Medicaid Eligibility

xotoxi

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2009
Yuurmaam
Proposal:

People who are eligible for Medicaid should lose their eligibility if they smoke.

Discuss.

(I'd prefer not to discuss whether or not Medicaid should exist, but rather if poor people, who have enough money to waste on cigarettes, should be given government funds for their healthcare.)

I agree, if you can spend $200 or more on cigarettes each month then you should be able to afford health insurance. I say the same with alcohol and lottery tickets but I don't know how it can be ascertained that you waste money on this.

I agree, if you can spend $200 or more on cigarettes each month then you should be able to afford health insurance. I say the same with alcohol and lottery tickets but I don't know how it can be ascertained that you waste money on this.

Good point about the other wastes of money...along with Twinkies and McDonalds.

But if we just stick with cigarettes, which is a very expensive habit, and a major health hazard, I think that there will be significant improvements in overall health...or there will be fewer people eligible for Medicaid and thus smoother roads and stronger bridges.

But if we just stick with cigarettes, which is a very expensive habit, and a major health hazard, I think that there will be significant improvements in overall health...or there will be fewer people eligible for Medicaid and thus smoother roads and stronger bridges.

OK, just cigarettes, I don't see a problem, not only Medicaid but any other taxpayer funded program. I use to smoke up $200 a month and that was when they were $2-$3 a pack, now I see that in some States they exceed $7 a pack, a 2 packer is literally burning up over $400 a month at that price!

OK, just cigarettes, I don't see a problem, not only Medicaid but any other taxpayer funded program. I use to smoke up $200 a month and that was when they were $2-$3 a pack, now I see that in some States they exceed $7 a pack, a 2 packer is literally burning up over $400 a month at that price!

I had a patient yesterday who wanted to quit smoking because the tax (in Maine) was going form $3.50 per carton to $10.

I guess that is another way of getting people to quit.

I had a patient yesterday who wanted to quit smoking because the tax (in Maine) was going form $3.50 per carton to $10.

I guess that is another way of getting people to quit.

LO, I guess so! I remember my Dad swearing to my Mom he's quit when they got to 50 cents a pack, my, how times have changed...or inflated.:lol:

I actually remember in Medical school a patient that kept bouncing back to the hospital for bouts of congestive heart failure because he couldn't afford his Lasix (diuretic costing approx $0.01 per pill).

His wife was a 4 pack-per-day smoker.

WTF!

I actually remember in Medical school a patient that kept bouncing back to the hospital for bouts of congestive heart failure because he couldn't afford his Lasix (diuretic costing approx $0.01 per pill).

His wife was a 4 pack-per-day smoker.

WTF!

:cuckoo:

Proposal:

People who are eligible for Medicaid should lose their eligibility if they smoke.

Discuss.

(I'd prefer not to discuss whether or not Medicaid should exist, but rather if poor people, who have enough money to waste on cigarettes, should be given government funds for their healthcare.)

Um ... you do realize it will cost more in hospital bills if that happened ... and smokers who could get Medicaid won't be paying those ... guess who would.

Who the hell is stupid enough to pay that much? Even rich people won't pay that much. I smoke a pack a day, and it costs me 30-50 a month, tops. If people can't shop for bargains anymore then no wonder why no one ever buys anything.

Also, what about those poor people who waste money on cars.

Then there's TVs and funky boxes for them.

What about cable and internet and phone?

How about those who waste money on liquor?

Then junk food?

Then those who waste money on clothes ... bastards don't need 50 pairs of shoes.

Coffee to.

Oh and don't forget those who waste money on makeup (400 a month easy for many).

Then the diet crap?

... it would never end.

Then junk food?

Then those who waste money on clothes ... bastards don't need 50 pairs of shoes.

Coffee to.

Oh and don't forget those who waste money on makeup (400 a month easy for many).

Then the diet crap?

... it would never end.

If they are paying for it great but nothing irks me like seeing someone buying cigarettes,lottery tickets and beer yet pay for their groceries with food stamps(or the electronic card they have)

Then junk food?

Coffee to.

Then the diet crap?

... it would never end.

If they are paying for it great but nothing irks me like seeing someone buying cigarettes,lottery tickets and beer yet pay for their groceries with food stamps(or the electronic card they have)

Why ... seriously, tell me what the difference is between what "irks you" and buying a brand new plasma TV with the money?

ciggies are going up kitten....i am in nc...least taxes ...carton of vantage 49.25....5.75 a pack

cheapies....are 2.50 a pack or 19.25 a carton... and this is before the new increase...

even ryo are going up....buglers are currently 1.50...pa...2.00

lets see what they are april 1

i hope obama is gonna legalize pot...cause there are gonna be a lot of pissed off people with oral fixations (lets go freudian, freudian lets go) fucking gum chewers....they will all be chewing that damned nicotine gum

ciggies are going up kitten....i am in nc...least taxes ...carton of vantage 49.25....5.75 a pack

cheapies....are 2.50 a pack or 19.25 a carton... and this is before the new increase...

i hope obama is gonna legalize pot...cause there are gonna be a lot of pissed off people with oral fixations (lets go freudian, freudian lets go) fucking gum chewers....they will all be chewing that damned nicotine gum

Look at rolling your own ... less than half that no matter where you are. The packs you pay more for the packaging and advertising than for the actual tobacco. I buy tobacco, filters, and rollers .. total cost is 30-50 a month at about a pack a day (maybe more). The funny thing is that I have been cutting back since I started, not because of those false fears of health effects or even cost, just because I don't like addiction (tobacco addiction taught me how bad addiction was, so I never even thought to try the harder drugs thankfully) so I have been resisting it more each day.

Look at rolling your own ... less than half that no matter where you are. The packs you pay more for the packaging and advertising than for the actual tobacco. I buy tobacco, filters, and rollers .. total cost is 30-50 a month at about a pack a day (maybe more). The funny thing is that I have been cutting back since I started, not because of those false fears of health effects or even cost, just because I don't like addiction (tobacco addiction taught me how bad addiction was, so I never even thought to try the harder drugs thankfully) so I have been resisting it more each day.

how did your thinking processess get so convoluted? :lol:

how did your thinking processess get so convoluted? :lol:

*rae* What was this comment toward?

Forum List

Back