Millennials and Gen Z won’t have enough kids to sustain America’s population—and it’s up to immigrants to make up the baby shortfall

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Millennials and Gen Z are less enthusiastic about having children than their parents. The reasons are many: financial, social, and biological, along with the preference among younger generations for “freedom.”

America’s falling fertility rates have been a cause for concern for several decades. During the Great Recession in 2008, millennials delayed marriage and having children, causing fertility rates to drop.

Then, early in the COVID-19 pandemic, there was a short-lived “baby bust,” when conceptions fell slightly. Months later, the rates rebounded but were inconsequential compared to the huge number of daily deaths.

Over the next few decades, demographers expect the population growth to decline further. But there’s one hope for increasing the U.S. population: immigrants.

A report by the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) released Tuesday predicts that the nation’s population will near 373 million by 2053, up by almost 3 million from CBO estimates a year ago. The difference? An increase in immigrants over the next three decades.

More, much more....

Blah, all I know is that this country (circa 1970) was a far better place to live when the population was 1/3 less than what it is today.

There are way too many people.:omg:

That said it will take at least 2 or 3 good men to replace me when I croak. :biggrin:

There are way too many people.

battery farm.jpg

Millennials and Gen Z are less enthusiastic about having children than their parents. The reasons are many: financial, social, and biological, along with the preference among younger generations for “freedom.”

America’s falling fertility rates have been a cause for concern for several decades. During the Great Recession in 2008, millennials delayed marriage and having children, causing fertility rates to drop.

Then, early in the COVID-19 pandemic, there was a short-lived “baby bust,” when conceptions fell slightly. Months later, the rates rebounded but were inconsequential compared to the huge number of daily deaths.

Over the next few decades, demographers expect the population growth to decline further. But there’s one hope for increasing the U.S. population: immigrants.

A report by the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) released Tuesday predicts that the nation’s population will near 373 million by 2053, up by almost 3 million from CBO estimates a year ago. The difference? An increase in immigrants over the next three decades.

More, much more....

Blah, all I know is that this country (circa 1970) was a far better place to live when the population was 1/3 less than what it is today.
Why would one hope for the population to increase ?

There is a negative birth rate in many developed countries, look at Japan and Western Europe. Just last week it was reported that China had a negative birth rate for the first time since they kept records.

There is a negative birth rate in many developed countries, look at Japan and Western Europe. Just last week it was reported that China had a negative birth rate for the first time since they kept records.
Seems like this might be a GOOD thing. Less traffic, less pollution, more resources per capita.

Can we make the topic of this thread useful by exploring the reason why you think it matters if the shortage is made up by mostly immigrants?
Why does the shortage need to be made up at all? We live on a planet with finite resources and finite livable land masses. Why should the population continue to multiply?

Why does the shortage need to be made up at all? We live on a planet with finite resources and finite livable land masses. Why should the population continue to multiply?
Correct. I remember back in the 60s, I was a member of Zero Population Growth. It was a popular idea then, and the population is much bigger now.

Seems like this might be a GOOD thing. Less traffic, less pollution, more resources per capita.
I would agree, but there's a strong counter argument relating to the country's economy and the issue of growth being necessary in a capitalist system. That argument is due for being more closely examined!

China's innovative system provides some answers!

In a nutshell, cautious adopting of capitalism and not being at all costs to the people. And a government that maintains it's capability to control the onset of capitalism!

I would agree, but there's a strong counter argument relating to the country's economy and the issue of growth being necessary in a capitalist system. That argument is due for being more closely examined!

China's innovative system provides some answers!

In a nutshell, cautious adopting of capitalism and not being at all costs to the people. And a government that maintains it's capability to control the onset of capitalism!
There is economic growth, and there is population growth. These are not necessariy in direct proportion ; in fact, they may very well be in INdirect proportion.

Do you even understand that you've compromised your rightist and capitalist priorities.

I honestly don't know where this thread is going. :dunno:
Where is it going?

It‘s leading the extinction of our culture. White people are told babies are too expensive, and too much of a hindrance, yet then we are told there aren’t enough workers to support our nation.

EEEC55CF-FBB0-4B9F-A791-B712E7296107.jpeg

58A236D1-F6D5-410E-8925-BD28F9FD3549.jpeg

Forum List

Back