Media Ignorance is the Problem

Tell me "Joe" are you aware that 85% of media donated money to Democrats?

Um, yeah, so what?

At this point, I wonder why ANYONE who makes less than six figures would vote for, much less give money to the pile of Crazy that the Republican Party has become in the last decade.

"Yes, I want to work harder for less money and get cheated out of health insurance!"

Wow, just wow. What an article. Mollie Hemingway lays it all out. Turns out the idiot posters on this site are only symptoms of the problem. The article gives example after example of pure ignorance from left wing journalists writing about things they dont understand and dont know about. But that doesnt stop them. I figured the yayhoos on this site were a bunch of atypical misfits. I was wrong. They are all too typical.
Media Ignorance Is Becoming A Serious Problem
Very few are well read, and have expertise across many boundaries. The media relays stories and events as they appear from various sources. It's very difficult to research each piece of information in a very short and limited time span. Basically, it's up to each individual to decide what's important enough to actually spend the time required to "prove-out" every single item in every single story. As far as history is concerned, it's not necessarily relevant in many stories that make headlines. Knowing names and date may be relevant and important when one claims to be an expert in certain fields, but rarely does it come into play when reporting current events.

The media has demonstrated a pack mentality for a long time and the internet has only made it worse. Rather than doing the old-fashioned hard work of investigating, all a "reporter" has to do now is pop online and find a version of a story they want to leverage.

Making it worse, of course, is the growing political division in the country. It's not as if "journalists" are immune to those divisions. Journalism and advocacy journalism are becoming less and less distinguishable.

My first assignment in my first class on my first day of college (I was a journalism/broadcasting major) in 1975 was to read All the President's Men. I've always thought that book was as damaging to journalism and it was helpful. It created "journalist as celebrity" in a way, and probably had a hand in moving advocacy journalism along.

Anyway, none of this is surprising.

One issue is that journalists first write the story and then go looking for the facts. So "rape culture on campus" is the story and UVA becomes the fact. Of course it didnt pan out that way.
"Bush lied us into war" is the story. Of course the facts dont support that either.
But we live ina narrative based time, not a fact based time. We see it here, sadly, every single day.
Sure, that's the way partisans behave. A partisan will begin with the end and then back-fill from there.

When that happens, it's much easier to pick apart the story. But with the media, the story is already out, it's too late for the most part.

I just mentioned on another thread that the internet and social media amplify and distort facts at the speed of light, and there appears to be no way to stop that.

True. We see it here all the time. When confronted with facts the left (and sometimes the right too) will respond "it's a rightwing site." "It's a lie." "He's the same guy who said X". etc. They cannot deal with adverse information, cannot evaluate its truth or falsehood. Cannot make reasonable deductions from given facts. Because the average IQ is 100 and half the people are below that.

Yeah...remember 2012 when you swore that all of the polls were oversampling Democrats? And now you're accusing the left wing of ignoring facts....dumbass.
Its what Rush Limbaugh ordered him to do.

The media has demonstrated a pack mentality for a long time and the internet has only made it worse. Rather than doing the old-fashioned hard work of investigating, all a "reporter" has to do now is pop online and find a version of a story they want to leverage.

Making it worse, of course, is the growing political division in the country. It's not as if "journalists" are immune to those divisions. Journalism and advocacy journalism are becoming less and less distinguishable.

My first assignment in my first class on my first day of college (I was a journalism/broadcasting major) in 1975 was to read All the President's Men. I've always thought that book was as damaging to journalism and it was helpful. It created "journalist as celebrity" in a way, and probably had a hand in moving advocacy journalism along.

Anyway, none of this is surprising.

One issue is that journalists first write the story and then go looking for the facts. So "rape culture on campus" is the story and UVA becomes the fact. Of course it didnt pan out that way.
"Bush lied us into war" is the story. Of course the facts dont support that either.
But we live ina narrative based time, not a fact based time. We see it here, sadly, every single day.
Sure, that's the way partisans behave. A partisan will begin with the end and then back-fill from there.

When that happens, it's much easier to pick apart the story. But with the media, the story is already out, it's too late for the most part.

I just mentioned on another thread that the internet and social media amplify and distort facts at the speed of light, and there appears to be no way to stop that.

True. We see it here all the time. When confronted with facts the left (and sometimes the right too) will respond "it's a rightwing site." "It's a lie." "He's the same guy who said X". etc. They cannot deal with adverse information, cannot evaluate its truth or falsehood. Cannot make reasonable deductions from given facts. Because the average IQ is 100 and half the people are below that.

Yeah...remember 2012 when you swore that all of the polls were oversampling Democrats? And now you're accusing the left wing of ignoring facts....dumbass.
Its what Rush Limbaugh ordered him to do.

Says the far left drone!

Tell me "Joe" are you aware that 85% of media donated money to Democrats?

Um, yeah, so what?

At this point, I wonder why ANYONE who makes less than six figures would vote for, much less give money to the pile of Crazy that the Republican Party has become in the last decade.

"Yes, I want to work harder for less money and get cheated out of health insurance!"

See how dangerous the far left religion truly is..

Wow, just wow. What an article. Mollie Hemingway lays it all out. Turns out the idiot posters on this site are only symptoms of the problem. The article gives example after example of pure ignorance from left wing journalists writing about things they dont understand and dont know about. But that doesnt stop them. I figured the yayhoos on this site were a bunch of atypical misfits. I was wrong. They are all too typical.

Oh, so since Zach Carter didn't read some of the obscure books that Mollie Hemingway likes, that makes him somehow ignorant.

Or someone tries to trick with a false map in order to create a "gotcha" moment (see: Fournier)

Got it.

I would bet good money that not one single Right-Wing Journalist has read all or any of the books that Millie Hemingway finds so unbelievably important:

"But then Carter said he hadn’t read various other books, such as Bernard Lewis’ Crisis of Islam, Robin Wright’s Dreams and Shadows, or Thomas P. M. Barnett’s The Pentagon’s New Map. He said he hadn’t read Dexter Filkins’ The Forever War"

This could be an interesting point to figure out.

So, fake Rabbi, is there a new book-reading litmus test put out by RWNJs to ascertain intelligence or ignorance? Hmmmm???

Have you read:

The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalim (Naomi Klein)

The Conscience of a Liberal (Paul Krugman)

Silent Spring (Rachel Carson)

To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee)

The Jungle (Upton Sinclair)

Aftershock: The Next Economy and America's Future (Bob Reich)

Perpetual War for Perpetual Peace (Gore Vidal)

???

Hmmmm???

If not, then you are obviously totally ignorant.

This thread is a crock of shit.
And chiming in right on cue, the biggest faux Jew of this site, spewing his stupidity and ignorance.
Wjat does "To Kill a Mockingbird" have to do with any of this? You know the book is a work of fiction, right? of course so is Reich's book.

Keep babbling, old man. You make just as much sense today as you did yesterday: none.

Oh, so since Zach Carter didn't read some of the obscure books that Mollie Hemingway likes, that makes him somehow ignorant.

Or someone tries to trick with a false map in order to create a "gotcha" moment (see: Fournier)

Got it.

I would bet good money that not one single Right-Wing Journalist has read all or any of the books that Millie Hemingway finds so unbelievably important:

"But then Carter said he hadn’t read various other books, such as Bernard Lewis’ Crisis of Islam, Robin Wright’s Dreams and Shadows, or Thomas P. M. Barnett’s The Pentagon’s New Map. He said he hadn’t read Dexter Filkins’ The Forever War"

This could be an interesting point to figure out.

So, fake Rabbi, is there a new book-reading litmus test put out by RWNJs to ascertain intelligence or ignorance? Hmmmm???

Have you read:

The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalim (Naomi Klein)

The Conscience of a Liberal (Paul Krugman)

Silent Spring (Rachel Carson)

To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee)

The Jungle (Upton Sinclair)

Aftershock: The Next Economy and America's Future (Bob Reich)

Perpetual War for Perpetual Peace (Gore Vidal)

???

Hmmmm???

If not, then you are obviously totally ignorant.

This thread is a crock of shit.
And chiming in right on cue, the biggest faux Jew of this site, spewing his stupidity and ignorance.
Wjat does "To Kill a Mockingbird" have to do with any of this? You know the book is a work of fiction, right? of course so is Reich's book.

Keep babbling, old man. You make just as much sense today as you did yesterday: none.

The irony impaired far left drones and their comments!

ROTFLMBAO at thefederalist.com

ROTFLMBAO at thefederalist.com

Says the daily Kos reader and MSNBC rabid fan..

Um, yeah, so what?

So -- Now we're the Party of The Rich again?

I thought we were the Party of the uneducated rednecks?

Since when do uneducated rednecks make 6 figures as a matter of course?

Your next post will probably portray us as just that.

I get confused...... Am I rich and uncaring or poor, racist, misogynistic, anti-science and stupid?

Media ignorance is not the problem.

Reader inability to understand, think, reason and evaluate is the problem.

1420504838bb0ae5a.jpg

I agree, an excellent article. I think it is a mistake to assume this is a problem unique to the left though. It highlights the importance of not simply accepting something as true because a reporter says it is true. Any reporter who leans in either political direction is going to slant information in that direction.

Typical right wing nonsense from the Rabbi. Hugh Hewitt asks Carter - political economy writer - a few questions and based on that comes to the conclusion he could have arrived at without even an interview. Gawd this stuff is dumb, any wonder the right wing in America accomplishes nothing but whining. Whine on righties, you all do it better than anyone.

Orcinus Hewitt A lying liar

'Hewitt: A lying liar'

"Digby has an excellent post holding up right-wing pundit Hugh Hewitt as an example of the pathology of movement conservatives, particularly their open mendaciousness in dealing with the uproar over The Path to 9/11.

Digby pretty much says it all ("Nobody in this entire episode has behaved with less integrity, less dignity or less probity"), and the Hewitt post that he focuses on is indeed a festering pile of falsehoods and distortions. But this one particularly stood out for me:" see link

You understand you just demonstrated what the problem is, right? You merely dismiss anyone who disagrees with you without a scintilla of evidence or even cogent argument.

I agree, an excellent article. I think it is a mistake to assume this is a problem unique to the left though. It highlights the importance of not simply accepting something as true because a reporter says it is true. Any reporter who leans in either political direction is going to slant information in that direction.
It's mostly a problem of the Left because most reporters are on the Left. Yes, it happens among conservatives as well. But generally I've seen it more among libs.

It's mostly a problem of the Left because most reporters are on the Left. Yes, it happens among conservatives as well. But generally I've seen it more among libs.

I've heard that said. I don't know if it is true or not. I haven't seen any evidence to support that most reporters are on the left. However, taking that at face value one would have to wonder why a segment of our society which is by nature one of the best informed groups (that is how they make their living, after all) would tend to be on the left. That alone makes me question the claim.

Personally, think most reporters just report.

I've heard that said. I don't know if it is true or not. I haven't seen any evidence to support that most reporters are on the left. However, taking that at face value one would have to wonder why a segment of our society which is by nature one of the best informed groups (that is how they make their living, after all) would tend to be on the left. That alone makes me question the claim.

Personally, think most reporters just report.
Journalists Media Professionals Donating Frequently to Federal Political Candidates this Election Cycle OpenSecrets Blog
Nope. The evidence is clear of left wing bias in the news and among reporters.

Forum List

Back