Minus 22 degrees!

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Maine
-22 degrees when i woke up this morning....that's just not right...:eek:

finally found someone that had seasoned wood and got 2 cords delivered yesterday AT AN ARM AND A LEG, but THANK GOD!

We had that nasty below zero and high winds for about three days. Empty every stick of wood here keeping warm.

We then had a day that was up to 50. We spent that day cutting some more wood to refill the storage area.

Cold again now but at least not zero and high winds for the moment.

Yeah...we're (irony alert) sweating out the possibility of this cold snap continuing to the point where we can no longer afford to heat our home here.

When you're attemting to push your inside temperature 80 degrees higher than the outside air, that 275 gallon tank of # 2 heating fuel doesn't last very long, let me tell yas.

Yeah...we're (irony alert) sweating out the possibility of this cold snap continuing to the point where we can no longer afford to heat our home here.

When you're attemting to push your inside temperature 80 degrees higher than the outside air, that 275 gallon tank of # 2 heating fuel doesn't last very long, let me tell yas.
I feel for you ed. Last year it was natural gas where we were at. I am grateful for the dead trees we had not trimmed here for years. They are sure a blessing this winter.

It's just not right, that anywhere on earth other than the poles, northern canada, siberia and a few other spots, should temps be this low!!!

Warmer temps and snow with it, coming on wednesday....

Cars started, amazingly....but shook, like they were alive and shivering, until they heated up.

my entire living area is filled with wood in every corner that we could fit some....hubby worked for hours yesterday after it was delivered to bring it inside, and stack it neatly outside....

i probably have enough wood inside to get me to wednesday, when the warmer air is suppose to come in...

THank God, no one ever comes to my door and i would have to let them in to this place....they would be tripping over all the wood everywhere! Saves me that embarassment of someone seeing the disaster area in here! :eek:

care

I think our high today will be 72. I think y'all should just abandon ship and move South.
Is that an invitation? Do you have a pool/pond? Will the dog have a few acres to roam around on?

I think our high today will be 72. I think y'all should just abandon ship and move South.
the 70's is lovely, that's what it is like around here for the 4 months of summer...

idealy, i would like to live in Florida near my parents in the winter months and here in maine during the spring, summer and fall....

90 degrees with 90% humidity for 5 straight months is WHY I do not live in the south year round.

the 70's is lovely, that's what it is like around here for the 4 months of summer...

idealy, i would like to live in Florida near my parents in the winter months and here in maine during the spring, summer and fall....

90 degrees with 90% humidity for 5 straight months is WHY I do not live in the south year round.

Plus the massive amount of mosquitoes.

yeah, but we have something called "Black Fly Season" up here and those flies bite like a son of a bitch, and I am alergic to them, swell out like a balloon where they bite and it itches for more than a month, profusely, in the area of the bite!

I have NEVER heard of flies biting? And of course, as i said, i am alergic to the suckers!!! my husband, gets nothing....maybe a tiny little red dot, where they bite him, if they even bite him....it is me that they LOVE.

i spray OFF'S deep woods DEET all over me, before i go out during black fly season...i don't care if deet gives you cancer or some other Gosh aweful sickness, I saturate myself with the stuff just to protect myself from the black flies.

care

Few places on earth are ideal all year round.

Hawaii, is, or so I am informed about the best place on earth in that regard.

I think about moving out of Maine every winter, of course.

Then for a about a month in the Summer I remember why I love the place.

Right now moving isn't an option anyway.

It would take a serious job to get me to even consider it.

People depend on me here, and I'd have to either bring them along or find make enough to help them keep this place going.

yeah, but we have something called "Black Fly Season" up here and those flies bite like a son of a bitch, and I am alergic to them, swell out like a balloon where they bite and it itches for more than a month, profusely, in the area of the bite!

I have NEVER heard of flies biting? And of course, as i said, i am alergic to the suckers!!! my husband, gets nothing....maybe a tiny little red dot, where they bite him, if they even bite him....it is me that they LOVE.

i spray OFF'S deep woods DEET all over me, before i go out during black fly season...i don't care if deet gives you cancer or some other Gosh aweful sickness, I saturate myself with the stuff just to protect myself from the black flies.

care
In the CA mountains we had biting deer flies.

Here we have chiggers. I get an allergic reation from them so it is either lots of deet or avon skin so soft before I go work in the garden.

People depend on me here, and I'd have to either bring them along or find make enough to help them keep this place going.
San Clemente, CA. Year round temps are great. Takes a boat load of money to live there though.

Last edited:

finally found someone that had seasoned wood and got 2 cords delivered yesterday AT AN ARM AND A LEG, but THANK GOD!

I'm sure you're used to it up there in Maine, but when temps drop down like that here, and especially if there is no snow cover I run a little stream to keep the water line from the meter to the house from freezing in the ground. If there's some snow on the ground it's less of a problem. High winds blow through floor systems near outside walls and freeze the water lines there. Run that little stream of water in a sink (or all of them) nearest to an outside wall, especially on the north or west side of the house. Open the cabinet under the kitchen sink or bathrooms to keep a warm air flow.

Really cold weather I like, but frozen water lines (especially copper ones) are a nasty side effect. Back in 92 here in Indiana we had 30 below for about 4 days straight, day and night. Take Care.

San Clemente, CA. Year round temps are great. Takes a boat load of money to live there though.

I lived there for about two years. Rented a small cottage right on the strand (can't remember the name of the street) than runs along the beach and went body surfing damned near ever day.

Mostly nice weather, I agree.

SoCA was too crowded then, so it must twice as bad now.

NoCA wasn't bad, either.

I'd consider that before SoCA if I could find a smaller town north of San Francisco that was fairly laid back.

My troop of young wards would jump at that move, of that I have absolutely no doubt.

I lived there for about two years. Rented a small cottage right on the strand (can't remember the name of the street) than runs along the beach and went body surfing damned near ever day.

Mostly nice weather, I agree.

SoCA was too crowded then, so it must twice as bad now.

NoCA wasn't bad, either.

I'd consider that before SoCA if I could find a smaller town north of San Francisco that was fairly laid back.

My troop of young wards would jump at that move, of that I have absolutely no doubt.
My dad had a spot there on the waterfront at a place that was torned down shortly after his job ended there. The city came in and screwed the owner, took his property and turned it into a Wharf. The guy was a bit touched and his guardian surely did not gaurd him on that one. Mom and dad were both furious with that deal.

People that have no respect for private property ruined CA years ago. Not exactly sure what it will take to return it back to the wonderful state that it used to be.

Last edited:

I'm sure you're used to it up there in Maine, but when temps drop down like that here, and especially if there is no snow cover I run a little stream to keep the water line from the meter to the house from freezing in the ground. If there's some snow on the ground it's less of a problem. High winds blow through floor systems near outside walls and freeze the water lines there. Run that little stream of water in a sink (or all of them) nearest to an outside wall, especially on the north or west side of the house. Open the cabinet under the kitchen sink or bathrooms to keep a warm air flow.

Really cold weather I like, but frozen water lines (especially copper ones) are a nasty side effect. Back in 92 here in Indiana we had 30 below for about 4 days straight, day and night. Take Care.

NO, we are NOT used to it....

we have been here 2 years this month....

the first winter here was litterally warm...

last year's winter was brutal because of the excessive snow fall, but we had no days last year that were in to the double digit sub zero....had a week of sub zero last year but not beyond -9.... the -22 is beyond reason or comprehension for me....(we moved to New England area FROM FLORIDA almost a decade ago)

I live on the coast line, it is SUPPOSE to moderate the wicked temperatures here vs inland...!!!!

The house is nice and toasty now, about 70 degrees which is very warm, compared to the 58-60 degrees i keep my thermostat on, in order to save money on the FRICKING HEATING OIL....

my pipes froze the other day, in the bathroom on the north side of cottage, outside wall of the house as you said....i have been keeping a space heater on low, up there since.....can't wait to get my electric bill! :eek:

The house is nice and toasty now, about 70 degrees which is very warm, compared to the 58-60 degrees i keep my thermostat on, in order to save money on the FRICKING HEATING OIL....
This is deceptive (when the house seems toasty) because those enclosed spaces are still icy cold. It makes you think everything is all A-OK. I recommend you check them all out.

my pipes froze the other day, in the bathroom on the north side of cottage, outside wall of the house as you said....i have been keeping a space heater on low, up there since.....can't wait to get my electric bill! :eek:

I would check those pipes which were frozen. Is the water coming out of the sink yet when you turn the faucets on? If not, then be careful, because when they actually do thaw out, you can find that a pipe has split from the ice expansion, and water will start pouring out onto the floor or between the floors. Sometimes the only hint you get is the water running through the ceiling or from a light fixture onto your kitchen table (hah !).

If those lines are copper (brown) instead of plastic (whitish color) splitting and flooding is common. I'd turn the water shut-off valves "off" (clock-wise). If they won't turn the valve may still be frozen.

I'm sensitive about these problems because I've built houses since 1968, and know all the pitfalls of extreme cold (and from winds) to house plumbing. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I hope you have plastic plumbing supply lines, because copper is the worse!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back