Meanwhile, Cop tases 76 year old man

Cops know what the job is before they apply. Their job is to deal with everybody in a professional manner even if all those people aren't reasonable. Complaining about cops having to deal with bad people is as stupid as an NFL quarterback complaining because someone tried to tackle him.
Quarterbacks aren't the ones complaining, the fans are.

I'm not so sure about that. The cops (quarterback in the analogy) are saying they have to break all the rules because they are subjected to the conditions they knew about before they took the job. Again, cops are supposed to act professionally and follow the rules even when some of the people they deal with don't. That's what they are trained for, and that's what should be expected. If they can't do an obviously extremely hard job, they should do something else.
The 'rules' when you are a police officer are to protect yourself from bodily harm and/or death in confrontational and/or threatening situations. When people resist or refuse to comply they become a threat, there's no getting around that. Things escalate quickly, so cops need to become the aggressors when confronted with such situations. Eliminating the threat is the first thing they will do.

The old guy could have screamed and yelled all he wanted, but the minute he pulled away he became a threat. The cop isn't going to let him go and continue to argue with him. He's going to neutralize the situation and be done with it.

Those aren't the only rules. Are you saying a cop shouldn't use a little discretion and common sense in who they attack? That's a big part of the job isn't it?
I don't like the word attack, neutralize is more appropriate. Yes they should use discretion and common sense. In general they always do. They don't just tackle and zip tie/cuff people who are in a relaxed state of mind. The people who become irate and combative are the ones who get taken down/neutralized in these situations. The cops will often tell people to settle down before they decide to act.

Go back and look at the video in the OP. Sure, the old man tried to pull away a little at first, but after that first half second or so. Years had pretty much neutralized him long before the incident even started. That was nothing but an extremely aggressive attack with the cop throwing him around like a rag doll. Do you really think that cop felt threatened, or is it more likely that he was just behaving as bullies do? Sure, cops have to subdue some people sometimes, but not that old man, and not this time. How can anyone expect kids to respect a blue uniform when they see this kind of crap?

This could go on indefinetly. YES, I DO UNDERSTAND the law. When the guy is an OLD MAN you don't try to immediately cuff him EVEN AFTER he says 'no you aren't' and try to show him that YOU ARE THE GD BOSS. That's where a little cop diplomacy is REQUIRED and that sum bitch had absolutely NONE. NONE. NONE. And the old man ended up tasered on the ground. Bullshit!

P.S. had he been an OLD GREY HAIRED BLACK gentleman the cop should have STILL acted with diplomacy. The cop is/was a prick.

I invite you to post your police experience.

None? Oh okay, then your opinion doesn't matter.

Meanwhile, as I explained. People are often cuffed for both their AND the officer's protection. See what happened when this old man wasn't cuffed?

I'm not so sure about that. The cops (quarterback in the analogy) are saying they have to break all the rules because they are subjected to the conditions they knew about before they took the job. Again, cops are supposed to act professionally and follow the rules even when some of the people they deal with don't. That's what they are trained for, and that's what should be expected. If they can't do an obviously extremely hard job, they should do something else.
The 'rules' when you are a police officer are to protect yourself from bodily harm and/or death in confrontational and/or threatening situations. When people resist or refuse to comply they become a threat, there's no getting around that. Things escalate quickly, so cops need to become the aggressors when confronted with such situations. Eliminating the threat is the first thing they will do.

The old guy could have screamed and yelled all he wanted, but the minute he pulled away he became a threat. The cop isn't going to let him go and continue to argue with him. He's going to neutralize the situation and be done with it.

Those aren't the only rules. Are you saying a cop shouldn't use a little discretion and common sense in who they attack? That's a big part of the job isn't it?
I don't like the word attack, neutralize is more appropriate. Yes they should use discretion and common sense. In general they always do. They don't just tackle and zip tie/cuff people who are in a relaxed state of mind. The people who become irate and combative are the ones who get taken down/neutralized in these situations. The cops will often tell people to settle down before they decide to act.

I'd love to see some of these "armchair cops" work one shift.

I cuffed MANY people who ended up with NO charges , as long as they were cooperative. It was their safety as well as mine.

Please explain that particularly stupid claim "This is for your protection" It didn't protect me from that ass kicking in Crystal beach.

I'd love to see some of these "armchair cops" work one shift.

I cuffed MANY people who ended up with NO charges , as long as they were cooperative. It was their safety as well as mine.
They'd eventually end up on the wrong side of a beatdown, or worse, being gunned down. People don't understand the very very fine line between life and death until they have walked in a cops shoes. Most people aren't cut out for that kind of daily stress. They have to experience stress every time they pull some one over for a traffic violation. Something as simple as that could turn deadly. Has many a times in fact. A cop is killed every 53 hours in this country, people need to wrap their heads around that stat.

BUT BUT he was just a little old man, little old men have never killed anyone DERP

Go back and look at the video in the OP. Sure, the old man tried to pull away a little at first, but after that first half second or so. Years had pretty much neutralized him long before the incident even started. That was nothing but an extremely aggressive attack with the cop throwing him around like a rag doll. Do you really think that cop felt threatened, or is it more likely that he was just behaving as bullies do? Sure, cops have to subdue some people sometimes, but not that old man, and not this time. How can anyone expect kids to respect a blue uniform when they see this kind of crap?
I will agree it was too aggressive. I will not argue with you on that. He could have controlled that old man without getting overly aggressive. I'm strong and well conditioned, and I respect the power I can exert on someone. I would have handled it way differently and gotten the same results.

I will agree it was too aggressive. I will not argue with you on that. He could have controlled that old man without getting overly aggressive. I'm strong and well conditioned, and I respect the power I can exert on someone. I would have handled it way differently and gotten the same results.

That's my point. A cop is supposed to evaluate a situation and decide a rational course of action. Sometimes in a split second Of course, sometimes mistakes will occasionally be made. However, quick decisions are just another part of the job they chose, and mistakes shouldn't be ignored. The cops want respect? Preventing this type of attack would go a long way toward that.

He will always be known as a super asshole, bully and example of a bad cop.

Same here, same thing I said about Brown though. Not all LEOs have the same physical capabilities.

I will also add that this kinda thing is why MANY LEAs are simply doing away with tasers and other non lethals, its not worth the hassle . So when a guy who actually IS a threat , cops have to go right to their guns.

He will always be known as a super asshole, bully and example of a bad cop.

Yes, but he will go home at the end of his shift.

I was known as an asshole at at least half of the places I served. It comes with the territory of being "the man"
Were you also known as a bully and bad cop? Did you ever have the opportunity to ruff up a 76 year old man because you didn't have knowledge about a simple motor vehicle code? Were you ever so paranoid that you would attack an old handicapped geezer because you were scarred the old koot might hurt you?

The cop was wrong to arrest the man.

The man did resist a lawful order from the cop, though, and bears the brunt of the tazer.

The cop will lose his job.

Win Win for everybody.

He won't lose his job for being wrong about a law..

He will for how he handled it.

Possibly

Meanwhile the old man, who handled things at least as poorly walks away with nothing.

Yeah that's justice

There's something called the OODA Loop that we all go through during confrontations. Cops and military troops are taught to move through it quicker to come out on the 'winning end.'

When people resist it will never end well for them. Officers won't walk away and say "Well sorry for bothering you"

You WILL comply or you'll be FORCED to comply, whether it be by an aggressive takedown, tazer or club to the body. Controlling the 'threat' is the first thing that will be addressed and when you don't comply you are a threat. Make no mistake about that.

I don't condone Police brutality and it does exist, but not every beatdown, tazer and clubbing is Police brutality. Comply and there will no problems. Spend a month on the streets with cops and you'll quickly figure out you would never survive in the environment without quick and decisive decisions. It's life and death and shit happens fast.

The decision to arrest this old man however was idiotic and should have never went that far.

Police are not in danger. Policing does not even rank as a top 10 dangerous US job. This old man was not a threat in any way. Some cops let their power authority go right to their head. People are tired of this shit & are marching in the streets, rioting & looting because of this shit. Cops need to give people a chance to explain their case instead of being violently attacked or killed by overly aggressive police.

There's something called the OODA Loop that we all go through during confrontations. Cops and military troops are taught to move through it quicker to come out on the 'winning end.'

When people resist it will never end well for them. Officers won't walk away and say "Well sorry for bothering you"

You WILL comply or you'll be FORCED to comply, whether it be by an aggressive takedown, tazer or club to the body. Controlling the 'threat' is the first thing that will be addressed and when you don't comply you are a threat. Make no mistake about that.

I don't condone Police brutality and it does exist, but not every beatdown, tazer and clubbing is Police brutality. Comply and there will no problems. Spend a month on the streets with cops and you'll quickly figure out you would never survive in the environment without quick and decisive decisions. It's life and death and shit happens fast.

The decision to arrest this old man however was idiotic and should have never went that far.

Police are not in danger. Policing does not even rank as a top 10 dangerous US job & most of them die from traffic accidents they cause, than by the hand of criminals. This old man was not a threat in any way. Some cops let their power authority go right to their head. People are tired of this shit & are marching in the streets, rioting & looting because of this shit. Cops need to give people a chance to explain their case instead of being violently attacked by overly aggressive police.

Last edited:
I invite you to post your police experience.

None? Oh okay, then your opinion doesn't matter.

Meanwhile, as I explained. People are often cuffed for both their AND the officer's protection. See what happened when this old man wasn't cuffed?

None as a cop...just as a victim of a short (?little man's disease?), buck toothed prick for St. Louis County police by the name of Officer Gurley who answered a call for a car wreck in which I was the hittee and not the hitter. But the drunk SoB that hit me as I was dead STOPPED, just happened to be the owner of a Phillip's 66 station on Gravois Ave right down the street from the Affton Precinct, which was where all the cops stationed at that location bought the gas for their police cruisers. The driver of the other vehicle was DUI and driving a CUSTOMER'S CAR which was at his station for SERVICE. This was in 1972 when a service station was still actually a "service" station. If you want the rest of the story, I'm going to have to charge you a fee to write it. Needless to say, I was the shaftee in the rest of the story. I'm getting pissed all over again talking about this...from 42 years ago.

Forum List

Back