great-grandchild. I will probably drive up there the day after, to visit.

These are the grandparents from whom we bought our house from, and I am REALLY close to. They retired last year and moved 4 hours north, to a small town called Marble, MN. I would have a harder time with them being that far, had I not been able to purchase the house.

I guess I am asking for prayers and support in this. There isn't much else to say yet, until the tests for the lymph nodes come back. As I have stated to Merlin, my paternal grandmother had leukemia, so this is nothing new as far as emotionally, but it's just harder when they are so far away.

Really, right now the only thing keeping me going is HP book 6 is out in less than a week. I am so looking forward to the barnes&noble party.

Fuzzy he's added to my list. ((((hugs))))

That has to be REALLY stressful.
Last spring, my maternal grandfather had a small heart attack. It was horrible, since it pretty much turned an active, independent man into a crippled person who had to rely on everyone for everything. He existed, but I knew in my heart that he would eventually die, because he had little left to live for.
So you go for several months, wondering when THAT call would come. When the person who taught you so much about life and overcoming serious adversity would pass away. When he finally died last summer, I was devastated. I felt even worse for my mom, who had deal with her grief and moderate a stupid feud over where he would be buried.

My mom has told me that grandparents are a temporary gift from God. You learn from them and enjoy their presence until their life span is up. Then you take what you learned and pass it on to the next generation.

FuzzyKitten, I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

I am very sorry. He and your family will be added to the prayer list.

My dad is also going through treatment as we speak. His fourth bout with cancer (mantel cell - non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) in the last 10 years.

Medical science has progressed remarkably. Between everyone's prayers and positive feelings from our hearts, things will be fine.

its really hard to think of something like this hitting my grandparents. They are not your average grandparents. my grandma is 63 and grandpa is 61. my grandma drives a tricked-out '89 Chevy 4x4, complete with dual exhaust, oversize tires, etc. My grandpa just bought a 2005 chevy impala SS. They both go ATV-ing any chance they get-spring is their favorite because of all the mud. my grandpa goes from Duluth to Iron River, Mi on snowmobile every January. He is a genius with woodworking. They are just so cool. I know they both will one day be gone, but I want them to be around at least another 20-30 years. They are so active, it's sad to see them both grounded due to something beyond their control.

fuzzykitten99 said:

Well ... here's some encouragment....

My Dad was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer about 7 years ago and was told that he had to have it removed completely. Well.... it was stressful, sure.... but after that he was completely cured.

He hasn't had any thing show up since then, he's back to normal (gardening, giving me and my mom a hard time etc etc etc :) )

So..... yes, it's scary but he'll be better off for it!

I'll keep you in my prayers!

KM

KarlMarx said:
Well ... here's some encouragment....

My Dad was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer about 7 years ago and was told that he had to have it removed completely. Well.... it was stressful, sure.... but after that he was completely cured.

He hasn't had any thing show up since then, he's back to normal (gardening, giving me and my mom a hard time etc etc etc :) )

So..... yes, it's scary but he'll be better off for it!

I'll keep you in my prayers!

KM

Thanks! That made me feel a bit better about the situation. I guess it was just the super-crappy holiday weekend that i had, and then i get hit with this. really, the only thing keeping me sane right now is listening to HP books on cd. A nice break from reality, even if only for 45 minutes to an hour.

and thanks to everyone else for your posts.

i know he will beat this. i just hate to see him miss my son's party on account of it, and the stress that he and grandma must be feeling, when they're supposed to be retired, carefree!

fuzzykitten99 said:
Thanks! That made me feel a bit better about the situation. I guess it was just the super-crappy holiday weekend that i had, and then i get hit with this. really, the only thing keeping me sane right now is listening to HP books on cd. A nice break from reality, even if only for 45 minutes to an hour.

and thanks to everyone else for your posts.

i know he will beat this. i just hate to see him miss my son's party on account of it, and the stress that he and grandma must be feeling, when they're supposed to be retired, carefree!

Also, keep in mind that the survival rate for Prostate Cancer is very high (I believe over 99%), so the chances of him surviving this and leading a healthy normal life are very very good!

P.S. Anyway, if he misses your son's birthday party, can't you schedule a "make up" session for him? You know.... grandpa was sick so we're going to have to have a 2nd birthday party so that he can come over after he's feeling better? :)

I feel your pain. My Father-in-Law has just finished the X-Ray treatment for Prostate Cancer. While he was halfway through the treatment we found out my Step-Father has Lung Cancer (and no he doesn't smoke, nor did he ever smoke). They are attempting to find out where some internal bleeding is from before they can begin the radiation treatment for that, then after the radiation treatment he goes for Chemo....

We will add you again to the list for well-wishes during Meditation!

KarlMarx said:
Also, keep in mind that the survival rate for Prostate Cancer is very high (I believe over 99%), so the chances of him surviving this and leading a healthy normal life are very very good!

P.S. Anyway, if he misses your son's birthday party, can't you schedule a "make up" session for him? You know.... grandpa was sick so we're going to have to have a 2nd birthday party so that he can come over after he's feeling better? :)

we're gonna head up there the next morning, kind of as a surprise. that way, he will still get to see Nathan on his birthday.

Forum List

Back