Media Matters' Enemies List

However, if they are regularly, (such as weekly), meeting with the White House to talk strategy for the coming week, they are endorsing a candidate, by carrying out the administrations wishes.

Media Matters | Sources | David Brock | The Daily Caller

Meeting with the White House isn't "campaigning", nor is it not allowed by 501c3 laws.

why was the aca denied their status then?

I explained that already. They were denied 501c4 status because their program specifically trained operatives for a single party - and that's all they did.

MediaMatters is esentially a blog site. Everyone can view it, and receive the "education" they claim to do. That's the difference.

Did you know that PNAC is a 501c3 as well?

no I am sorry, you are conflating ......

here is the gist of the nra issue-

It falsely claims in mailers and TV ads that Obama plans to ban handguns, hunting ammo and use of a gun for home defense.

now, you can argue the 'truth' of the charges, which is a matter of opinion, but the subject matter is inside the purview of the NRA, is it not?

that is why I posted the keystone issue that Media Matters was flogging....their is advocacy for a cause that is the principal of an orgs existence then there is advocacy for straight politics taking it where ever it goes in ANY context or subject- energy , military, education, lets put it this way, what doesn't media matter make an issue in the political context? see the difference?

You are lost within the confines of your own political agenda. I see nuances, nothing more...The NRA also has a political agenda. And it openly does endorse both GOP and Dems...

what the heck? first; I know the nra endorses dems too, thats becasue they are not predicated on sptting a political party they are sptting the 2nd amend.

second; my political agenda?

Media Matters has the POLITICAL agenda by reaching into every issue to proselytize upn in favor of democrats, see the difference there?

thats the third time I have delineated that difference for you, why do understand the NRA sppts whomever walks their walk but cannot find that true of MM and when I say so, you call me out for an agenda? It doesn't make sense.

Meeting with the White House isn't "campaigning", nor is it not allowed by 501c3 laws.

I explained that already. They were denied 501c4 status because their program specifically trained operatives for a single party - and that's all they did.

MediaMatters is esentially a blog site. Everyone can view it, and receive the "education" they claim to do. That's the difference.

wow, you or that is the law allows you to split hairs so fine, its pretty funny actually.

if their sole purview is foreign policy, I don't have an issue with it. frankly they can keep theirs and you can pull heritages, see where I am coming from?

wow, you or that is the law allows you to split hairs so fine, its pretty funny actually.

if their sole purview is foreign policy, I don't have an issue with it. frankly they can keep theirs and you can pull heritages, see where I am coming from?

I'm not arguing what the laws should be. In that sense, I have very mixed opinions (I get paid a lot of money from political 501c3s, but the political restrictions seem arbitrary).

I'm just saying what the laws are.

How much ammo did you buy in 2008/2009?I worked for ATK at that time, ATK owns Federal Premium. We laughed at how big our bonuses were. I want to thank all of you who stockpiled all that ammo before Obama took it away.

Alliant Tech Systems? ATK wasn't handing out bonuses in 2009, the corporation was struggling after the end of GMD/Orion.

Bullshit. The Armament/Sporting Group divisions received "value sharing" 2009 and 2010.

I'm not arguing what the laws should be. In that sense, I have very mixed opinions (I get paid a lot of money from political 501c3s, but the political restrictions seem arbitrary).

I understand that, imho, the law is screwed. they should all bite the bullet and self sppt.

I understand that, imho, the law is screwed. they should all bite the bullet and self sppt.

Having a tax exemption doesn't mean they don't "self-support". It's not like MMA is getting federal funding. I don't think its unreasonable to have a tax exemption for nonprofit organizations.

The topic of what qualifies as a "nonprofit" is an entirely different discussion.

The great and evil thing about politics, it's perceptions. The deal with Media Matters is wrong and doesn't pass the smell test.

Having a tax exemption doesn't mean they don't "self-support". It's not like MMA is getting federal funding. I don't think its unreasonable to have a tax exemption for nonprofit organizations.

The topic of what qualifies as a "nonprofit" is an entirely different discussion.

Media Matters is a political action committee and should fall under the same rules as other PAC's. (Leftists might want to rethink the whole Citizens United thing...)

Media Matters is a political action committee and should fall under the same rules as other PAC's. (Leftists might want to rethink the whole Citizens United thing...)

You're not understanding me.

You're arguing what you think should be true. That's fine.

I'm arguing what I know to be true. Facts, not opinion.

PACs have a very specific definition, legally. And MediaMatters does not fall into the definition.

The great and evil thing about politics, it's perceptions. The deal with Media Matters is wrong and doesn't pass the smell test.

What "deal"?

MediaMatters doesn't have a "special deal" with the IRS - they have the same "deal" that every other nonprofit organization has.

They certainly do with the administration.

No more so than PNAC had a "special deal" with the last administration. They're tax-exempt too.

Every presidential administration works with 501c3s. It's not a "special deal" in any way.

What "deal"?

MediaMatters doesn't have a "special deal" with the IRS - they have the same "deal" that every other nonprofit organization has.

They certainly do with the administration.

It's all about perceptions and in this case it reeks!

Well, actually not.

The only people who think that this "reeks" are Conservatives.

Liberals think PNAC and the Heritage Foundation's tax exempt status "reeks", too.

Both sides "perceptions" actually don't matter at all. All that matters is the reality.

PACs have a very specific definition, legally. And MediaMatters does not fall into the definition.

You'll find that UC2008 thinks ALL of his OPINIONS are facts...

But that's the point.

MediaMatters IS a PAC, why should laws be applied differently to them than other PAC's?

This has dubious standing in light of the 14th. And you're right, this is just my opinion.

But that's the point.

MediaMatters IS a PAC, why should laws be applied differently to them than other PAC's?

This has dubious standing in light of the 14th. And you're right, this is just my opinion.

MediaMatters is NOT a PAC. They don't endorse candidates or campaign for them.

Forum List

Back