Why were "Millennials" less interested in science and engineering careers?

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014
I find it kind of sad that I don't recall anyone I knew from my public school years in an average middle class suburban part of America during the 2000s who went into science or engineering.

I don't recall anyone from my elementary school years back in the early 2000s saying they dreamed of being an astronaut let alone a scientist or engineer.

I heard the 1960s "Space Race" inspired many of the youth of America during that era to go into science and engineering and they ended up giving us the tech boom of the 1990s.

It seems like American society in the 90s and 2000s were more excited by Hollywood level wealth and materialism rather than building a better future.

The blonde girl in the video looks like a perfect representation of my generation, the "Millennials".

There was a video back in the early 2010s where Neil Degrasse Tyson lamented that society had "Stopped Dreaming".

I find it kind of sad that I don't recall anyone I knew from my public school years in an average middle class suburban part of America during the 2000s who went into science or engineering.

I don't recall anyone from my elementary school years back in the early 2000s saying they dreamed of being an astronaut let alone a scientist or engineer.

I heard the 1960s "Space Race" inspired many of the youth of America during that era to go into science and engineering and they ended up giving us the tech boom of the 1990s.

It seems like American society in the 90s and 2000s were more excited by Hollywood level wealth and materialism rather than building a better future.

The blonde girl in the video looks like a perfect representation of my generation, the "Millennials".

There was a video back in the early 2010s where Neil Degrasse Tyson lamented that society had "Stopped Dreaming".

economics. american society does not value engineers. my best year as an engineer was $80k for long hours of dirty, dangerous work. any salesman can make that without an education and be home every night.

Engineering degrees often add a year to their schooling. With the costs today, that may be an issue.

The blonde girl was correct and his answer was moronic.

Why do left wingers find that rant compelling in the slightest? We arent the greatest country in the world because we arent #1 in every conceivable category known to man? What a dumb fucking position to take. God damn the stupidity of that video annoys me. He is making the weakest case ever and i would embarrass him if he had made that idiotic statement in front of me.

Do you know how you respond to that rant? Ask him to name who IS the greatest nation on Earth, and if he is dumb enough to throw a name out there, then i would point out all the things THEY arent number 1 in. I would point out all the things they are FAR behind the US in, and that list would be long as fuck.

Last edited:
Engineering degrees often add a year to their schooling. With the costs today, that may be an issue.

But they will go into major debt for a political art degree, or masters in diversity equity and inclusion officer, or some other dumb and useless idiotic degree that's based off social justice nonsense. Just Google "diversity degree" and marvel at all the endless dumb masters degrees you can pay for that don't mean anything in the real world.

No, the real reason is they are dumb, stupid, lazy and live their lives based around social media. So they think a degree in some stupid field that relates to social stuff they see on social media is the way to go.

Younger people were raised to think social issues are what matter most and that they are the future, they matter, they are the ones to solve all our social problems and so on.

And they are lazy, so they want to get a degree in shit that doesn't really require any real work, skill or knowledge. It's all just abstract thinking that needs no real learning and learning isn't easy to do.

It's just like so many of them want work from home jobs, want to be streamers and influencers and only fans people. Because it doesn't take any work, insight, skill or effort. They want everything for doing almost nothing.

Forum List

Back