Mission Still Not Accomplished

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by DeadCanDance, Dec 10, 2007.

1. DeadCanDance

DeadCanDance Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Iraq calmer, but more divided

The U.S. troop buildup has brought down violence, but that has failed to spark cooperation among politicians. If anything, the country appears more balkanized into ethnic and sectarian enclaves.

By Ned Parker, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    December 10, 2007

BAGHDAD -- The U.S. troop buildup in Iraq was meant to freeze the country's civil war so political leaders could rebuild their fractured nation. Ten months later, the country's bloodshed has dropped, but the military strategy has failed to reverse Iraq's disintegration into areas dominated by militias, tribes and parties, with a weak central government struggling to assert its influence.

In the south, Shiite militias are at war for the lucrative oil resources in the Basra region. To the west, in Anbar province, Sunni tribes that once fought U.S. forces now help police the streets and control the highways to Jordan and Syria. In the north, Arabs, Kurds and Turkmens are locked in a battle for the regions around Kirkuk and Mosul. In Baghdad, blast walls partition neighborhoods policed by Sunni paramilitary groups and Shiite militias. '

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...er10dec10,0,4503892.story?coll=la-home-center

Iraq is increasingly a failed state, ruled locally by ethnic or sectarian militias . ..

2. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    The mission that "mission accomplished" applied to was indeed, accomplished. But hey, don't let FACTS get in your way.:rolleyes:

3. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,987
    Yes I do so love the ignorance of this. An Aircraft Carrier that DID in fact accomplish it's mission and was returning to Homeport somehow gets elevated to a war wide statement.

And they are still claiming it. Idiots and morons.

4. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,229
    Well, in comparison, there is the Kerry "he voted for it, before he voted against it" crapola. Same thing really...

5. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,987
    Not even close, the retard SAID it. I love when the Liberals whine about Kerry. You rejects picked someone so fucking bad, Bush got reelected. The Voters picked Bush because you idiots ran against him someone worse. And then to prove how stupid you liberals are you kicked out of the party your 2000 Vice Presidential runner.

So let me see if I have it right? A Navy Carrier that FINISHED its mission has as a banner " Mission Accomplished" and you retards claim it means the whole war. And that compares to Kerry actually saying " I voted for it, before I voted against it" In a blatant attempt to salvage himself from looking stupid to the voters ( and he failed yet again anyway).

6. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,229
    The only retard around here is you.
    My point is, you guys bitch and moan about the mission accomplished statement by Bush being misrepresented by Dems, yet you guys do exactly the same with Kerry and his "I voted for it before I voted against it" statement.

While the Dems try and make out Bush was talking about the Iraq war as a whole, you point out that he was talking about that particular carrier's mission (personally I think it was about toppling the Hussein regime itself).

Yet in the same breath you are saying "kerrr did say what he said". Well, yeah Einstein he did. And do any of you Bush Lovers actually do a little in-depth research as to why he said what he said. Hint: Maybe, just maybe the contents of the bill had changed, which is why he changed his vote.

You go off at Dems wordsmithing, when you are doing exactly the same re Kerrys' comments. IOWs there's more to what he said than just parroting him verbatim.

Pathetic on both counts..

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    You're correct. But... don't you think that the INTENT of the photo op was to create an impression of victorious troops returning home and get people here yelling and cheering that the admin did what it was supposed to without any contemplation of what was needed after?

The fact is that his photo op and the words were intentional. It looks stupid and disingenuous in retrospect because it looks ridiculous in light of the thousands of people who were killed after.

As for the BS Kerry thing... yes, he voted for it when the money was being paid by tax dollars.... and voted against it when it was going to be deficit spending. But those facts didn't matter to the right. Just how it is.

8. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I think the attempt was the same as Eleanor Roosevelt visiting WWII's wounded. It's a morale booster. It doesn't become some dishonest attempt fool anyone simply because you don't like the party's flavor.

There's not a damned thing wrong with celebrating a victorious conclusion, honoring those who brought it about, nor making he American people feel good about what they are doing.

The carrier returning home coincided with the completion of the military invasion of Iraq and removal of Saddam's regime from power. A distinct, separate mission with a beginning an end.

The fact that Kerry changed a single vote means nothing to me, and I have never criticised him for doing so. Just as don't consider "mission accomplished" some nefarious deed when committed by one party but not the other; neither do I consider changing a vote changing a stance on an issue by one side and flip-flopping by the other.

9. doniston

doniston Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Simply your opinion, and apparently very much in the minority.

10. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Actually, it's pretty straight forward and not a matter of opinion.

What was the mission? Easy enough.
    Was it accomplished? Only yes or no.

It's not a matter of opinion.