Meanwhile, Cop tases 76 year old man

Are you people retarded? That guy CLEARLY resisted. It couldn't be any clearer.

No, when the cop first cuffs him, the man has his back against the car, so he could not pull away, but it was a false arrest though.

The man was surprised the cop cuffed him and maybe moved a little because of that, but he had good reason to be surprised.

It was NOT a false arrest

This is what I've been saying. Learn your rights.

First of all, he didn't arrest the man, he attempted to detain him and cuff him, which is NOT the same as being arrested. you absolutely , positively DO NOT have the right to resist being detained.

Second of all, to the question of false arrest

Simple mistake of fact situations would generally not warrant attempting to elude law enforcement. However, there are some that would, such as:
  • the person making the arrest never identifying themselves, causing the defendant to believe they are the target of kidnapping or robbery.
  • the reasonable belief that the person making the arrest is an impersonator with the intent of victimizing the defendant.
  • the reasonable belief that the defendant would be the victim of police brutality if taken into custody by that individual.[

False arrest - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Third of all, Texas state law does NOT allow a person to resist an unlawful arrest.

TEX PE. CODE ANN. § 38.03 : Texas Statutes - Section 38.03: RESISTING ARREST, SEARCH, OR TRANSPORTATION
Search TEX PE. CODE ANN. § 38.03 : Texas Statutes - Section 38.03: RESISTING ARREST, SEARCH, OR TRANSPORTATION
0 1563

(a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally prevents or obstructs a person he knows is a peace officer or a person acting in a peace officer's presence and at his direction from effecting an arrest, search, or transportation of the actor or another by using force against the peace officer or another.

(b) It is no defense to prosecution under this section that the arrest or search was unlawful.

(c) Except as provided in Subsection (d), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

(d) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the actor uses a deadly weapon to resist the arrest or search.

- See more at: TEX PE. CODE ANN. 38.03 Texas Statutes - Section 38.03 RESISTING ARREST SEARCH OR TRANSPORTATION
The man not being charged with resisting arrest is not an indication that he didn't doing anything wrong. It's an acknowledgement that he's an old man and it was essentially no harm no foul.

Before firing his ass somebody needs to kick it up
oops, I guess my facts killed this thread

I guess...but the "detain", the hand cuffs and the tasing on a 76 yo man by a 23 yo cop was total bullshit, especially a cop that doesn't KNOW the law concerning what's legal and what's not when it comes to LICENSE PLATES. The cop was a pos.

Before firing his ass somebody needs to kick it up
oops, I guess my facts killed this thread

I guess...but the "detain", the hand cuffs and the tasing on a 76 yo man by a 23 yo cop was total bullshit, especially a cop that doesn't KNOW the law concerning what's legal and what's not when it comes to LICENSE PLATES. The cop was a pos.

I agree, the cop should have known the law regarding dealer tags.

I don't know what precipitated the decision to detain the man either, BUT that is the officer on scene's call. It happens.

I DO know that the old man should not have resisted though.

There's something called the OODA Loop that we all go through during confrontations. Cops and military troops are taught to move through it quicker to come out on the 'winning end.'

When people resist it will never end well for them. Officers won't walk away and say "Well sorry for bothering you"

You WILL comply or you'll be FORCED to comply, whether it be by an aggressive takedown, tazer or club to the body. Controlling the 'threat' is the first thing that will be addressed and when you don't comply you are a threat. Make no mistake about that.

I don't condone Police brutality and it does exist, but not every beatdown, tazer and clubbing is Police brutality. Comply and there will no problems. Spend a month on the streets with cops and you'll quickly figure out you would never survive in the environment without quick and decisive decisions. It's life and death and shit happens fast.

The decision to arrest this old man however was idiotic and should have never went that far.

Cops know what the job is before they apply. Their job is to deal with everybody in a professional manner even if all those people aren't reasonable. Complaining about cops having to deal with bad people is as stupid as an NFL quarterback complaining because someone tried to tackle him.

The dealer plates on the car was the precipitation...the asshole was wrong. That remains the weakest interpretation of "resisting arrest" I've seen... EVER. Totally uncalled for.

There's something called the OODA Loop that we all go through during confrontations. Cops and military troops are taught to move through it quicker to come out on the 'winning end.'

When people resist it will never end well for them. Officers won't walk away and say "Well sorry for bothering you"

You WILL comply or you'll be FORCED to comply, whether it be by an aggressive takedown, tazer or club to the body. Controlling the 'threat' is the first thing that will be addressed and when you don't comply you are a threat. Make no mistake about that.

I don't condone Police brutality and it does exist, but not every beatdown, tazer and clubbing is Police brutality. Comply and there will no problems. Spend a month on the streets with cops and you'll quickly figure out you would never survive in the environment without quick and decisive decisions. It's life and death and shit happens fast.

The decision to arrest this old man however was idiotic and should have never went that far.

Cops know what the job is before they apply. Their job is to deal with everybody in a professional manner even if all those people aren't reasonable. Complaining about cops having to deal with bad people is as stupid as an NFL quarterback complaining because someone tried to tackle him.
Quarterbacks aren't the ones complaining, the fans are.

The dealer plates on the car was the precipitation...the asshole was wrong. That remains the weakest interpretation of "resisting arrest" I've seen... EVER. Totally uncalled for.

Again, you don't understand the law.

Resisting arrest is NOT dependent on WHY you are being arrested. That's a point many seem to be getting confused on.

You can't say "fuck you copper that's not illegal " and fight the cop. Even if you ARE right.

I'm not so sure about that. The cops (quarterback in the analogy) are saying they have to break all the rules because they are subjected to the conditions they knew about before they took the job. Again, cops are supposed to act professionally and follow the rules even when some of the people they deal with don't. That's what they are trained for, and that's what should be expected. If they can't do an obviously extremely hard job, they should do something else.

Again...I understand the gd damned law. The 23 year punk cop was overly zealous with his interpretation of an OLD MAN resisting arrest/and or detainment. It was bullshit where the story ended with tasing. And the gd punk cop is the one that didn't know his effing job. Or just decided to abuse his actions.

I'm not so sure about that. The cops (quarterback in the analogy) are saying they have to break all the rules because they are subjected to the conditions they knew about before they took the job. Again, cops are supposed to act professionally and follow the rules even when some of the people they deal with don't. That's what they are trained for, and that's what should be expected. If they can't do an obviously extremely hard job, they should do something else.
The 'rules' when you are a police officer are to protect yourself from bodily harm and/or death in confrontational and/or threatening situations. When people resist or refuse to comply they become a threat, there's no getting around that. Things escalate quickly, so cops need to become the aggressors when confronted with such situations. Eliminating the threat is the first thing they will do.

The old guy could have screamed and yelled all he wanted, but the minute he pulled away he became a threat. The cop isn't going to let him go and continue to argue with him. He's going to neutralize the situation and be done with it.

Again...I understand the gd damned law. The 23 year punk cop was overly zealous with his interpretation of an OLD MAN resisting arrest/and or detainment. It was bullshit where the story ended with tasing. And the gd punk cop is the one that didn't know his effing job. Or just decided to abuse his actions.

All cops aren't bad, but the immediate defense of the bad ones are hurting the ability of the good ones to do their job. A good cop who supports the actions of a bad cop is not really a good cop.

Last edited:

The 'rules' when you are a police officer are to protect yourself from bodily harm and/or death in confrontational and/or threatening situations. When people resist or refuse to comply they become a threat, there's no getting around that. Things escalate quickly, so cops need to become the aggressors when confronted with such situations. Eliminating the threat is the first thing they will do.

The old guy could have screamed and yelled all he wanted, but the minute he pulled away he became a threat. The cop isn't going to let him go and continue to argue with him. He's going to neutralize the situation and be done with it.

Those aren't the only rules. Are you saying a cop shouldn't use a little discretion and common sense in who they attack? That's a big part of the job isn't it?

you don't understand the law if you believe telling a cop "no you aren't" and pushing and pulling away from him when he's trying to cuff you isn't resisting arrest

Those aren't the only rules. Are you saying a cop shouldn't use a little discretion and common sense in who they attack? That's a big part of the job isn't it?
I don't like the word attack, neutralize is more appropriate. Yes they should use discretion and common sense. In general they always do. They don't just tackle and zip tie/cuff people who are in a relaxed state of mind. The people who become irate and combative are the ones who get taken down/neutralized in these situations. The cops will often tell people to settle down before they decide to act.

I don't like the word attack, neutralize is more appropriate. Yes they should use discretion and common sense. In general they always do. They don't just tackle and zip tie/cuff people who are in a relaxed state of mind. The people who become irate and combative are the ones who get taken down/neutralized in these situations. The cops will often tell people to settle down before they decide to act.

I'd love to see some of these "armchair cops" work one shift.

I cuffed MANY people who ended up with NO charges , as long as they were cooperative. It was their safety as well as mine.

This could go on indefinetly. YES, I DO UNDERSTAND the law. When the guy is an OLD MAN you don't try to immediately cuff him EVEN AFTER he says 'no you aren't' and try to show him that YOU ARE THE GD BOSS. That's where a little cop diplomacy is REQUIRED and that sum bitch had absolutely NONE. NONE. NONE. And the old man ended up tasered on the ground. Bullshit!

P.S. had he been an OLD GREY HAIRED BLACK gentleman the cop should have STILL acted with diplomacy. The cop is/was a prick.

I'd love to see some of these "armchair cops" work one shift.

I cuffed MANY people who ended up with NO charges , as long as they were cooperative. It was their safety as well as mine.
They'd eventually end up on the wrong side of a beatdown, or worse, being gunned down. People don't understand the very very fine line between life and death until they have walked in a cops shoes. Most people aren't cut out for that kind of daily stress. They have to experience stress every time they pull some one over for a traffic violation. Something as simple as that could turn deadly. Has many a times in fact. A cop is killed every 53 hours in this country, people need to wrap their heads around that stat.

The cop was wrong to arrest the man.

The man did resist a lawful order from the cop, though, and bears the brunt of the tazer.

The cop will lose his job.

Win Win for everybody.

Forum List

Back