Minimum Wage

And in the op which mentioned the President's State of the Union Address, the President IS NOT calling for Congress raising the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour, and never has called for it....

What Pres. Obama has called the federal minimum wage to be is $10.10 an hour.

Last edited:
Probably because the military provides housing and chow.
But they still deserve more than a fucken burger flipper.
...and a pension and top of the line life and health insurance for themselves AND their family.

That is not comparable to a minimum wage fast food labor job.

Period.

Only idiots cannot comprehend that fact.

...and a pension and top of the line life and health insurance for themselves AND their family.

AFTER retirement, at 20+ years.

If someone is still flipping burgers after 20 years on the job...
^^^^

Says someone who probably can't even flip a burger.

And in the op which mentioned the President's State of the Union Address, the President IS NOT calling for Congress raising the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour, and never has called for it....

What Pres. Obama has called the federal minimum wage to be is $10.10 an hour.
And that is at least $10/hour too low IMO.

Why not pay our military personnel a minimum wage equal to that of a burger flipper?
minimum%20wage.png
They also get free room and board did you add that to their pay?
Free room and board my ass.
Rent is expensive. They get bed, living accommodations, rec room with pool table and multiple tv's. Plus sometimes pool. Plus board, they get awesome omelets for breakfast. 3 huge meals a day. I know I used to be in the military. And if you serve overseas you get COLA. If married you get BAC, and a house. Where else would get a house and it not cost you anything out of your paycheck.

And after 20 years you get to retire with half your pay at the age of 38. I wish I had stayed in for 20. Stay for 30 years and get 3/4 of your pay at the age of 48. Half your life to live and all that money to add to whatever job you happen to get.

Plus college. Plus medical. Damn I should've not gotten out after 4. Best damn job I've ever had.
..until you're depoyed to a battle zone where the 'cushy' room and board is replaced by a need to dodge bullets and kill or be killed. Maybe you were lucky.

What other jobs besides law enforcement are you subject to getting killed at any time? Burger flippers don't have to watch for snipers or IEDs.

According to the NRA and other gun lovers, you are not correct.
Do you not realize how violent our society is? Guns are needed everywhere. Even in fast food joints.....cause you NEVER know who just pulled up in the drive through lane. And whether or not your co worker got the order right......and if not things could get dangerous.

Fry cook at McDonald's is not a no risk job.

What other jobs besides law enforcement are you subject to getting killed at any time? Burger flippers don't have to watch for snipers or IEDs.

According to the NRA and other gun lovers, you are not correct.
Do you not realize how violent our society is? Guns are needed everywhere. Even in fast food joints.....cause you NEVER know who just pulled up in the drive through lane. And whether or not your co worker got the order right......and if not things could get dangerous.

Fry cook at McDonald's is not a no risk job.

Its a low risk specially made for an idiot job!! If any thing , 15 bucks an hour is closer to a starting tech pay than some highschool punk.

Unless you live in New York in which 15 bucks is barely enough to buy a burger and fries at f-ing McDonalds.

If anything, there is a greater need to map the standard of living by locale and try to design minimum wage base on that.

8-14 hours when on a ship or submarine, that would have been nice.
Careful

I don't think you are going to stay in the best room on the Nimintz!!

Or have we changed the flagship?

It is good that there are those who have pointed out that I was a greedy bastard taking pay while being supplied three hots and a flop 100 feet under the water. Fry cooks are worth much more, they have to shampoo their hair each night, or not.

Why not pay our military personnel a minimum wage equal to that of a burger flipper?
minimum%20wage.png

• On raising the min wage --> Sure. I'm okay with that.
  • On comparing what an E1 makes to $31K/year --> Seems a rather myopic comparison.
    • Base pay: $18.3K/year
    • Housing allowance:
      • 20008 Zip Code -- $21.2/year (min; ~$26K max) (tax free)
      • 28311 Zip Code -- $11.5K/year (min)
    • Meals allowance: ~$4.3K/year (tax free)
    • Minimum total compensation: ~$34K/year (about $1200 less per year in Mineola, TX)
    • Benefits:
      • Vacation: 30 days
      • Pension
      • Low cost or free health care, including vision and dental
      • Regular and ongoing training
  • On thanking a vet because the letter is in English --> Inspiring, but really miscasting the reality of the present. The vast majority of the vets whom one should thank have died. The last war the U.S. fought that might have had had any plausible chance of leading to our speaking something other than English was WWII. The Cold War, with its M.A.D. doctrine, was actively a spy's war and passively a sailor's/soldier's war, except to the extent soldiers/sailors participated in spying, which some did.
  • On having one's letter to the editor of the Mineola Monitor --> Just how hard can it be to get a very short essay published in a newspaper that serves a town of ~5K people? Is drivel like that letter typical of what gets published in "small town USA?" If it is, well, now I understand something that had mystified me for some time....

Probably because the military provides housing and chow.
But they still deserve more than a fucken burger flipper.

That is not comparable to a minimum wage fast food labor job.

Period.

Only idiots cannot comprehend that fact.

AFTER retirement, at 20+ years.

If someone is still flipping burgers after 20 years on the job...
^^^^

Says someone who probably can't even flip a burger.

They didn't teach me to flip burgers in the military

Forum List

Back