Mitt Romney: We don’t need more cops, firefighters or teachers

Well--who says--we need more cops--fireman and teachers? Who told you that--and what statistic is that based upon. What if we have enough of the above already---or is this a "feely good" way to waste more taxpayer dollars? It's like saying we need more military--LOL

Cities That Have Fired Their Police Forces

But I really think the GOP should totally embrace the "no cops, firefighters or teachers" strategy. Sounds like a real winner for y'all.

Did you bother to read your own link? In every case law enforcement duties shifted to the county sherriff. In no case were citizens worse off.
FAIL.

Yes, duties were shifted to already overtaxed county Sheriffs departments. These actions are not what is best for the citizens of a town or city...but please keep embracing the less cops, firefighters and teachers meme. It's a winner! :badgrin:

Cities That Have Fired Their Police Forces

But I really think the GOP should totally embrace the "no cops, firefighters or teachers" strategy. Sounds like a real winner for y'all.

Did you bother to read your own link? In every case law enforcement duties shifted to the county sherriff. In no case were citizens worse off.
FAIL.

Yes, duties were shifted to already overtaxed county Sheriffs departments. These actions are not what is best for the citizens of a town or city...but please keep embracing the less cops, firefighters and teachers meme. It's a winner! :badgrin:

opinion, not fact.

FAIL.

opinion, not fact.

No more opinion than Rabid's regarding citizens being no worse off. I actually work for local county government and I know for a fact that our Sheriffs Department is overtaxed and understaffed. Wanna bet a google search would come up with quite a few more departments making the same claim?

Tell me honestly, do you REALLY believe that less firefighters, cops and teachers are a good thing? Do you truly support your candidates position that class size doesn't matter?

opinion, not fact.

No more opinion than Rabid's regarding citizens being no worse off. I actually work for local county government and I know for a fact that our Sheriffs Department is overtaxed and understaffed. Wanna bet a google search would come up with quite a few more departments making the same claim?

Tell me honestly, do you REALLY believe that less firefighters, cops and teachers are a good thing? Do you truly support your candidates position that class size doesn't matter?

So because your sherriff's dept is overtaxed that means all the ones you cited are overtaxed as well?
Sounds like the only one overtaxed are the citizens of the towns you mentioned.
FAIL

Funding of state, county (parish), and local police, firefighters, and teachers is not the province of the United States government. See Article I, Section 8, and the Tenth Amendment of the Constitution. It is ENTIRELY up to the affected governments to decide what staffing is required and to fund it.

Police do not "prevent" crime in any direct sense of the word. One could argue that in apprehending criminals they indirectly prevent future crimes, but that is no justification for adding police in cases where there is no demonstrated case of a shortage. Firefighters do not prevent fires, but merely - in the best cases - prevent fires from spreading to nearby structures, and occasionally (Hooray!) facilitate the saving of a life. More firefighters = more lives saved? Pure speculation. Not a Federal Government call at all.

Barry revealed much more than he actually intended last week when he intimated that "the private sector is doing fine," and what we really need is for governors and mayors, etc., to hire more government employees.

What fool could not realize that in hiring a single government employee, we are saddling the funding taxpayers with a million dollars or more in pay, benefits, and retirement costs over the remaining life of that employee? And for what? To reduce the unemployment statistics by ONE (1)?

A private sector hire, on the other hand is a NET BENEFIT to the taxpayers, not a cost, as that employee will be paying INTO the public treasury for the remainder of his working life.

If there is money available to "attack the unemployment problem," then that money MUST be allocated to strategically-crafted tax credits and deductions, designed to encourage the private sector to employ more people in productive capacities (and NOT a new "Diversity Officer," for goodness sake!).

That is the core difference between Barry & his Progressives, and the "right-wing extremist conservatives." Barry wants to "solve" the unemployment problem by creating more financial obligations for the already-overtaxed and overburdened taxpayers, and the Right Wing Whacko's want to solve the unemployment problem by creating productive jobs in the private sector. It couldn't be any more stark than that.

How could anyone vote for this guy?

opinion, not fact.

So because your sherriff's dept is overtaxed that means all the ones you cited are overtaxed as well?
FAIL

A couple of towns in my county have switched to the Sheriff's Department and closed their police departments which overtaxes our Sheriff's department even further. The fail, as usual, is yours.

Funding of state, county (parish), and local police, firefighters, and teachers is not the province of the United States government. See Article I, Section 8, and the Tenth Amendment of the Constitution. It is ENTIRELY up to the affected governments to decide what staffing is required and to fund it.

Police do not "prevent" crime in any direct sense of the word. One could argue that in apprehending criminals they indirectly prevent future crimes, but that is no justification for adding police in cases where there is no demonstrated case of a shortage. Firefighters do not prevent fires, but merely - in the best cases - prevent fires from spreading to nearby structures, and occasionally (Hooray!) facilitate the saving of a life. More firefighters = more lives saved? Pure speculation. Not a Federal Government call at all.

Barry revealed much more than he actually intended last week when he intimated that "the private sector is doing fine," and what we really need is for governors and mayors, etc., to hire more government employees.

What fool could not realize that in hiring a single government employee, we are saddling the funding taxpayers with a million dollars or more in pay, benefits, and retirement costs over the remaining life of that employee? And for what? To reduce the unemployment statistics by ONE (1)?

A private sector hire, on the other hand is a NET BENEFIT to the taxpayers, not a cost, as that employee will be paying INTO the public treasury for the remainder of his working life.

If there is money available to "attack the unemployment problem," then that money MUST be allocated to strategically-crafted tax credits and deductions, designed to encourage the private sector to employ more people in productive capacities (and NOT a new "Diversity Officer," for goodness sake!).

That is the core difference between Barry & his Progressives, and the "right-wing extremist conservatives." Barry wants to "solve" the unemployment problem by creating more financial obligations for the already-overtaxed and overburdened taxpayers, and the Right Wing Whacko's want to solve the unemployment problem by creating productive jobs in the private sector. It couldn't be any more stark than that.

How could anyone vote for this guy?

All your assumptions are entirely ridiculous.

First off..private business cannot exist in an environment that is not secure. You may believe that the police and fire department's entire role is to protect citizens..but that's not altogether true. They exist as part of an infrastructure to create a secure space in which business can function. Thus the role of firefighters and police pay off in many different ways. First they allow businesses to perform BAU without the worry of having to police themselves or guard against fire. This includes maintaining public order. So not only are they providing necessary services that would be much more costly if provided by private entities..they are paying back into the tax base. They are also consumers.

Teachers in the same regard..provide business with an educated workforce. Again adding to the environment and infrastructure that allows business to flourish.

This is true with almost all city, state and federal workers.

The private sector, on the other hand, sometimes drains from the public coffers even as it provides jobs. Many of these jobs salaries do not meet the wages required to live in some of the areas they function in..and government generally has to pick up the cost of the "cheap" labor. Additionally, disparity in wealth leads to less consumption..and less tax revenues. And this happens while services are still required to keep businesses safe, secure and able to conduct commerce.

You guys are not very much into the big picture, are yas?

Last edited:
Since the federal government has nothing to do with police or firefighters who are paid by cities or counties and nothing to do with teachers who are state employees, his arguments that Romney doesn't want more of these public servants fall a bit short. What His Barryness intends is grants to local government with federal strings, that will eventually give the federal government total control over these agencies. The local beat cop will no longer be answerable to the public he serves but masters in Washington.

Not exactly the best idea.

FAIL

A couple of towns in my county have switched to the Sheriff's Department and closed their police departments which overtaxes our Sheriff's department even further. The fail, as usual, is yours.
Again, the plural of anecdote is not proof.
Fail. Once again. You are making a habit of this with every post. Take a stupid pill this morning?

Since the federal government has nothing to do with police or firefighters who are paid by cities or counties and nothing to do with teachers who are state employees, his arguments that Romney doesn't want more of these public servants fall a bit short. What His Barryness intends is grants to local government with federal strings, that will eventually give the federal government total control over these agencies. The local beat cop will no longer be answerable to the public he serves but masters in Washington.

Not exactly the best idea.

Like I said..not very much into the big picture..are you guys..

Reagan, Bush, Clinton, and Bush II provided funding to hire city and state employees. Obama's stimulus, which was suppose to be used for infrastructure spending, was used by many states to plug up holes caused by tax cuts.

This entire idea of Romney wanting to prevent the hiring of future emergency service workers and teachers is bogus.

What Romney wants is for people to understand that president Obama wishes to raise taxes and focus money on this sector of public employes, as well as other public employee jobs-not the economy as a whole. This, in a time when we need to trim government- not grow it.

Remember, Romney's speech, came on the heels of a president who is so out of touch that he stated "the private sector is doing fine".

Most state budgets that pay for teachers; firefighters; police are part of their general fund. It has been argued in a number of states, mine included, that these service agencies need to be put into their own budget. Of course this would prevent liberals from trotting out their jobs each time budget cuts, aka "no new taxes" are promoted.

The Big Picture is that the various "Stimuli" funded the hiring of superfluous government employees (police, firefighters, teachers, etc) at the state and local levels, and "nice-to-have" programs. The Democrats foresaw that when the stimulus money ran out, the state and local officials who "failed" to continue funding these people and programs would be seen as "making drastic cuts to staffing and programs," thus playing into Democrats' hands in future elections.

Competent governments employ what is called, "Zero-based Budgeting," which challenges every program at the planning stage of every budget, and eliminates it if it is not necessary or efficacious. In the Democrats' view this is intolerable. Every employee and every program "deserves" to be continued in perpetuity, and woe to the heartless bastard who suggests otherwise.

Again, it is up to each government to decide how much police and fire protection are required, and how many teachers are required to carry out their missions. For a sitting President to simply say, "Hire more!" is stupid and irresponsible - which is why it reverberates with Liberals so greatly.

This entire idea of Romney wanting to prevent the hiring of future emergency service workers and teachers is bogus.

What Romney wants is for people to understand that president Obama wishes to raise taxes and focus money on this sector of public employes, as well as other public employee jobs-not the economy as a whole. This, in a time when we need to trim government- not grow it.

Remember, Romney's speech, came on the heels of a president who is so out of touch that he stated "the private sector is doing fine".

Most state budgets that pay for teachers; firefighters; police are part of their general fund. It has been argued in a number of states, mine included, that these service agencies need to be put into their own budget. Of course this would prevent liberals from trotting out their jobs each time budget cuts, aka "no new taxes" are promoted.

If Romney needs you to translate, he's probably not a very good communicator.

Cute- but no, Romney was clear. It's liberals who always want to muddy the waters. I believe using the term "remember" signifies a pointing back to- not an interpretation of, an event.

But what has gone largely unnoticed was Obama's complaint that it's the government that's hurting these days. "Where we're seeing weaknesses in our economy," he said Friday, "have to do with state and local government."

Even when he tried to walk back his comment later that day, Obama said that the private sector is showing "some good momentum" but the bigger problem is state and local government cutbacks.

And over the weekend, Obama's top adviser, David Axelrod, argued that the private sector is "certainly doing better than the public sector."

But a review of data from several government sources paints a different picture. State and local government spending and revenues are up, and while state and local government jobs are down slightly, these losses pale in comparison with the damage done to private-sector jobs over the past four years.

Here's a rundown:

State spending: Despite the deep recession and the slow recovery, annual state spending overall hasn't dropped once. In fact, by fiscal 2011, total outlays at the state level were 14% higher than they were in 2008, according to the National Association of State Budget Officers. (See nearby chart.)

Memo To President Obama: The Private Sector May Not Be Doing Fine, But Government Is - Investors.com

Actually you need her to translate.
And if you change the subject you've alrady lost.

Forum List

Back