Media Matters' Enemies List

I think you need to read brocks words in that politico link, I posted, and the guy runs the joint and actually had bodyguard because he thinks right wing snipers were going to kill him:lol:

Media Matters | Sources | David Brock | The Daily Caller

I know that David Brock is an idiot. He's not a "radical" though.

He's an rdean - not a radical, but a partisan hack.

*shrugs* I won't argue that right now....and be careful, Jillian has a soft spot for Rdean. ;)

anyway, the aca- American Campaign Academy v. Commissioner;

have a gander...

In three recently released determination letters, the IRS denied federal income tax-exemption under section 501(c)(4) to organizations that conducted training programs for members of a particular political party. PLR 201128032 (released July 15, 2011, and dated April 4, 2011), PLR 201128034 (released July 15, 2011, and dated April 18, 2011), PLR 201128035 (released July 15, 2011, and dated April 18, 2011).

For electronic versions of the nine-page exemption rulings:
PLR 201128032, PLR 201128034, and PLR 201128035
Summary

Each ruling involves an organization that conducted a training program for members of a named political party. Each organization applied for recognition of tax-exempt status as a social welfare organization under section 501(c)(4).

The IRS concluded that the organizations’ training programs primarily benefited the interests of a particular political party and its candidates. Any educational activities undertaken provided a partisan benefit considered to serve private interests rather than the community as a whole. Therefore, the organizations did not operate exclusively for the promotion of social welfare within the meaning of section 501(c)(4) and did not qualify for exemption.

KPMG Observation

In reaching its conclusions, the IRS cited the Tax Court’s decision in American Campaign Academy v. Commissioner—a 1989 case that involved facts similar to those found in the determinations. Although the Tax Court case addressed tax exemption under section 501(c)(3), the IRS stated that the standard for determining what constitutes private benefit applies to both sections 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4). The fact that the respective organizations were involved in politics had no bearing on the case or the determination letters.

TaxNewsFlash-Exempt Organizations

MediaMatters is a 501c3, not a 501c4. But it's close enough.

That ruling, as cited in your post, had nothing to do with the politics of the organizations. ACA was an organizations that specifically trained people to work for one party, not for the "public" good - which is where the violation occurred.
The fact that the respective organizations were involved in politics had no bearing on the case or the determination letters.

They don't have a hit list for smear campaigns by the media.

They certainly do have a hit list..and they certainly manipulate the media...

yes they attempt to manipulate the media.....and the hit list? how so?

Are you saying they don't target congresscritters or senators who don't endorse the second, or try to make life difficult for those who they think are trying to take their right away from them?

They certainly do have a hit list..and they certainly manipulate the media...

Are you saying they don't target congresscritters or senators who don't endorse the second, or try to make life difficult for those who they think are trying to take their right away from them?

absolutely they do.......

are you trying to draw an analogy between MM's actions and the NRA?

Yep....they are both doing the same thing IMO...You might be able to pick out nuances here and there, but they are cut from the same cloth IMO..

An internal Media Matters For America memo obtained by The Daily Caller reveals that the left-wing media watchdog group employs an “opposition research team” to target its political enemies. Included in the list of targets are right-leaning websites, conservative think tanks, prominent financiers and donors, and more than a dozen specific Fox News Channel and News Corporation employees.

“We will conduct extensive public records searches and compile opposition books on individuals,” declares the memo, likely written in late 2009. Investigations, it says, “will focus on the backgrounds, connections, operations and political and financial activities of the individuals.” (RELATED: Media Matters sources, memos reveal erratic behavior, close coordination with White House and news organizations)

One of those singled out for scrutiny in the memo is PayPal co-founder Peter Thiel, a self-described libertarian. Thiel “directly funded, through a small government group, prior racist attack videos by James O’Keefe, the right-wing operative who staged the recent ACORN video sting,” states the memo. “Thiel’s role in funding such attacks has gone completely unremarked and largely uninvestigated.”

“An opposition research team will serve to hold Thiel and others like him accountable.”

In addition to Thiel, the memo contains this list of “preliminary targets”:

Read more: Media Matters | Enemies List | Opposition Research | The Daily Caller

Entire list at the link.

Progressives are sick and paranoid and consider their fellow Americans the enemy.

Yep....they are both doing the same thing IMO...You might be able to pick out nuances here and there, but they are cut from the same cloth IMO..

being cut from the same clothe does not mean their actions are applied equally, or are as disparate, they are not(?). last time I checked and as far as I know the nra has not come done on anyone on say, XL keystone issue?

An internal Media Matters For America memo obtained by The Daily Caller reveals that the left-wing media watchdog group employs an “opposition research team” to target its political enemies. Included in the list of targets are right-leaning websites, conservative think tanks, prominent financiers and donors, and more than a dozen specific Fox News Channel and News Corporation employees.

“We will conduct extensive public records searches and compile opposition books on individuals,” declares the memo, likely written in late 2009. Investigations, it says, “will focus on the backgrounds, connections, operations and political and financial activities of the individuals.” (RELATED: Media Matters sources, memos reveal erratic behavior, close coordination with White House and news organizations)

One of those singled out for scrutiny in the memo is PayPal co-founder Peter Thiel, a self-described libertarian. Thiel “directly funded, through a small government group, prior racist attack videos by James O’Keefe, the right-wing operative who staged the recent ACORN video sting,” states the memo. “Thiel’s role in funding such attacks has gone completely unremarked and largely uninvestigated.”

“An opposition research team will serve to hold Thiel and others like him accountable.”

In addition to Thiel, the memo contains this list of “preliminary targets”:

Read more: Media Matters | Enemies List | Opposition Research | The Daily Caller

Entire list at the link.

Progressives are sick and paranoid and consider their fellow Americans the enemy.

only the white conservative ones.

Trajan said:
*shrugs* I won't argue that right now....and be careful, Jillian has a soft spot for Rdean. ;)

Really? Another of your "moderate" observations, which would be based on?

ahhh u make a funnnnny!!:lol:
I am a moderate now? quotes not withstanding? :eusa_angel:

and ole deanie...

i always find the rightwing obsession with rdean amusing.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/4804669-post28.html

my observation was about the wacko right, not about rdean.

:thup:

Reality check time.

Holder is too busy explaining running guns to Mexican drug cartels to prosecutute a minnow like Mediamatters for violations of federal campaign finance laws, and Timmy Geithner is too beta male to remove a non-profit tax status for Mediamatters after he was caught dodging tax liabilities.

I know that David Brock is an idiot. He's not a "radical" though.

He's an rdean - not a radical, but a partisan hack.

anyway, the aca- American Campaign Academy v. Commissioner;

have a gander...

In three recently released determination letters, the IRS denied federal income tax-exemption under section 501(c)(4) to organizations that conducted training programs for members of a particular political party. PLR 201128032 (released July 15, 2011, and dated April 4, 2011), PLR 201128034 (released July 15, 2011, and dated April 18, 2011), PLR 201128035 (released July 15, 2011, and dated April 18, 2011).

For electronic versions of the nine-page exemption rulings:
PLR 201128032, PLR 201128034, and PLR 201128035
Summary

Each ruling involves an organization that conducted a training program for members of a named political party. Each organization applied for recognition of tax-exempt status as a social welfare organization under section 501(c)(4).

The IRS concluded that the organizations’ training programs primarily benefited the interests of a particular political party and its candidates. Any educational activities undertaken provided a partisan benefit considered to serve private interests rather than the community as a whole. Therefore, the organizations did not operate exclusively for the promotion of social welfare within the meaning of section 501(c)(4) and did not qualify for exemption.

KPMG Observation

In reaching its conclusions, the IRS cited the Tax Court’s decision in American Campaign Academy v. Commissioner—a 1989 case that involved facts similar to those found in the determinations. Although the Tax Court case addressed tax exemption under section 501(c)(3), the IRS stated that the standard for determining what constitutes private benefit applies to both sections 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4). The fact that the respective organizations were involved in politics had no bearing on the case or the determination letters.

TaxNewsFlash-Exempt Organizations

MediaMatters is a 501c3, not a 501c4. But it's close enough.

That ruling, as cited in your post, had nothing to do with the politics of the organizations. ACA was an organizations that specifically trained people to work for one party, not for the "public" good - which is where the violation occurred.
The fact that the respective organizations were involved in politics had no bearing on the case or the determination letters.

I am not arguing the politics per se either, so you don't see the MM mission as laid out by Brock as the same?

being cut from the same clothe does not mean their actions are applied equally, or are as disparate, they are not(?). last time I checked and as far as I know the nra has not come done on anyone on say, XL keystone issue?

Not too sure what you mean..

Really? Another of your "moderate" observations, which would be based on?

ahhh u make a funnnnny!!:lol:
I am a moderate now? quotes not withstanding? :eusa_angel:

and ole deanie...

i always find the rightwing obsession with rdean amusing.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/4804669-post28.html

my observation was about the wacko right, not about rdean.

:thup:

uh huh.....you didn't need to include ' Rdean' , you could have just made the observation....but, its cool, you felt he needed some luv,I get it....did he rep you at least? :eusa_eh:

ahh so asking someone to defend or explain their hypocrisy is whacko?.....well, yes of course it is:eek:silly me.....

Reality check time.

Holder is too busy explaining running guns to Mexican drug cartels to prosecutute a minnow like Mediamatters for violations of federal campaign finance laws, and Timmy Geithner is too beta male to remove a non-profit tax status for Mediamatters after he was caught dodging tax liabilities.

In order to prosecute them, they had to have broken the law..

Reality check time.

Congress wrote McCain-Feingold. That kind of makes it a law.

Reality check time.

Congress wrote McCain-Feingold. That kind of makes it a law.

I know what McCain-Feingold is. Care to explain how MM has broken the law?

Forum List

Back