Millennials

Funny that I chose that one, cause neither of my kids has ever asked me for a dime.... ever.

Mom, I need a back pack. Mom, make me a dental appointment. Mom, make me a sammich.

Funny that I chose that one, cause neither of my kids has ever asked me for a dime.... ever.
Sure, I bet they ask you to buy stuff for them....Or did they support themselves from the womb?

Of course I bought them stuff! But they have never asked me for money, not even allowance!
And it's not because I bought them whatever they wanted.
I never purchased or paid for a cell phone for either one of them. Or a car.

But I'll admit to buying them game systems and games and trading cards :)

Mom, I need a back pack. Mom, make me a dental appointment. Mom, make me a sammich.

They never asked for stuff like that (name brand things, shoes etc.)
I made Drs. appointments when it was my responsibility, but, they do all that stuff on their own - they found their own places, jobs, insurance etc.

Sure, I bet they ask you to buy stuff for them....Or did they support themselves from the womb?

Of course I bought them stuff! But they have never asked me for money, not even allowance!

You just always knew what they wanted by using ESP, fascinating..

You just always knew what they wanted by using ESP, fascinating..

they are not perfect kids, and, I am by FAR not a perfect parent.....
I'm sure they must have wanted things, but, for whatever reason didn't ask.
Of course, neither of my kids were "peer pressured" - one thing I did try to instill in them was to be yourself and never feel like you need to go with the crowd or apologize for who you are and what you like.... My youngest might have been a touch more likely to ask for something here or there, but, that was not the norm.

My Ma(since Dad was AWOL), always told me if I wanted something to get a job...

Work ethic is something sorely lacking - I think some of it is due to the fact that parents feel like they have to bail their kids out and buy everything for them, which, at times they do need to but in many cases I believe just enables young adults to be lazy/slackers and unmotivated to work to make it on their own....

Work ethic is something sorely lacking - I think some of it is due to the fact that parents feel like they have to bail their kids out and buy everything for them, which, at times they do need to but in many cases I believe just enables young adults to be lazy/slackers and unmotivated to work to make it on their own....
Eh, work sucks, have some fun, cause you can't take it with you....

It is kinda weird but having grown up poor I am always fascinated by the well to do. Today we move between the classes and while both have odd values those with money amaze. I would love to give examples but suffice it to say, the rich don't live like the poor. Tax reduction makes them even funnier. Limousine to the airport and Aruba, sure.

Eh, work sucks, have some fun, cause you can't take it with you....

work only sucks because you have a sucky attitude....

It is kinda weird but having grown up poor I am always fascinated by the well to do. Today we move between the classes and while both have odd values those with money amaze. I would love to give examples but suffice it to say, the rich don't live like the poor. Tax reduction makes them even funnier. Limousine to the airport and Aruba, sure.

Any everything is relative.

If Donald Trump had to live like I do, he'd think he was in hell.
If someone from a third-world country lived like I do, they would think they were in heaven.

I'm a tail end Gen X'er (Born 1975) and I had my first part time job at 13 (pennysaver route) and my first real part time job at 15 (worked in a pharmacy). My parents did give me money from time to time, but most of my spending money had to be earned via work. (and I worked for my dad on the side as a handyman as well).

There is a woman at church that keeps bailing her adult daughter out financially....
It's hard but sometimes you just have to tell them to "figure it out" and let the chips fall - especially if it's an on going thing....

OR - if not, say I won't pay for your stuff anymore, but I will control your finances (for a period of time) -

There is a woman at church that keeps bailing her adult daughter out financially....
It's hard but sometimes you just have to tell them to "figure it out" and let the chips fall - especially if it's an on going thing....

OR - if not, say I won't pay for your stuff anymore, but I will control your finances (for a period of time) -
Yet people in church pray to God for things they need....and expect deliverance....including financial blessings...

My mother's enabling of my younger brother prevented him from developing those skills and personal responsibility necessary for entering our sibling business. He has always been resentful, but he believes the world owes him a living and feels marginalized. Needless to say, he is a far right reactionary when it comes to politics

Yet people in church pray to God for things they need....and expect deliverance....including financial blessings...

not in my church they don't... not all chuches and beliefs are like that.......

Forum List

Back