Michelle Got This Right

Jimmyeatworld said:
Perhaps hints of partisanship, which is no surprise, but there isn't anything there that isn't true.

Did you see the rehearsal before the actual press conference, though? EVERYTHING was scripted.

The overall statement that today's news is staged is correct. But the insinuation that only the left does it is not. Television news in this country is pathetic.

I saw a priceless CNN moment not long ago. First up was a story accusing Bush of staging a press conference because he knew what the questions were going to be beforehand (you know, in time to think up a decent answer). They then went to a story about the horrible, deadly flooding in New England and showed a reporter sitting in a canoe in the middle of a street. About halfway through the report, a couple of guys walked right by the canoe, ankle deep in water.

Hobbit said:
I saw a priceless CNN moment not long ago. First up was a story accusing Bush of staging a press conference because he knew what the questions were going to be beforehand (you know, in time to think up a decent answer). They then went to a story about the horrible, deadly flooding in New England and showed a reporter sitting in a canoe in the middle of a street. About halfway through the report, a couple of guys walked right by the canoe, ankle deep in water.

Did you even read the article?

And the canoe thing wasn't CNN.

Hobbit said:
Uh, the canoe thing was NBC, the Today Show. And Bush's press conferences are all staged as well as all his public appearances, just like every other president. It's showbiz and it has been ever since JFK. Bush doesn't think of his own answers, they're written down for him by staffers. :blowup: And he still manages to seem uncomfortable and incompetent even when he has lines!

The ClayTaurus said:
Did you even read the article?

And the canoe thing wasn't CNN.

So I got a fact messed up. I was also responding to the post directly above mine, not the original article. I was simply pointing out two more examples of staged news. No need to jump on me for that.

The ClayTaurus said:
Did you see the rehearsal before the actual press conference, though? EVERYTHING was scripted.

The overall statement that today's news is staged is correct. But the insinuation that only the left does it is not. Television news in this country is pathetic.

There was nothing unusual about that, it's another case of making a mountain out of a molehill.

Any time there is a group of people doing any kind of interview like that, they run through some things to make sure it all goes smooth. They don't want one person hogging the microphone, and they don't want a lot of fumbling around trying to decide who is going to talk next. They do much the same thing when they are talking to astronauts in space or in any of a dozen other instances. It's just not that big of a deal.

As far as the news being staged, it does happen a lot in a sense. News has to walk a line between information and entertainment to draw viewers.

Jimmyeatworld said:
There was nothing unusual about that, it's another case of making a mountain out of a molehill.

Any time there is a group of people doing any kind of interview like that, they run through some things to make sure it all goes smooth. They don't want one person hogging the microphone, and they don't want a lot of fumbling around trying to decide who is going to talk next. They do much the same thing when they are talking to astronauts in space or in any of a dozen other instances. It's just not that big of a deal.

As far as the news being staged, it does happen a lot in a sense. News has to walk a line between information and entertainment to draw viewers.

I'm asking you though, did you actually see the rehearsal? It wasn't just who was going to answer what question, they were even practicing the "ad-libs" like Bush saying "I think I recognize you from somewhere else" There wasn't an ounce of original thought in that whole discourse, even though they wrote it to make it seem like there was. It's insulting. I don't mind rehearsing answers and who's going to speak when, but this was more than just that. And it probably happens more often then we all realize... but it's pathetic, frequent or not.

Hobbit said:
So I got a fact messed up. I was also responding to the post directly above mine, not the original article. I was simply pointing out two more examples of staged news. No need to jump on me for that.

I wasn't trying to jump on you, sorry.

Forum List

Back