Military Service makes a better politician.

If they are right or wrong has nothing to do with it. I was simply pointing out your claim of partisan bigotry was wrong.

But you are right, my post about Bush's military experience not benefiting the country had nothing to do with your post but everything to do with the topic of the thread.

Mob mentality does not make something right or wrong. I still think the reasons given were valid and in fact have been proven to be true. Saddam Hussein would have gotten sabctions lifted as early as 2003 and no latter then 2004 as far as I can tell. He would have returned to chemical and biological weapons produsction and he would hve returned to searching for the means to make a nuke. He already was working on long range more accurate missiles and he would have continued to look for a group willing to do his dirty work.

We would now be faced with a rearmed, renewed Iraq under Saddam Hussein and with the real threat of attacks on us from him by terrorists or his own secret forces. Kuwait and the entire region would once again be threatened by Iraq.

All the terrorists and recruits they had in Iraq over the last 5 years would have been used else where, possibly in Afghanistan and more likely with bigger and more terror strikes else where around the world.

We made mistakes in the war in Iraq, but nothing critical. In fact every war we have ever had we made mistakes at first. One reason being we train to fight the last war and we never end up actually doing that.

I disagree with you pretty much across the board. I don't think Saddam would have ever amounted to anything more than a jumped up asshole.

But thanks for your response, at least I can understand where you are coming from.

I disagree with you pretty much across the board. I don't think Saddam would have ever amounted to anything more than a jumped up asshole.

But thanks for your response, at least I can understand where you are coming from.

I suggest you pull your head out of what ever hole it is buried in and learn the facts. We have the documents to show Saddam Hussein maintained production capability and staff and precursors and we have the documents to show he intended to return to mass production as soon as sanctions were lifted and the oil started flowing again.

We have the documents to prove he retained his nuclear team and we have the documents to prove he intended to return to such research as soon as sanctions were removed and he had the oil flowing again.

We have the documents to prove he WAS trying to find a group to do his dirty work and we know he hated the US.

Kay reported all this back at the end of 2003 early 2004.

We know that France, Russia and China were all bribed and all wanted sanctions lifted, especially Russia and France, they had money tied up in it. No sanctions meant big bucks for all 3 of those Countries.

France was trying to lift sanctions as we prepared for war.

I guess you haven't read today's news.

Why would we have ever lifted sanctions? We wouldn't have. The guy was contained. The terrorists were elsewhere. There was no reason to invade Iraq.

Waste of time, money and lives.

But we are waaay off topic.

Why would we have ever lifted sanctions? We wouldn't have. The guy was contained. The terrorists were elsewhere. There was no reason to invade Iraq.

Waste of time, money and lives.

But we are waaay off topic.

Simply NOT true. 3 of the PERMANENT members of the Security Council were FOR lifting sanctions. They would have gotten them removed. Either by voting them out or demanding a new resolution be made and then vetoing it. Saddam Hussein was not afraid of us because he thought those 3 would prevent a US invasion.

You shouldn't believe everything you read/see/hear in the news. It's all biased no matter what channel or paper you read.

Plain and simple, the world is a safer place without Saddam. No matter which way you argue it, the world is safer. I'm not saying that the war in Iraq was handled with the utmost intelligence, however, I believe that Bush was damned no matter what he did. The question boils down to preimptive strike. Do you attack someone before they attack? Or do you wait for someone to kill a few thousand of your own people before you attack? If Bush had not invaded Iraq, and in 10-15 years from now when Saddam did acquire what he was looking for, people would have said, that President Bush should have taken care of it when he had the chance. And since he did invade, people are saying, damn that president he didn't have to do it.

A main problem with people's discontent of the war is that we Americans have an extremley short attention span. We can't stand anything lasting longer than a few minutes. We constantly like change (not me). That's why everyone wants Obama for president "CHANGE." I'm not a hardcore Bush supporter, however, I did vote for him and I still do like him as a president. The reason people are so fed up with Bush, is because he's never "changed." He's the same person he was when he started. That's what makes a good president, the fact that his view didn't change when the (quick minded) public opinion changed. Anyone would agree that if you're going out for the baseball team, you give it %110, and you don't quit the team when it's losing, but think of another strategy, and if that doesn't work, you think up another one.

Nope. Military service doesn't matter period.

Do you really think that? That first hand military experience gives a person no additional knowledge to draw upon? I'm not saying it should mean everything but dismissing it out of hand as "doesn't matter period" seems a bit, how can I put it, myopic.

Even if you think the general "experience under fire" and "leadership" etc. qualities are overrated, then presumably you would agree that the military could in theory provide a greater understanding in other fields. I'm thinking of logistics, diplomacy, engineering, communications, IT, aeronautics, to name the few that come to mind instantly.

In dismissing military experience out of hand, you give the impression that perhaps you dislike the military so much that you are prepared to ignore potential experience because you don't like how the experience was acquired.

Just an observation, and maybe I'm reading too much into your post (it wouldn't be the first time).

Nope. Military service doesn't matter period.

Wrong. Military service is not a litmus issue, but it does give insight into the character or job capablities of an individual. It does matter just being President of the Arabian Horse Association. It is not a requirement, nor should it be, but it does matter.

Do you really think that? That first hand military experience gives a person no additional knowledge to draw upon? I'm not saying it should mean everything but dismissing it out of hand as "doesn't matter period" seems a bit, how can I put it, myopic.

Even if you think the general "experience under fire" and "leadership" etc. qualities are overrated, then presumably you would agree that the military could in theory provide a greater understanding in other fields. I'm thinking of logistics, diplomacy, engineering, communications, IT, aeronautics, to name the few that come to mind instantly.

In dismissing military experience out of hand, you give the impression that perhaps you dislike the military so much that you are prepared to ignore potential experience because you don't like how the experience was acquired.

Just an observation, and maybe I'm reading too much into your post (it wouldn't be the first time).

Any career can also provide the same benefits. IMO, people do well in their chosen fields because of who they are, not what the field is. I can't see how Bush's military experience qualified him in the slightest for president, nor did Clinton's lack of military experience.

Put another way, your Prince isn't a good person because he went to Afghanistan to fight. He went to Afghanistan to fight because he's a good person.

Wrong. Military service is not a litmus issue, but it does give insight into the character or job capablities of an individual. It does matter just being President of the Arabian Horse Association. It is not a requirement, nor should it be, but it does matter.

Any career gives the same insight to character or job capabilities.

Forum List

Back