Minimum Wage

asaratis

Uppity Senior Citizen
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 20, 2009
Stockbridge
Why not pay our military personnel a minimum wage equal to that of a burger flipper?
minimum%20wage.png

Probably because the military provides housing and chow.
But they still deserve more than a fucken burger flipper.
The military got out of that minimum wage thing. When I joined the Army in 1957 I got $78 a month. My father was drafted from an aircraft factory in 1944 making $50 a week. In the Army he started at $21 a month. His unit at graduation was placed in an Infantry Division that crossed the Atlantic and landed in Normandy, 6-6-1944.
Minimum pay? $15 an hour is a fortune!!!

The military got out of that minimum wage thing. When I joined the Army in 1957 I got $78 a month. My father was drafted from an aircraft factory in 1944 making $50 a week. In the Army he started at $21 a month. His unit at graduation was placed in an Infantry Division that crossed the Atlantic and landed in Normandy, 6-6-1944.
Minimum pay? $15 an hour is a fortune!!!

I got $93.00 a month at Fort Benning Georgia in 1966. I volunteered for airborne when they told us we'd get an additional $30.00 (I think) a month for only one jump every three months. Not one of my better decisions.

None of it was free, Slick.

On any given day you could be on duty for 8 to 14 hours.
A friend and I were talking about the good old days in Vietnam and how during one 12 month tour we would go on operations for 4 weeks at a time. Never remove your clothes for 4 weeks. Only taking your boots off as often as you could Taking a bath during a river crossing by squatting in the water with your clothes on. When you finally got back to base camp and could take a shower, only to discover that your shorts had rotted away.All that was free!

None of it was free, Slick.

On any given day you could be on duty for 8 to 14 hours.

I never saw the problem with that myself. On duty for 8 to 14 hours...wow...how did you fly boys manage? ;)
No real problem with it. The usual day. There were others that required more.

I think it's funny how others think we, in the military, work 8 hrs and go home.

BTW, thank you gentlemen for your service.:beer:

...and a pension and top of the line life and health insurance for themselves AND their family.

That is not comparable to a minimum wage fast food labor job.

Period.

Only idiots cannot comprehend that fact.

...and a pension and top of the line life and health insurance for themselves AND their family.

Period.

What other jobs besides law enforcement are you subject to getting killed at any time? Burger flippers don't have to watch for snipers or IEDs.

Period.

AFTER retirement, at 20+ years.

If someone is still flipping burgers after 20 years on the job...

agree, and they do get medical care for them and family if they have one...which is financially a HUGE benefit, and they can retire at 20 years and receive retirement pensions at age 40 until they die at 85 or 90 which is never paid with private firms till in your 60's...

Also, if sent to war, they do get 'combat pay' which is more money added to their base salaries, and the GI Bill helps putting them through college and VA Loans helping them get a mortgage with no money needed for down payment with just 4 years served....

All of these benefits are probably worth 2 to 3 times their actual hourly pay, when said and done....

That ALL being said, they still should make more in salary than what they start out making.

Why not pay our military personnel a minimum wage equal to that of a burger flipper?
minimum%20wage.png
They also get free room and board did you add that to their pay?
Free room and board my ass.
Rent is expensive. They get bed, living accommodations, rec room with pool table and multiple tv's. Plus sometimes pool. Plus board, they get awesome omelets for breakfast. 3 huge meals a day. I know I used to be in the military. And if you serve overseas you get COLA. If married you get BAC, and a house. Where else would get a house and it not cost you anything out of your paycheck.

And after 20 years you get to retire with half your pay at the age of 38. I wish I had stayed in for 20. Stay for 30 years and get 3/4 of your pay at the age of 48. Half your life to live and all that money to add to whatever job you happen to get.

Plus college. Plus medical. Damn I should've not gotten out after 4. Best damn job I've ever had.

Forum List

Back