Military Service makes a better politician.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by tigerbob, Mar 9, 2008.

1. tigerbob

tigerbob Increasingly jaded.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    ...or so many threads seem to say / imply.

Unfortunately they never seem to get very far before they descend into a pretty hostile debate about who is the biggest draft dodging scumbag, with Bush and Clinton being the usual suspects, but there are plenty of others.

There was a thread started recently that seemed to imply that Prince Harry was considered to be a better monarch than...whoever...simply because he'd served 10 weeks in Afghanistan. I think that's probably bollocks, but other may agree with it.

I've also read numerous other threads that seem to follow the same line: Military service develops team spirit, leadership, the ability to think through challenging problems, strength of character, courage under fire, an appreciation of foreign affairs and the value of diplomacy, etc. etc.

Maybe this subject has been kicked to death already, but all I can find is Dems and Reps laying into each other about the record of particular individuals, rather than addressing the issue of whether a leader is 'improved' (draw your own conclusions about what that may mean) by having seen a few tours / been under fire.

If anyone's got views on this I'd love to hear them.

2. Gurdari

Gurdari Egaliterra

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40
    If you live in a democracy the best leader responds to the wishes of the people, his or her particular resume is less important. The more democratic you get, the more people are actually involved in legislation and policy decisions (instead of just picking someone to do it for them for a few years) the less the leader is important - inversely, the less democratic you get, the more important the leader's personality, vision and style matter.

Not sure if blindly following orders (which I believe is needed in some armed forces) would help you think creatively to solve problems and ultimately lead...

3. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    The thinking is that if someone has had military service, they are more equipped to be Commander in Chief. I agree with you, I think that's probably incorrect. Neither Lincoln nor Roosevelt (Franklin) served in the military and they were the two greatest presidents I can think of. I think Bill Clinton was the best president I've seen in my lifetime and I think had Richard Nixon not been a paranoid crook, he'd have probably been considered a great president. And I think of all of the above, he was the only one to serve if I'm not incorrect.

For the people who say you had to have served but love Ronnie Reagan, I'd remind them that making recruitment films isn't quite the type of service they're talking about. ;)

So there ya go.

4. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,295
    Military leadership is a straw argument given the beating Kerry got, even McCain was badly beaten when he ran against Bush. Right now he is the last republican standing so whatever he did would be considered with favorable lighting. Of contemporary presidents I look at FDR as greatest and he didn't serve, in many ways he lead a privileged life. Lincoln, another great leader, did serve but the times were different and it was during conflicts with the native Americans. But each of these men had complex backgrounds and obvious intelligence. So the answer is, as with all these questions, it depends on the man or woman.

http://www.fdrlibrary.marist.edu/fdrbio.html

5. CrimsonWhite

CrimsonWhite *****istrator Emeritus Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    You seem to imply that Nixon wasn't in the service. He served in the Pacific as a Naval Officer.

6. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    Look at the post again. I said that to the best of my recollection, Nixon was the only president I mentioned who DID serve. :eusa_whistle:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,221
    ...and we won't even get started on Juniors "service"...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Y'know, I WAS going to leave this thread alone. However .....

Go ahead and start. He served, and was discharged when he opted out when they did away with the F-102.

Easily covered, actually.:cool:

9. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    :eusa_wall: :rofl:

10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    That's EXACTLY how I feel everytime the bullshit bashing rhetoric gets rolled out.

Just more of the perpetuate the myth until people believe it psychology. Take heart though ... there ARE people who believe you.

Then again, there are people voting for Obama ....:rolleyes: