Minimum Wage is it really enough?

ThatDude30

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Ok, jobs that pay minimum wage I think are for teenagers 16+, to help them build some kind of work ethic before they graduate high school, people who are attending any kind of farther education, older and disabled people who cant do to much, or if you loose your job and have to find something quick. For the most part I think they are temporary jobs.
I was working in a factory, us steel worker, making 15 bucks an hour + extra 75 cents an hour if you worked 2nd or 3rd shit, plus a production rate which would go up and down every quarter depending how well our production was. Had awesome benefits, got paid weekly, had every Saturday and Sunday, and you had to miss 16 unexcused days a year and that would reset every year, before they even considered firing you. I all had at time was a high school diploma. One day I decided to go back to school, and decided to go to all-state career to get a cdl a. Only problem was, school was Monday thru Friday, from 7am-1am, and my job the schedule switched every 2 weeks. You would work 1st shift for 2 weeks, then 2nd and then 3rd. So it wouldn't work. I decided to quit my job and go to get my cdl a.
The cdl program is a 6 month program and I still had a car payment and car insurance to pay every month. So I decided to get a job fast. So I gave fast food a try. That did not last long at all.

Employers who pay their employees expect way to much from their employees., especially if you show them that you can do your job and beyond. To me, a job that pays minimum wage is not worth it. My factory job paid a lot more and had a whole hell of a lot more benefits, and it was easy.

People that are going on strike to raise minimum wage get on my nerves. First off, no one is forcing you to for that pay rate. There are jobs out there that pay good with only education requirement is possessing a high school diploma.

I do think that minimum wage should be higher however. The government raises the minimum wage every once in awhile to make it look like they are actually doing something good for the people. And a lot of people probably don't even know that the cost of living also goes up every once In awhile? Yea you might get paid more, but the prices for everything else such as milk goes up. So are you really getting ahead? If there is going to be a minimum wage requirement, I feel as though, minimum wage should be determined by the increased cost of living and should be calculated to be higher so that, when minimum wage increases you might see a difference for little while and then the cost of living increases and it equals it self out. What is the point? The Government just tries to fool the people into believing they are doing something good, when no body benefits but them, and that increasing minimum wage and cost of living just equals the two out. You are really not making more but the site of your increased pay per hour on your check makes the illusion that you do.

So if you are capable of working and have a family to support or want to live on your own, I suggest getting a higher paying job. Shoot temp agencies pay more then minimum wage

Ok, jobs that pay minimum wage I think are for teenagers 16+, to help them build some kind of work ethic before they graduate high school, people who are attending any kind of farther education, older and disabled people who cant do to much, or if you loose your job and have to find something quick. For the most part I think they are temporary jobs.
I was working in a factory, us steel worker, making 15 bucks an hour + extra 75 cents an hour if you worked 2nd or 3rd shit, plus a production rate which would go up and down every quarter depending how well our production was. Had awesome benefits, got paid weekly, had every Saturday and Sunday, and you had to miss 16 unexcused days a year and that would reset every year, before they even considered firing you. I all had at time was a high school diploma. One day I decided to go back to school, and decided to go to all-state career to get a cdl a. Only problem was, school was Monday thru Friday, from 7am-1am, and my job the schedule switched every 2 weeks. You would work 1st shift for 2 weeks, then 2nd and then 3rd. So it wouldn't work. I decided to quit my job and go to get my cdl a.
The cdl program is a 6 month program and I still had a car payment and car insurance to pay every month. So I decided to get a job fast. So I gave fast food a try. That did not last long at all.

Employers who pay their employees expect way to much from their employees., especially if you show them that you can do your job and beyond. To me, a job that pays minimum wage is not worth it. My factory job paid a lot more and had a whole hell of a lot more benefits, and it was easy.

People that are going on strike to raise minimum wage get on my nerves. First off, no one is forcing you to for that pay rate. There are jobs out there that pay good with only education requirement is possessing a high school diploma.

I do think that minimum wage should be higher however. The government raises the minimum wage every once in awhile to make it look like they are actually doing something good for the people. And a lot of people probably don't even know that the cost of living also goes up every once In awhile? Yea you might get paid more, but the prices for everything else such as milk goes up. So are you really getting ahead? If there is going to be a minimum wage requirement, I feel as though, minimum wage should be determined by the increased cost of living and should be calculated to be higher so that, when minimum wage increases you might see a difference for little while and then the cost of living increases and it equals it self out. What is the point? The Government just tries to fool the people into believing they are doing something good, when no body benefits but them, and that increasing minimum wage and cost of living just equals the two out. You are really not making more but the site of your increased pay per hour on your check makes the illusion that you do.

So if you are capable of working and have a family to support or want to live on your own, I suggest getting a higher paying job. Shoot temp agencies pay more then minimum wage

The problem there is, as the minimum wage goes up, the number of jobs goes down.

You pointed out at the start of this post:
"Ok, jobs that pay minimum wage I think are for teenagers 16+, to help them build some kind of work ethic before they graduate high school"

I have personally seen this lack of work ethic, and lack of experience. One guy, his parents taught him that he should never work, until he gets a good job. So he didn't. He got himself a degree in Engineering. Then he started applying for jobs. No one would touch him. No one would hire him. At one job, he finally figured out what the problem was, when the recruiter said "so you have never worked anywhere? Ever? Not even McDonalds?".

After saying no, the interview ended, and he never got a call back.

Now if you jack up the minimum wage, so fewer and fewer of these jobs exist, then more people with degrees are going to find themselves unemployed, because they have no work experience.

And this poor guy, for whatever reason, still didn't get the message. He got this job, where I was working, because they offered him $25,000 a year. You are likely asking yourself, why would a guy with a degree in engineering only get $25,000 a year? Because he had no work experience. And it showed.

The guy never showed up on time. Never wanted to do what he was told.... because he had never had to before. He thought he could stay at home if he didn't feel like working... just like he could at school. Because he had never worked anywhere before.

This is why companies don't want to hire people who have never had a job. Getting a degree, or certification, doesn't mean you are entitled to a good job.

Working hard, having a work history, having experience, having references. All of these are things you can get from a minimum wage job.

But if you jack up the minimum wage, fewer and fewer people are going to have that. More and more are going to be trapped at the bottom of the income ladder. Even if they get a degree. You show up with a degree, and zero experience, you are not going to get paid much.

"So if you are capable of working and have a family to support or want to live on your own, I suggest getting a higher paying job."

Here's a thought: maybe you should do what you gotta do to get that higher paying job FIRST and then have a family.

"So if you are capable of working and have a family to support or want to live on your own, I suggest getting a higher paying job."

Here's a thought: maybe you should do what you gotta do to get that higher paying job FIRST and then have a family.

I don't believe that is necessary. In fact, I would say it absolutely isn't necessary.

This idea that you have to avoid marriage, and avoid kids, until you are 40 and have a six figure income, is simply not true, and it's why we have the massive divorce rates we do.

For a wide variety of reasons, it's much easier to marry, and stay married, if you do so young. The older you get, the more likely you are to divorce.

Additionally, and this is especially true of men, not being married makes it more difficult to be successful. When you are constantly being distracted in class by every female in the room, it's hard to focus on your studies.

Every research paper that I have seen thus far, shows married men out perform single men in school. Married men are more likely to be promoted, and get raises, in their career.

So the idea of holding off on family until you have a high paying job, is actually counter productive, because you are less likely to have a high paying job, if you don't have a family.

No, the solution is simply to get a better job, and work hard. Someone lacking that will never succeed, whether they have a family or not.

And honestly, if you are in a minimum wage job, you can double your income in under a month. Getting a higher paying job is not that hard, unless you are a lousy employee. I know a guy that was working minimum wage at the same company I was, and when he decided he wanted to earn more, he put out his resume, got a job earning $16/hour by the end of the month. Of course he had a spotless record, and great references.

You can start driving truck, with free training and paid for CDL license, in under 6 weeks, and earn $40K a year.

Earning more money is easy. You just have to do it.

I don't believe that is necessary. In fact, I would say it absolutely isn't necessary.

This idea that you have to avoid marriage, and avoid kids, until you are 40 and have a six figure income, is simply not true, and it's why we have the massive divorce rates we do.

For a wide variety of reasons, it's much easier to marry, and stay married, if you do so young. The older you get, the more likely you are to divorce.

Additionally, and this is especially true of men, not being married makes it more difficult to be successful. When you are constantly being distracted in class by every female in the room, it's hard to focus on your studies.

Every research paper that I have seen thus far, shows married men out perform single men in school. Married men are more likely to be promoted, and get raises, in their career.

So the idea of holding off on family until you have a high paying job, is actually counter productive, because you are less likely to have a high paying job, if you don't have a family.

No, the solution is simply to get a better job, and work hard. Someone lacking that will never succeed, whether they have a family or not.

And honestly, if you are in a minimum wage job, you can double your income in under a month. Getting a higher paying job is not that hard, unless you are a lousy employee. I know a guy that was working minimum wage at the same company I was, and when he decided he wanted to earn more, he put out his resume, got a job earning $16/hour by the end of the month. Of course he had a spotless record, and great references.

You can start driving truck, with free training and paid for CDL license, in under 6 weeks, and earn $40K a year.

1. "This idea that you have to avoid marriage, and avoid kids, until you are 40 and have a six figure income, is simply not true, and it's why we have the massive divorce rates we do." I didn't say anyone has to avoid marriage and having kids until they're 40 with a 6-figure income, nor does that concept have anything at all to do with our divorce rates. Nor did I say you can't marry much sooner, but starting a family to me means babies; I totally reject the idea that waiting until you and your spouse are ready for that extra responsibility is a bad idea in any way.

2a. "it's much easier to marry, and stay married, if you do so young". I don't think so, maturity that only comes with age and experience translates to a higher chance of staying married. So many young people don't really know what they want yet, and they've got so much to learn.

2b. "The older you get, the more likely you are to divorce." The older you get the more likely you are to divorce? I would think a person who gets married for the 1st time when they're 20 has a higher chance of getting a divorce than a person who waits until they're 30. You got any stats to support the idea that 2nd marriages fare worse than 1st ones? I don't believe that, but I'm willing to change my mind if you can show me it's true.

3. " Additionally, and this is especially true of men, not being married makes it more difficult to be successful. When you are constantly being distracted in class by every female in the room, it's hard to focus on your studies." This is pure poppycock. Newsflash: married or not, all straight men are attracted to comely women. It isn't a question of marital status but instead the ability to focus on your job. Lots of married men are out there chasing tail.
Actually, being single means you can devote more of your time and energy into advancing you career than a married guy that has to be home for whatever reason. If you are more dependable and make yourself more valuable to your employer, that's what'll get you promoted and a higher salary. Which has nothing to do with your marital status.

4. "the idea of holding off on family until you have a high paying job, is actually counter productive, because you are less likely to have a high paying job, if you don't have a family." Nonsense, holding off on having babies makes a great deal of good sense for both the male and female; your relationship has had more time to grow and solidify and so does your financial situation if the two of you are building a nest egg together to cover the costs of having kids. Show me your statistics that say waiting until you are 30 to start your family results in lower chances to have a high paying job.

5. "Getting a higher paying job is not that hard, unless you are a lousy employee." Oh yeah? Don't know where you got that idea but there's a whole lot of Americans out there who think you're full of shit.

6. "Earning more money is easy." Sure, all you gotta do is get a 2nd job. It ain't like wages are going up that fast, if you want a bigger paycheck then you need to show your employer that you're worth it.

Last edited:

1. "This idea that you have to avoid marriage, and avoid kids, until you are 40 and have a six figure income, is simply not true, and it's why we have the massive divorce rates we do." I didn't say anyone has to avoid marriage and having kids until they're 40 with a 6-figure income, nor does that concept have anything at all to do with our divorce rates. Nor did I say you can't marry much sooner, but starting a family to me means babies; I totally reject the idea that waiting until you and your spouse are ready for that extra responsibility is a bad idea in any way.

2a. "it's much easier to marry, and stay married, if you do so young". I don't think so, maturity that only comes with age and experience translates to a higher chance of staying married. So many young people don't really know what they want yet, and they've got so much to learn.

2b. "The older you get, the more likely you are to divorce." The older you get the more likely you are to divorce? I would think a person who gets married for the 1st time when they're 20 has a higher chance of getting a divorce than a person who waits until they're 30. You got any stats to support the idea that 2nd marriages fare worse than 1st ones? I don't believe that, but I'm willing to change my mind if you can show me it's true.

3. " Additionally, and this is especially true of men, not being married makes it more difficult to be successful. When you are constantly being distracted in class by every female in the room, it's hard to focus on your studies." This is pure poppycock. Newsflash: married or not, all straight men are attracted to comely women. It isn't a question of marital status but instead the ability to focus on your job. Lots of married men are out there chasing tail.
Actually, being single means you can devote more of your time and energy into advancing you career than a married guy that has to be home for whatever reason. If you are more dependable and make yourself more valuable to your employer, that's what'll get you promoted and a higher salary. Which has nothing to do with your marital status.

4. "the idea of holding off on family until you have a high paying job, is actually counter productive, because you are less likely to have a high paying job, if you don't have a family." Nonsense, holding off on having babies makes a great deal of good sense for both the male and female; your relationship has had more time to grow and solidify and so does your financial situation if the two of you are building a nest egg together to cover the costs of having kids. Show me your statistics that say waiting until you are 30 to start your family results in lower chances to have a high paying job.

5. "Getting a higher paying job is not that hard, unless you are a lousy employee." Oh yeah? Don't know where you got that idea but there's a whole lot of Americans out there who think you're full of shit.

6. "Earning more money is easy." Sure, all you gotta do is get a 2nd job. It ain't like wages are going up that fast, if you want a bigger paycheck then you need to show your employer that you're worth it.

I didn't say anyone has to avoid marriage and having kids until they're 40 with a 6-figure income, nor does that concept have anything at all to do with our divorce rates.

I was exaggerating to make the point. I did not mean to imply you yourself said that verbatim. However, I have personally met parents that told their kids they were too young to get married at 35, and that they shouldn't get married until they land an upper-middle class job. Both to me are absolutely ridiculous, and that is what I am attacking.

Nor did I say you can't marry much sooner, but starting a family to me means babies; I totally reject the idea that waiting until you and your spouse are ready for that extra responsibility is a bad idea in any way.

First, in this day and age of birth control, I don't see that this is a problem. I have a relative right now, married 15 years, hasn't had a child yet.

Besides that, you can say that's what it means, and they should wait, but they are not. They are not waiting. They simply are not. The stats prove it. They are moving in with their girlfriends. They are popping out kids left and right, without being married.

So you telling them to wait, only means that they are screwing around, popping out kids, and living together without being married.

The only difference between not being married and screwing around, and popping out kids... and being married and loving each other, and popping out kids... is that when you are married, you have a much higher chance of the relationship lasting, and the kids turning out well. When you are not married and doing that, kids tend to drop out of school, have drug and mental issues, and your relationship has a 95% chance of falling apart.

Better they get married.

I don't think so, maturity that only comes with age and experience translates to a higher chance of staying married

No. That has absolutely not been my experience. I have met 50 year olds, that had the mentality of a 5 year old. Age doesn't improve jack. Experience doesn't improve anything.

I've met guys that were on their 6th marriage, and I asked them.... "Hey do you suppose maybe it isn't all these women you meet are terrible, but maybe you have a problem being a good husband?" Said that straight to his face. "nope!". 5-year-old.

I have real problem with this idea that is common in our culture. And the number one proof it's false, is the US military. Every single day, year round, for decades on end, the US military has 18 and 19 year olds, in command of multi-million dollar bits of hardware, life and death situation, and weapons that can level entire sections of the city, in the blink of an eye....

But somehow they can't handle an infant, that just lays there, and can only eat, poo, and cry?

They can handle the lives of hundreds of men under them.... but not a baby?

They can handle multi-million dollar aircraft.... but not a baby bottle?

They can handle the weight of life and death.... but not handle loving a spouse?

Honestly, if a man age 25 can't handle these things, then their parents were completely useless worthless piles of trash. The job of a parent is to prepare their kids for life. If they are 25, and can't handle a baby, then you failed as a parent.

You got any stats to support the idea that 2nd marriages fare worse than 1st ones? I don't believe that, but I'm willing to change my mind if you can show me it's true.

Oh yes. This is widely known. After you divorce, each time you re-marry, the chances of divorce go higher and higher.

This is one article citing one survey, but I've actually seen dozens.

The High Failure Rate of Second and Third Marriages

Past statistics have shown that in the U.S. 50% percent of first marriages, 67% of second, and 73% of third marriages end in divorce.
Absolutely. Each time you divorce, your chances of having a successful marriage going forward, is lower and lower and lower.

And actually the 50% of first marriages is misleading, because it includes all couples, not those that waiting for marriage.

If you exclude people who have kids, prior to their first marriage, and exclude people who were living (co-inhabiting) with others before their first marriage, the divorce rate is in the low teens.

But yeah, the chances of your succeeding in marriage drop lower and lower as you go.

Forum List

Back