Moms are turning to crowdfunding to help pay for maternity leave

Get back to me when you succeed in overturning all the special privileges government has granted corporations at taxpayer expense.

Vote libertarian. We're working on exactly that.

I admire your optimism. But first you have to wrest control from the Tea Party that has co-opted so many libertarians and done little more than throw tantrums and wear funny hats.

Once you manage to get them to go stand in the corner, you can work on ending corporate tax breaks for Things That Hurt the Taxpayer.

If that ever happens, I'll be marching right next to you.

Get back to me when you succeed in overturning all the special privileges government has granted corporations at taxpayer expense.

I admire your optimism. But first you have to wrest control from the Tea Party that has co-opted so many libertarians and done little more than throw tantrums and wear funny hats.

Once you manage to get them to go stand in the corner, you can work on ending corporate tax breaks for Things That Hurt the Taxpayer.

The Tea Party are Republicans. I'm talking about the actual Libertarian Party.

They claim to be libertarians, lower case. That's about the only thing they can agree on (well, that and the funny hats).

Meanwhile, the Libertarian Party seems to be running Gary Johnson again, but few people seem to know that. Is it a fund-raising issue?

They claim to be libertarians, lower case. That's about the only thing they can agree on (well, that and the funny hats).

Meanwhile, the Libertarian Party seems to be running Gary Johnson again, but few people seem to know that. Is it a fund-raising issue?

Sure. Funds, press, and - more than anything else - the sense of permanence people grant to the Democrats and Republicans. With the Republicans imploding this could be a good year for us. But it's hard to have much hope in light of the kind of mentality driving the shift.

But Johnson hasn't been nominated yet. The national convention is being held at the end of May.

Moms Are Turning To Crowdfunding To Help Pay For Maternity Leave
This is just sad. The only industrial nation that DOES NOT have paid maternity leave....disgusting. Obama and the democrats had 2 years to get this done with majorities in Congress and did NOTHING.

Sounds like family is funding it.

That's great !

I would think this would be one more way for companies to compete for top talent.

Really? Because the U.S. Military allows for 12 weeks of maternity leave.

They also allow 6 weeks for the father.

Seems that the military (a government job) provides better than some civilian jobs.

This is just sad. The only industrial nation that DOES NOT have paid maternity leave....disgusting. Obama and the democrats had 2 years to get this done with majorities in Congress and did NOTHING.

That's great !

I would think this would be one more way for companies to compete for top talent.

Seems that the military (a government job) provides better than some civilian jobs.

There are plenty of good reasons to offer such leave. The question is whether such benefits should be a concern of government. In my opinion, they should not. It doesn't properly fall under the Commerce Clause, or any other power of Congress. And, outside the technical legality, it's just a bad idea to give government the power to dictate personal economic decisions.

What does government have to do with whether your employer pays you to have children?
YAWN. If you can't or don't comprehend how the US is the ONLY civilized nation that doesn't offer then you are one of the ones who obviously doesn't care and therefore its useless to even try explaining.

Why on earth should an employer have to pay someone a salary when they are not working?

Sorry but if you want a kid then you save up your vacation time and pay your own fucking way

What does government have to do with whether your employer pays you to have children?
YAWN. If you can't or don't comprehend how the US is the ONLY civilized nation that doesn't offer then you are one of the ones who obviously doesn't care and therefore its useless to even try explaining.

Why on earth should an employer have to pay someone a salary when they are not working?

Providing employees with a stable income that allows them the flexibility to live a full life, to be with their family when needed without taking a hit financially, is a great way to attract employees.

Providing employees with a stable income that allows them the flexibility to live a full life, to be with their family when needed without taking a hit financially, is a great way to attract employees.

See how long your business lasts when you have to pay people their full salary for months on end every time they have a kid

It's up to the individual to fund his own lifestyle. Like I said save up your vacation time and use that as your leave. I have no problem with some unpaid leave but no way should an employer ever be forced to pay someone who is not working

See how long your business lasts when you have to pay people their full salary for months on end every time they have a kid ...

That depends on how you form the policy. I'm currently working on one for our company right now. Fortunately, we're not large enough to fall under the legal mandates, so we can set up something that works well for us.

It's up to the individual to fund his own lifestyle. Like I said save up your vacation time and use that as your leave. I have no problem with some unpaid leave but no way should an employer ever be forced to pay someone who is not working

I totally agree that it shouldn't be forced. Government has no business in this at all, other than prohibiting fraud and making sure people fulfill contractual obligations.

That's great !

And, of course, the taxpayers foot the bill.

Good to know our tax dollars are being used in this way.

Thanks for sharing.

That's great !

Thanks for sharing.
Try living in a CIVILIZED world and not some place like Somalia. In a CIVILIZED world we take care of each other.

That's great !

Thanks for sharing.
Try living in a CIVILIZED world and not some place like Somalia. In a CIVILIZED world we take care of each other.

I live in a very civilized world. One where we take care of each other because we want to.

Not one, like Somolia where things are enforced at the end of a gun.

Seems you might want to shove it and wake up.

Do you have paternity leave over there ?
I got a fortnight off for each of my kids. It was much appreciated. Used to get a days holiday for my birthday as well. It made me feel appreciated and in return I would go the extra mile for the company.

There is only one reason to give someone a paid leave they aren't really entitled to get. They are being eased out of the company and candidates are trying out for their job.

There is only one reason to give someone a paid leave they aren't really entitled to get. They are being eased out of the company and candidates are trying out for their job.

Sounds like someone's speaking from personal experience.

Not too long ago, pregnant women were required to leave their jobs and never come back. Men might be allowed the day their child was born off, but that was it.

This is part of that nostalgia for the Fifties some of you pine for...especially since it's got nothing to do with you.

Employers who want good employee morale and company loyalty provide a decent amount of maternity leave. Some even provide day care on corporate premises.

Not too long ago, pregnant women were required to leave their jobs and never come back. Men might be allowed the day their child was born off, but that was it.

This is part of that nostalgia for the Fifties some of you pine for...especially since it's got nothing to do with you.

Employers who want good employee morale and company loyalty provide a decent amount of maternity leave. Some even provide day care on corporate premises.
Pregnant women get sick time and vacation time. They can accumulate comp time. Letting men have the day off is incredibly generous since they aren't sick, injured or have given birth.

Pregnant women get sick time and vacation time. They can accumulate comp time. Letting men have the day off is incredibly generous since they aren't sick, injured or have given birth.

And God forbid any man should have time to spend with his wife and his newborn baby, much less a chance to make sure all the details are taken care of so that when his wife comes home she can just relax and not worry about the laundry or the groceries or any of that, right?

People who want children should suffer, maybe more than people who have abortions, right? It's their fault for assuming they can have a work life in addition to just spawning, right?

I mean, June Cleaver never had a job. Ward never got a day off, but the kids survived, right?

Welcome to the 19th century.

It's funny how what is a "good idea" now has to be legislated.

Maybe it isn't such a good idea.

Naaawwwww.......

The asswipes on the left want to take us to a new level......a new level of dependency.

Wonder what happens when small businesses have to give out those days off ?

I never had a day off when my kids were born. Didn't seem to cause much trouble.

Forum List

Back