McConnell: GOP Will Fight To Let ANY Employer Deny Birth Control Coverage

Right, no help for irresponsible behaviour. Sounds good to me.

You consider using contraception to be irresponsible behavior?

I guess I should have clarified, I'm sure that the beer wasn't helping me write that last night.

Having sex without a contraceptive and hoping you won't get pregnant is irresponsible. With the exception of very rare circumstances, I don't believe there is such a thing as an "unwanted pregnancy". If you're having sex without using any protection then you obviously wanted to get pregnant.

Last edited:
Did someone who was killed after getting ejected from their car in an accident want to die because they weren't wearing their seatbelt that day?

So there position is, no help for women getting birth control to prevent a pregnancy and no help in raising the child should the woman choose to keep it.

What's next? No breast cancer screenings?

Oh wait ...

Right, no help for irresponsible behaviour. Sounds good to me.

When I was a teenager I knew for a fact my parents would never bail me out if I ever got arrested for doing something stupid. They would let sit in jail for as long as possible. But it's one of the reasons why I never did anything too stupid. The knowledge that no one would be there to help me made me take much more responsibility for my actions.

Does it follow that every young person....... who's parents would, in fact, bail them out for doing something stupid............will inevitably do something stupid?

Inevitably? No. But I believe it makes them much more likely.

Wow, that should get the GOP a lot of votes!

So there position is, no help for women getting birth control to prevent a pregnancy and no help in raising the child should the woman choose to keep it.

What's next? No breast cancer screenings?

Oh wait ...

Why in your world does everybody always need help? Here's an idea... buy you own fucking birth control. Why are you fuckers so needy?

Employers are not people.

Nobody has tried to force any PERSON to do anytrhing that opposes their religious beliefs.

Good catholics are free to choose whether or not they will use contraception. They are not being forced at all.

Tyranny..................my ass. Comrades in arms? Just stupid.

People don't run businesses? Who does? Robots?

These are the same people who are prone to flipping out if a Muslim cab driver refuses to take a fare carrying an unopened bottle of alcohol.

IS that like you flipping out for a cabdriver that refuses to pick up an Arab or a black? Or is that different somehow?

These are the same people who are prone to flipping out if a Muslim cab driver refuses to take a fare carrying an unopened bottle of alcohol.

wtf? A cab driver is in the Business of transporting PEOPLE...

The courts are pretty clear that any business that provides a public accommodation, like restaurants, hotels, and taxis, cannot refuse to cater to anyone for any reason other than they simply don't have any room. I don't agree with that, I think people should be able to discriminate of they want to, bit the law is pretty clear. The amazing thing is people who support that interpretation still think Muslims get a pass because it offends their religion.

What distresses me as the last sane Republican is how the GOP is just walking into Obama's trap here. Seriously, Custer is coming over the Hill and there are a lot more Native Americans than he thought there was.

Last sane Republican? You are a fucking fascist idiot who wants the government to be able to threaten people who disagree with it with violence, if that makes you sane than I am delighted to be crazy.

let's look at the dynamics of this thing.

First, the Republicans really should want this whole national discussion to be about the economy, not about women vs. Bishops. Remember, this is the whole rational behind throwing social issues under the bus and nominating Romney despite his gun-grabbing, abortion-mandating, gay coddling ways.

The only thing that matters is the economy? You don't think freedom matters? Is having a good job and spending money more important than not being dictated to by the government?

Putting this on the front burner with Santorum nipping at Romney's heels is about the worst thing they could do to Romney. Romney never looks more uncomfortable or phony when he tries to pretend he's a social conservative. That's not his bag. It is Santorum's bag. Santorum made his entire career on appealling to the ultra-conservative "T" in PA. (For those not familiar, PA has huge Democratic concentrations in Philly and Pittsburg in the corners and a huge republican concentration in the "T" in between.)

Romney looks uncomfortable and phony every time anyone challenges him, it has nothing to do with his pretense of being conservative, fiscal or social. The guy is an empty head with expensive hair.

Second, there really is no way to carve out an exception for the Catholic Church that doesn't really allow EVERYONE to deny their employees birth control. Since we have an economy that is based on women in the work place being able to control their pregnancies while still having sex when they want to, that's going to worry a lot of people.

Sounds good to me, insurance should not be about providing routine care. If insurance companies actually think it will save them money in the long run they are perfectly free to offer it at their expense, something they would have do0ne by now if it actually worked the way you claim it does.

Now, yes, they could pay for it out of their own pockets. But taking away any perk upsets people.

OH MY GOD! we can't have anyone upset, they might complain to the government.

That in case you are even dumber than you have been working to convince me lately, is sarcasm.

Third, it brings back to the fore that, hey, RomneyCare is really the Beta Version of ObamaCare. Again, why nominating Romney in the first place is an awful idea, but making Romney attack a popular part of the plan while trying to weasel his way out of the fact his plan mandated the exact same thing...

Why is that a bad thing? Romney is not yet the nominee, despite the anointing by the media, and pointing out that he is not actually a conservative is probably good for the Republicans.

By the way, his plan, like those in every other state, did not actually require religious institutions to pay for birth control, but thanks for helping Obama with his lies, what else would a sane Republican do?

Well, I enjoy watching Mormons squirm, but it's probably uncomfortable for anyone else to see.

So what?

Fourth, it motivates the people who voted for Obama to start with. Remember, this is an issue the young care about more than the old. When you are in your forties, you don't care about this subject so much. In your twenties, when you aren't ready to have a kid yet because you are still paying off college loans, having to pony up more money to pay for pills is a big deal. You might show up for Obama even if the damned Oceans didn't receded like he promised they would.

You think the Republicans should let Obama get away with something that takes away individual freedom just because not doing so might get people to vote for Obama? How is that sane?

"Yet, in a majority of states, they already do — such as New Jersey, where state law requires Catholic colleges and universities to provide health coverage for contraceptives.
Twenty-eight states now require insurers that cover prescription drugs to also cover contraceptives. Of those, most do not allow religious hospitals to opt out. And nearly half do not allow religious universities to refuse, either."

Birth control a matter of public health, women's choice | NJ.com

Lies are lies no matter how often you repeat them.

Just saying something's a lie doesn't make it so.

Seriously? Do you have any idea how many times I already proved that particular statement is a lie? I am afraid if I post it one more time I will break the rule on spamming the forums. Get a fucking clue and read the threads before you spout soundbites that make you look clueless,

Oops, too late.

Law on the books in Georgia:

Official Code of Georgia Annotated § 33-24-59.6

Legislative Declaration Regarding Contraception; Coverage for Contraceptives​

(a) The General Assembly finds and declares that:

(1) Maternal and infant health are greatly improved when women have access to contraceptive supplies to prevent unintended pregnancies;

(2) Because many Americans hope to complete their families with two or three children, many women spend the majority of their reproductive lives trying to prevent pregnancy;

(3) Research has shown that 49 percent of all large group insurance plans do not routinely provide coverage for contraceptive drugs and devices. While virtually all health care plans cover prescription drugs generally, the absence of prescription contraceptive coverage is largely responsible for the fact that women spend 68 percent more in out-of-pocket expenses for health care than men; and

(4) Requiring insurance coverage for prescription drugs and devices for contraception is in the public interest in improving the health of mothers, children, and families and in providing for health insurance coverage which is fairer and more equitable.

(b) As used in this Code section, the term:

(1) "Health benefit policy" means any individual or group plan, policy, or contract for health care services issued, delivered, issued for delivery, or renewed in this state, including those contracts executed by the State of Georgia on behalf of state employees under Article 1 of Chapter 18 of Title 45, by a health care corporation, health maintenance organization, preferred provider organization, accident and sickness insurer, fraternal benefit society, hospital service corporation, medical service corporation, provider sponsored health care corporation, or other insurer or similar entity.

(2) "Insurer" means an accident and sickness insurer, fraternal benefit society, hospital service corporation, medical service corporation, health care corporation, health maintenance organization, or any similar entity authorized to issue contracts under this title.

(c) EVERY HEALTH BENEFIT POLICY THAT IS DELIVERED, ISSUED, EXECUTED, OR RENEWED IN THIS STATE or approved for issuance or renewal in this state by the Commissioner on or after July 1, 1999, WHICH PROVIDES COVERAGE FOR PRESCRIPTION DRUGS ON AN OUTPATIENT BASIS SHALL PROVIDE COVERAGE FOR ANY PRESCRIBED DRUG OR DEVICE APPROVED BY THE UNITED STATES FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION FOR USE AS A CONTRACEPTIVE. This Code section shall not apply to limited benefit policies described in paragraph (4) of subsection (e) of Code Section 33-30-12. Likewise, nothing contained in this Code section shall be construed to require any insurance company to provide coverage for abortion.

(d) No insurer shall impose upon any person receiving prescription contraceptive benefits pursuant to this Code section any:

(1) Copayment, coinsurance payment, or fee that is not equally imposed upon all individuals in the same benefit category, class, coinsurance level or copayment level, receiving benefits for prescription drugs; or

(2) Reduction in allowable reimbursement for prescription drug benefits.

(e) This Code section shall not be construed to:

(1) Require coverage for prescription coverage benefits in any contract, policy, or plan that does not otherwise provide coverage for prescription drugs; or

(2) Preclude the use of closed formularies; provided, however, that such formularies shall include oral, implant, and injectable contraceptive drugs, intrauterine devices, and prescription barrier methods.

In lawyer speak, that means if you don't cover prescription drugs you do not have to cover contraception. Obama's mandate, on the other hand, forces all policies to cover contraception as part of their regular policy, not the additional coverage of a prescription drug plan.

Thanks for proving yourself to be a clueless idiot and totally incompetent to discuss the issue.

Did someone who was killed after getting ejected from their car in an accident want to die because they weren't wearing their seatbelt that day?

Does someone who got trapped because they panicked and couldn't get out of the car want to die?

See, I can ask pointless and stupid questions just like you.

Insurance should cover birth control, abortion and sterilizations for those women whose lives are at risk with a pregnancy. The rest of them can buy their own.

There are an awful lot of medications that you can buy over the counter. If you NEED them a doctor can prescribe them and insurance pays. If someone CHOOSES for reasons of their own to take them, then insurance doesn't pay.

Whats the funniest thing about this thread,all the pissing for distance morally over contraception in its self a hoot,is the simple fact that if insurance companies are forced to provide coverages,premiums will go up,so where are the gains? you can buy rubbers at any corner store cheap along with many other birth control methods,No one forces two consenting people to have unprotected sex its a choice,taking your heart pills not so much.

Please be aware of the door legislation such as this will open...mandatory coverage includes the following, if you support NO MANDATE, than these too will disappear:

Federal Mandated Health Benefits
Federal law includes a number of insurance-related mandates.

COBRA continuation coverage
COBRA provides certain former employees and their dependents the right to continue coverage for a maximum of 18 to 36 months.

Coverage of adoptive children
Certain health plans must provide coverage to children placed with families for adoption under the same conditions that apply to natural children, whether the adoption has become final or not.

Mental health benefits
If a health plan covers mental health services, the annual or lifetime dollar limits must be the same or higher than the limits for regular medical benefits.

Minimum hospital stays for newborns and mothers
Under The Newborns’ and Mothers’ Health Protection Act of 1996, health plans may not limit benefits for any hospital length of stay related to childbirth for the mother or newborn child.

Reconstructive surgery after mastectomy
A health plan must provide someone who is receiving benefits related to a mastectomy with coverage for reconstruction of the breast on which a mastectomy has been performed.

Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Disabled and nondisabled individuals must be provided the same benefits with regard to premiums, deductibles, limits on coverage, and pre-existing condition waiting periods.

Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Requires an employer to maintain health coverage for the duration of a FMLA leave.

Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA)
Gives an employee the right to continuation of health coverage under the employer’s health plans while absent from work due to service in the uniformed services.

Pregnancy Discrimination Act
Health plans maintained by employers who have 15 or more employees must provide the same level of coverage for pregnancy as for other conditions.

State Mandated Health Benefits
The states differ greatly in the number and type of mandated benefits. The state of Idaho has the lowest number of mandates at 17 and Rhode Island has the most with 70.

You can find information about individual state mandates from several sources:

•Your state’s insurance department, which you can access from the website of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners
•The Kaiser Family Foundation website State Health Facts
•Georgetown University Health Policy Institute website Health Insurance Info
Both Sides of the Mandate Controversy
Much has been written about mandated health benefits and good arguments have been made by groups that are opposed to mandates and groups that support mandates. The following sources are a good start for understanding the differing opinions:

•From the Council for Affordable Health Insurance: Health Insurance Mandates in the States 2009
•From the National Women's Law Center: Mandated Insurance Benefit Laws - Important Health Protections for Women and Their Families

(1) Maternal and infant health are greatly improved when women have access to contraceptive supplies to prevent unintended pregnancies;

(2) Because many Americans hope to complete their families with two or three children, many women spend the majority of their reproductive lives trying to prevent pregnancy;

(3) Research has shown that 49 percent of all large group insurance plans do not routinely provide coverage for contraceptive drugs and devices. While virtually all health care plans cover prescription drugs generally, the absence of prescription contraceptive coverage is largely responsible for the fact that women spend 68 percent more in out-of-pocket expenses for health care than men; and

(4) Requiring insurance coverage for prescription drugs and devices for contraception is in the public interest in improving the health of mothers, children, and families and in providing for health insurance coverage which is fairer and more equitable.

(1) "Health benefit policy" means any individual or group plan, policy, or contract for health care services issued, delivered, issued for delivery, or renewed in this state, including those contracts executed by the State of Georgia on behalf of state employees under Article 1 of Chapter 18 of Title 45, by a health care corporation, health maintenance organization, preferred provider organization, accident and sickness insurer, fraternal benefit society, hospital service corporation, medical service corporation, provider sponsored health care corporation, or other insurer or similar entity.

(2) "Insurer" means an accident and sickness insurer, fraternal benefit society, hospital service corporation, medical service corporation, health care corporation, health maintenance organization, or any similar entity authorized to issue contracts under this title.

(c) EVERY HEALTH BENEFIT POLICY THAT IS DELIVERED, ISSUED, EXECUTED, OR RENEWED IN THIS STATE or approved for issuance or renewal in this state by the Commissioner on or after July 1, 1999, WHICH PROVIDES COVERAGE FOR PRESCRIPTION DRUGS ON AN OUTPATIENT BASIS SHALL PROVIDE COVERAGE FOR ANY PRESCRIBED DRUG OR DEVICE APPROVED BY THE UNITED STATES FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION FOR USE AS A CONTRACEPTIVE. This Code section shall not apply to limited benefit policies described in paragraph (4) of subsection (e) of Code Section 33-30-12. Likewise, nothing contained in this Code section shall be construed to require any insurance company to provide coverage for abortion.

(d) No insurer shall impose upon any person receiving prescription contraceptive benefits pursuant to this Code section any:

(1) Copayment, coinsurance payment, or fee that is not equally imposed upon all individuals in the same benefit category, class, coinsurance level or copayment level, receiving benefits for prescription drugs; or

(1) Require coverage for prescription coverage benefits in any contract, policy, or plan that does not otherwise provide coverage for prescription drugs; or

(2) Preclude the use of closed formularies; provided, however, that such formularies shall include oral, implant, and injectable contraceptive drugs, intrauterine devices, and prescription barrier methods.

In lawyer speak, that means if you don't cover prescription drugs you do not have to cover contraception. Obama's mandate, on the other hand, forces all policies to cover contraception as part of their regular policy, not the additional coverage of a prescription drug plan.

Thanks for proving yourself to be a clueless idiot and totally incompetent to discuss the issue.

Not quite. Most prescription and medical service insurance plans require a co-pay. obama's rules say every prescription or service eligible for a co-pay still has to pay it. Only birth control, abortions and sterilizations are prohibited from requiring a co-pay. They must be absolutely free.

Did Obama rewrite the Constitution while we weren't looking? Why should a small or big businesses have to pay for birth control for their employees? Negotiate the item in a benefit package if you have a union or buy the crap yourselves.

Nowhere in the Constitution does it prohibit the government from telling a business what to do.

can you tell me where it says the government can tell a business what to do?

Mike

It does?? Well, that's wonderful! Thanks for clarifying that for me. :)

Thanks for showing how desperate you ODSing Cons are to see points scored against the Prez since the economy angle isn't working so well. Doesn't look like this issue is having the intended effect, though.

It does?? Well, that's wonderful! Thanks for clarifying that for me. :)

Thanks for showing how desperate you ODSing Cons are to see points scored against the Prez since the economy angle isn't working so well. Doesn't look like this issue is having the intended effect, though.

What economy angle? 15% real unemployment, inflation, $15,000,000,000,000 debt, spiraling energy prices, worthless $, massive deficit spending, bailouts, union payola, etc?

That angle?

Forum List

Back