Michele Bachmann Granted Swiss Citizenship

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Michele Bachmann Granted Swiss Citizenship

Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) has been granted citizenship in Switzerland. :eusa_whistle:

Becky Rogness, a spokeswoman for the conservative congresswoman, said in a statement, "Congresswoman Bachmann's husband is of Swiss descent so she has been eligible for dual-citizenship since they got married in 1978." She added, "However, recently some of their children wanted to exercise their eligibility for dual-citizenship so they went through the process as a family."
<more>

She's *gasp* .... European????

rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

Taking the Palin path produces lots and lots of cash for those who take it.

All Swiss citizens are required to participate in their national health insurance plan, which is very good. After all of Michele's talking down such plans, how will she deal with that? Of course she already has government health care here in the US.

more power to her. I dont see why some of you feel the need to mock her because of this. It doesnt say anything about her, just about you, my friends.

True but it makes it easier to hide and access

Only if one breaks the law. Americans are required, by law, to declare all overseas accounts. But you've never been one to stick to facts - you prefer to create facts. Lying hack.
What is the reason behind having a Swiss bank account? Avoiding U.S. taxes.

Pretty anti-American of Bishop Romney, wouldn't you say?

Only if one breaks the law. Americans are required, by law, to declare all overseas accounts. But you've never been one to stick to facts - you prefer to create facts. Lying hack.

If you can explain how one can avoid paying taxes on declared accounts, I'd love to hear it. Because it's ridiculous. I have an offshore account.... just like many other Americans - we are not 'avoiding' paying taxes... we are maximizing efficiency. It's no big deal - unless you are a petty, bitter individual.

If you can explain how one can avoid paying taxes on declared accounts, I'd love to hear it. Because it's ridiculous. I have an offshore account.... just like many other Americans - we are not 'avoiding' paying taxes... we are maximizing efficiency. It's no big deal - unless you are a petty, bitter individual.

:laugh:

First, there is absolutely no evidence that Michelle has a swiss bank account or is trying to get one.

Second, there are plenty of reason to have a swiss bank account other than avoiding taxes. Diversifying the location of your wealth for one. It's much better to have wealth spread around in case something happens to one source. The security of a swiss bank account is another. They've been providing reliable and secure services for hundreds of years.

Are you honestly going to argue that those aren't legitimate reasons people might want a swiss bank account? You do realize that the only reason we know Romney has one is because he has disclosed it, right? If he was doing something shady, why on earth would he share that information? If you were breaking the law, why would you comply with the law and tell them about the money?

Are you honestly going to tell me you cant find one legitimate criticism of Romney and so you have to resort to this nonsense?

I didn't see this thread, so I also started one in the Congress Forum. There is something about this that everyone is missing. Going back a very long time ago, my father applied for jobs with the CIA and FBI. My mother is a Swiss citizen. Because of her Swiss citizenship, my father was denied employment with both agencies because he could not make security clearance. To be in the CIA, your spouse must be American born. To be in the FBI, your spouse can have citizenship from another country, but it must be an ally of the US. At least those were the guidelines back in the 60's.

My point is, since Switzerland is not even one of our allies, should Michelle Bachmann now lose her security clearances? She is on the House Intelligence Committee. Even if I am not concerned about her loyalties, rules are rules, and she should be held to the same rules as everyone else.

:laugh:

Im going to take that as a concession that you cant argue against her.

I didn't see this thread, so I also started one in the Congress Forum. There is something about this that everyone is missing. Going back a very long time ago, my father applied for jobs with the CIA and FBI. My mother is a Swiss citizen. Because of her Swiss citizenship, my father was denied employment with both agencies because he could not make security clearance. To be in the CIA, your spouse must be American born. To be in the FBI, your spouse can have citizenship from another country, but it must be an ally of the US. At least those were the guidelines back in the 60's.

My point is, since Switzerland is not even one of our allies, should Michelle Bachmann now lose her security clearances? She is on the House Intelligence Committee. Even if I am not concerned about her loyalties, rules are rules, and she should be held to the same rules as everyone else.

That is a very interesting question. I would have to think about that.

Forum List

Back