Millennials

My Ma(since Dad was AWOL), always told me if I wanted something to get a job...

Work ethic is something sorely lacking - I think some of it is due to the fact that parents feel like they have to bail their kids out and buy everything for them, which, at times they do need to but in many cases I believe just enables young adults to be lazy/slackers and unmotivated to work to make it on their own....

I'm a tail end Gen X'er (Born 1975) and I had my first part time job at 13 (pennysaver route) and my first real part time job at 15 (worked in a pharmacy). My parents did give me money from time to time, but most of my spending money had to be earned via work. (and I worked for my dad on the side as a handyman as well).
I was born in 1961. I also had to work if i wanted to eat..I mowed lawns for 3 dollars and the was a car hop at 13 and have never stopped..My Ma had poor health but tried the best she could. In the early 1980's she found a good man that was a stock broker..I have ask for help and gotten it, but I return the help...

There is a woman at church that keeps bailing her adult daughter out financially....
It's hard but sometimes you just have to tell them to "figure it out" and let the chips fall - especially if it's an on going thing....

OR - if not, say I won't pay for your stuff anymore, but I will control your finances (for a period of time) -
Yet people in church pray to God for things they need....and expect deliverance....including financial blessings...

not in my church they don't... not all chuches and beliefs are like that.......
What kind of church is that..The Hard-ass Tightfisted church ?

My Ma(since Dad was AWOL), always told me if I wanted something to get a job...

Work ethic is something sorely lacking - I think some of it is due to the fact that parents feel like they have to bail their kids out and buy everything for them, which, at times they do need to but in many cases I believe just enables young adults to be lazy/slackers and unmotivated to work to make it on their own....

I'm a tail end Gen X'er (Born 1975) and I had my first part time job at 13 (pennysaver route) and my first real part time job at 15 (worked in a pharmacy). My parents did give me money from time to time, but most of my spending money had to be earned via work. (and I worked for my dad on the side as a handyman as well).
I was born in 1961. I also had to work if i wanted to eat..I mowed lawns for 3 dollars and the was a car hop at 13 and have never stopped..My Ma had poor health but tried the best she could. In the early 1980's she found a good man that was a stock broker..I have ask for help and gotten it, but I return the help...

I don't think there is anything wrong with asking for help. I have done it several times myself, especially when first starting out - but I also was a youngest child spoiled brat - if I had budgeted my $ better, I never would have had to borrow - I made plenty to get by.... but everyone's situation is different.....

There is a woman at church that keeps bailing her adult daughter out financially....
It's hard but sometimes you just have to tell them to "figure it out" and let the chips fall - especially if it's an on going thing....

OR - if not, say I won't pay for your stuff anymore, but I will control your finances (for a period of time) -
Yet people in church pray to God for things they need....and expect deliverance....including financial blessings...

Nope. We are not a church that prays for money and expects to get it.
We are not a stingy church either.

We are a church that is grateful to God for what we have, and, pitch in to help others.

We are a church that is grateful to God for what we have, and, pitch in to help others.
But you can't, you don't help your family out, how can you help others?

Those types have always been around except now it's much more common. I remember back in college some guy was upset when he had to buy some books with his own allowance. I spent four years in the military so I could go to school so I was a little unsympathetic, needless to say.

But you can't, you don't help your family out, how can you help others?

I'm not saying you shouldn't help your family.
You just shouldn't keep forking over money enabling them to not do for themselves.
Like I said, there are differing cases, but, you need to teach people to help themselves if it's a chronic issue.

Wow, the older generations are dumping on the younger generations!? A story older then the hills.

Back in my day, we didn't concern ourselves with such mundane crap as getting a job, buying a house, raising a family. We knew (unless you were a total fuckup) that it would happen.

These kids today are screwed. I feel for them.

Wow, the older generations are dumping on the younger generations!? A story older then the hills.

I'm more dumping on the parents... my own peers....

Because you think they raised lazy and entitled children?

No, I won't generalize.
But I have run into many that keep bailing their kids out and giving them money and things instead of teaching them how to budget and/or not enabling them to waste their money by bailing them out all the time...
Not saying EVERYONE is like this, but many are.....

Back in my day, we didn't concern ourselves with such mundane crap as getting a job, buying a house, raising a family. We knew (unless you were a total fuckup) that it would happen.

These kids today are screwed. I feel for them.

anyone can do this still... just they expect to have more now...........

I don't know about that.

Back in the day, all you needed was a high diploma to enter the middle class and realize "The American Dream".

It seems that now, you need the minimum of at least a specialized four-year degree.

No, I won't generalize.
But I have run into many that keep bailing their kids out and giving them money and things instead of teaching them how to budget and/or not enabling them to waste their money by bailing them out all the time...

Parents have been bailing out their children since time immemorial. I am not seeing this as a trend simply among Millennials but all generations.

I don't know about that.

Back in the day, all you needed was a high diploma to enter the middle class and realize "The American Dream".

It seems that now, you need the minimum of at least a specialized four-year degree.

Not if your a man. there are many trades that pay to dollar.
Construction, automotive, electrical, plumbing... if you want an office job (white collar) you might be right...

No, I won't generalize.

Parents have been bailing out their children since time immemorial. I am not seeing this as a trend simply among Millennials but all generations.

Maybe as a parent of young adults, I just notice it more.. you may be right...

No, I won't generalize.

If don't to the point to enable adult kids to not live independently, we are not doing out jobs (or did not do our jobs) as parents....

No, I won't generalize.

If don't to the point to enable adult kids to not live independently, we are not doing out jobs (or did not do our jobs) as parents....

To some degree I can agree with you on this point.

Forum List

Back