Media Matters' Enemies List

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
An internal Media Matters For America memo obtained by The Daily Caller reveals that the left-wing media watchdog group employs an “opposition research team” to target its political enemies. Included in the list of targets are right-leaning websites, conservative think tanks, prominent financiers and donors, and more than a dozen specific Fox News Channel and News Corporation employees.

“We will conduct extensive public records searches and compile opposition books on individuals,” declares the memo, likely written in late 2009. Investigations, it says, “will focus on the backgrounds, connections, operations and political and financial activities of the individuals.” (RELATED: Media Matters sources, memos reveal erratic behavior, close coordination with White House and news organizations)

One of those singled out for scrutiny in the memo is PayPal co-founder Peter Thiel, a self-described libertarian. Thiel “directly funded, through a small government group, prior racist attack videos by James O’Keefe, the right-wing operative who staged the recent ACORN video sting,” states the memo. “Thiel’s role in funding such attacks has gone completely unremarked and largely uninvestigated.”

“An opposition research team will serve to hold Thiel and others like him accountable.”

In addition to Thiel, the memo contains this list of “preliminary targets”:

Read more: Media Matters | Enemies List | Opposition Research | The Daily Caller

Entire list at the link.

I do. That's why I posted it.

I'm wondering if anyone gets threatened or hurt on that list if truthmatters will denounce it.

Why do you guys need to be such drama queens? No one is "threatening" anyone.

Do you really think that newsbusters.org doesn't have an identical memo floating around, listing left-wing blogs and people?

It's a good list for them. I'm sure just about everybody on that list considers Media Matters their enemy as well.

An internal Media Matters For America memo obtained by The Daily Caller reveals that the left-wing media watchdog group employs an “opposition research team” to target its political enemies. Included in the list of targets are right-leaning websites, conservative think tanks, prominent financiers and donors, and more than a dozen specific Fox News Channel and News Corporation employees.

“We will conduct extensive public records searches and compile opposition books on individuals,” declares the memo, likely written in late 2009. Investigations, it says, “will focus on the backgrounds, connections, operations and political and financial activities of the individuals.” (RELATED: Media Matters sources, memos reveal erratic behavior, close coordination with White House and news organizations)

One of those singled out for scrutiny in the memo is PayPal co-founder Peter Thiel, a self-described libertarian. Thiel “directly funded, through a small government group, prior racist attack videos by James O’Keefe, the right-wing operative who staged the recent ACORN video sting,” states the memo. “Thiel’s role in funding such attacks has gone completely unremarked and largely uninvestigated.”

“An opposition research team will serve to hold Thiel and others like him accountable.”

Read more: Media Matters | Enemies List | Opposition Research | The Daily Caller

Entire list at the link.

well, many grps have lists of folks they compile research on, thats not new, But are there 'media' grps/entities who enjoy tax exempt status that do?

Entire list at the link.

well, many grps have lists of folks they compile research on, thats not new, But are there 'media' grps/entities who enjoy tax exempt status that do?

Newsbusters.org
Heritage Foundation
American Conservative Union

...and a few thousand more.

Who cares?

they are tax exempt, you should care, yes?

501c3s are not banned from having political opinions, nor are they under any obligation to be "fair".

They're simply not allowed to openly endorse a candidate or party.

There are plenty of partisan 501c3s on both sides of the fence.

(As to how I know this: It's what I do for a living)

I've been reading some some of this the last two days.

I heard there is a lot more to come to show the connections with the Obama administration

should be interesting

Last edited:
501c3s are not banned from having political opinions, nor are they under any obligation to be "fair".

Putting out a hit list for their smear and demagoguery campaign violates their exemption.

Not that you care, as long as they're attacking enemies of the party, you don't care what they do.

I do. That's why I posted it.

I'm wondering if anyone gets threatened or hurt on that list if truthmatters will denounce it.

Why do you guys need to be such drama queens? No one is "threatening" anyone.

Do you really think that newsbusters.org doesn't have an identical memo floating around, listing left-wing blogs and people?

from what I understand they watch the media.......thats what they do storys on or where they get their content...*shrugs*

if they have an enemies list and are tax exempt screw them, pull it. I am not up for allowing any of them right left center, to skate on paying taxe etc.

Putting out a hit list for their smear and demagoguery campaign violates their exemption.

Not that you care, as long as they're attacking enemies of the party, you don't care what they do.

No, it doesn't.

Entire list at the link.

Newsbusters.org
Heritage Foundation
American Conservative Union

...and a few thousand more.

newbusters I am not sure of, they are a media outlet and will look at their site, if they do do same, they should lose it......

the heritage foundation is on par with media matters? seriously? :eusa_eh:

No, it doesn't.

hello..

Media Matters' war against Fox - Ben Smith - POLITICO.com

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jun/21/gray-taxpayers-subsidization-of-war-on-fox-news/

Forum List

Back