O'Reilly Hires Bodyguards; Talks Retirement

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Adam's Apple, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    What's Hate Got to Do with It?
    By Verne Gay, Newsday
    October 18, 2005

In a corner office high over 47th Street in Manhattan, Bill O'Reilly stretches out behind a medium-sized desk that seems like a medieval fortress. Those papers piled high in the corners? Battlements. The pens, pencils and letter openers? Pikes, longbows and spiked flails.

The computer where O'Reilly had just filed his newspaper column moments earlier? Let's call that a drawbridge beyond which an angry mob has assembled. Google the words "Bill O'Reilly" and 6.5 million hits instantly appear. The first two are the flame-throwing newsman's own Web sites, but those are followed by the seething mass of obsessive O'Reilly haters who would love nothing better than to reach through the screen and throttle the tall, wan, rich, famous/infamous fellow on the other side.

Gauging the animus against O'Reilly has always been a rough art, but by his own estimation "it's gotten worse. Now it's so bad that I spend an enormous amount of money protecting myself against evil."

One usual suspect behind this rising tide of hatred, he says, is the Liberal Media Establishment, infuriated because it "can't marginalize me." But whatever the reason, almost exactly a year since he settled a sexual harassment lawsuit with former Fox News producer Andrea Mackris - the anniversary is next Thursday - the embattled life of O'Reilly has become an increasingly strange and scary one.

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/ny-etlede4473201oct18,0,1133689.story?coll=ny...

2. nosarcasm

nosarcasm Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Shut up doesn't cut it in the real world.

3. Adam's Apple

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    ???????? O'Reilly has been the #1 rated talk show on cable news for about the last five years. He tops everyone when it comes to drawing viewers. I don't watch him all the time, but occasionally I catch his program. I don't see much difference between his style/personality and that of Chris Matthews, James Carville, Paul Begala, etc., except that he is conservative/independent and they are liberals. O'Reilly puts his energies and efforts into what he feels are very worthwhile causes. What's not to like about that?

4. trobinett

trobinett Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Adam`s Apple states:

Not a thing.......... :clap1:

5. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,159
    Probably lots. Especially by liberals when he leans on them to do the right thing - such as the Jessica's law thing he's pushing in every state. Never underestimate the hatred engendered in liberals when someone tells them what to do - especially when most others think it is the right thing to do and they are cornered like the weasel rats they are.

Adding here an O'Reilley memo about libs who are resisting Jessica's Law:

6. trobinett

trobinett Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +162
    One of the things I hear, that is suppose to steer me away from supporting legislation, like the aforementioned law, is, it could happen to YOU.

Well bull pucky on that argument.

If your caught in that kind of behavior, you deserve EVERYTHING you get.

Where am I going wrong?

7. Psychoblues

Psychoblues Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Bill O'Really is just a jerk. He insults his guests, his audience and the average intelligence of Americans with his constant whining about EVERYTHING. His show is NOT widely viewed or appreciated. His antics are more for self-promotion than anything else. His words are contradictory to say the least and his vocally expressed truth is nonexistent.

But, he's a rich man for his willingness to exploit conflict for his own untruthful ambitions. WAKE UP!!!!!!

Psychoblues

8. Jimmyeatworld

Jimmyeatworld Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    He has the number one show in his time slot. How much more widely viewed does he have to be? Appreciated is all a matter of opinion, and no real way to measure it, but to say he is not widely viewed is totally inaccurate.

Spelling aside, yeah, he can be a jerk. How does that make him any different than Al Franken, or any number of other hosts from politically based shows. And I include the comments about being "whining" and "insulting his guests" in that. Personally, I've never seen him openly insult a guest that didn't deserve it.

Yeah, pushing Jessica's Law is all about him.

But enough about you, get back to O'Reilly.

9. Psychoblues

Psychoblues Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    OK, O'Really is still a jerk, a liar, self-promoting and untruthful while presenting himself as an objective journalist. He definitely impresses me as having objectives but responsible journalism is not one one of his objectives.

Do you have conflicting evidence?

Psychoblues

10. Adam's Apple

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Psycho, do you have any authorative links to back up your ridiculous opinions about O'Reilly, or do you just like to see your own opinions in print? From hanging around here, you should know that liberal opinion scores no points among conservatives. Usually liberals just leave O'Reilly alone because they can't get the best of him. Instead of stating "His show is NOT widely viewed or appreciated", you should have said "His show is NOT widely viewed or appreciated among liberals." That would have been a true statement.

Not only is O'Reilly a top-rated talk show host, but he also writes #1 best sellers and turns out thought-provoking commentary on current political/social issues in his daily columns. These are the talents and abilities that have made him a rich man.