McConnell: GOP Will Fight To Let ANY Employer Deny Birth Control Coverage

Let me see if I understand you guys correctly. You think forcing your will on others is good and that the GOP is going to lose votes because they want to give people more liberty to make their own contracts?

Are you freaking dumbasses?

Watch and learn. New York, California and Hawaii have had these rules for 11 years and not one peep from the catholic church or conservatives. Romneycare had these rules and not one peep. The church abides by them.

Let me see if I understand you guys correctly. You think forcing your will on others is good and that the GOP is going to lose votes because they want to give people more liberty to make their own contracts?

Watch and learn. New York, California and Hawaii have had these rules for 11 years and not one peep from the catholic church or conservatives. Romneycare had these rules and not one peep. The church abides by them.

No state ever had these rules, but you wouldn't understand that because the White House said otherwise, and you believe anything that comes from them.

No state ever had these rules, but you wouldn't understand that because the White House said otherwise, and you believe anything that comes from them.

I don't listen or read what the white house puts out. I voted for Obama because he's black, his policies don't concern me.

"n a precedent-setting decision, the California Supreme Court ruled Monday that a Roman Catholic charity must offer birth-control (search) coverage to its employees even though the church considers contraception a sin.
The 6-1 decision marked the first such ruling by a state's highest court. Experts said the ruling could affect thousands of workers at Catholic hospitals and other church-backed institutions in California and prompt other states to fashion similar laws."

Read more: Court: Catholic Group Must Provide Birth Control | Fox News

"Yet, in a majority of states, they already do — such as New Jersey, where state law requires Catholic colleges and universities to provide health coverage for contraceptives.
Twenty-eight states now require insurers that cover prescription drugs to also cover contraceptives. Of those, most do not allow religious hospitals to opt out. And nearly half do not allow religious universities to refuse, either."

Birth control a matter of public health, women's choice | NJ.com

Santorum tried to soften his position on birth control today on Meet the Press. I wonder if anyone bought it, I didn't.

I don't listen or read what the white house puts out. I voted for Obama because he's black, his policies don't concern me.

"n a precedent-setting decision, the California Supreme Court ruled Monday that a Roman Catholic charity must offer birth-control (search) coverage to its employees even though the church considers contraception a sin.
The 6-1 decision marked the first such ruling by a state's highest court. Experts said the ruling could affect thousands of workers at Catholic hospitals and other church-backed institutions in California and prompt other states to fashion similar laws."

Read more: Court: Catholic Group Must Provide Birth Control | Fox News

Nice try, but total failure. The law in California does not require employers to actually cover prescription drugs, which is why Catholic Charities, and other Catholic institutions, do not offer prescription drug coverage in California without a co pay.

Seriously, even Chris Matthews doesn't let the idiots get away with it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d59UTGDZ6qI&feature=player_embedded]Matthews Scolds Heilemann For Regurgitating Incorrect WH Talking Pts On Catholic Contraception Issue - YouTube[/ame]

"Yet, in a majority of states, they already do — such as New Jersey, where state law requires Catholic colleges and universities to provide health coverage for contraceptives.
Twenty-eight states now require insurers that cover prescription drugs to also cover contraceptives. Of those, most do not allow religious hospitals to opt out. And nearly half do not allow religious universities to refuse, either."

Lies are lies no matter how often you repeat them.

What do you expect from a liar?

No they haven't.

Each of those states are economically in the toilet.

And links to these long standing rules plz.

oh and fyi; states are allowed to do things on the state level that the Fed should never ever do.

pity you don't get that, or that any other liberal does.

Employers are not people.

Nobody has tried to force any PERSON to do anytrhing that opposes their religious beliefs.

Good catholics are free to choose whether or not they will use contraception. They are not being forced at all.

Tyranny..................my ass. Comrades in arms? Just stupid.

These are the same people who are prone to flipping out if a Muslim cab driver refuses to take a fare carrying an unopened bottle of alcohol.

These are the same people who are prone to flipping out if a Muslim cab driver refuses to take a fare carrying an unopened bottle of alcohol.

wtf? A cab driver is in the Business of transporting PEOPLE...

Last edited:
What distresses me as the last sane Republican is how the GOP is just walking into Obama's trap here. Seriously, Custer is coming over the Hill and there are a lot more Native Americans than he thought there was.

let's look at the dynamics of this thing.

First, the Republicans really should want this whole national discussion to be about the economy, not about women vs. Bishops. Remember, this is the whole rational behind throwing social issues under the bus and nominating Romney despite his gun-grabbing, abortion-mandating, gay coddling ways.

Putting this on the front burner with Santorum nipping at Romney's heels is about the worst thing they could do to Romney. Romney never looks more uncomfortable or phony when he tries to pretend he's a social conservative. That's not his bag. It is Santorum's bag. Santorum made his entire career on appealling to the ultra-conservative "T" in PA. (For those not familiar, PA has huge Democratic concentrations in Philly and Pittsburg in the corners and a huge republican concentration in the "T" in between.)

Second, there really is no way to carve out an exception for the Catholic Church that doesn't really allow EVERYONE to deny their employees birth control. Since we have an economy that is based on women in the work place being able to control their pregnancies while still having sex when they want to, that's going to worry a lot of people.

Now, yes, they could pay for it out of their own pockets. But taking away any perk upsets people.

Third, it brings back to the fore that, hey, RomneyCare is really the Beta Version of ObamaCare. Again, why nominating Romney in the first place is an awful idea, but making Romney attack a popular part of the plan while trying to weasel his way out of the fact his plan mandated the exact same thing...

Well, I enjoy watching Mormons squirm, but it's probably uncomfortable for anyone else to see.

Fourth, it motivates the people who voted for Obama to start with. Remember, this is an issue the young care about more than the old. When you are in your forties, you don't care about this subject so much. In your twenties, when you aren't ready to have a kid yet because you are still paying off college loans, having to pony up more money to pay for pills is a big deal. You might show up for Obama even if the damned Oceans didn't receded like he promised they would.

Just saying something's a lie doesn't make it so.

No they haven't.

Saying "No they haven't" doesn't mean they haven't.

Law on the books in Georgia:

Official Code of Georgia Annotated § 33-24-59.6

Legislative Declaration Regarding Contraception; Coverage for Contraceptives​

(a) The General Assembly finds and declares that:

(1) Maternal and infant health are greatly improved when women have access to contraceptive supplies to prevent unintended pregnancies;

(2) Because many Americans hope to complete their families with two or three children, many women spend the majority of their reproductive lives trying to prevent pregnancy;

(3) Research has shown that 49 percent of all large group insurance plans do not routinely provide coverage for contraceptive drugs and devices. While virtually all health care plans cover prescription drugs generally, the absence of prescription contraceptive coverage is largely responsible for the fact that women spend 68 percent more in out-of-pocket expenses for health care than men; and

(4) Requiring insurance coverage for prescription drugs and devices for contraception is in the public interest in improving the health of mothers, children, and families and in providing for health insurance coverage which is fairer and more equitable.

(b) As used in this Code section, the term:

(1) "Health benefit policy" means any individual or group plan, policy, or contract for health care services issued, delivered, issued for delivery, or renewed in this state, including those contracts executed by the State of Georgia on behalf of state employees under Article 1 of Chapter 18 of Title 45, by a health care corporation, health maintenance organization, preferred provider organization, accident and sickness insurer, fraternal benefit society, hospital service corporation, medical service corporation, provider sponsored health care corporation, or other insurer or similar entity.

(2) "Insurer" means an accident and sickness insurer, fraternal benefit society, hospital service corporation, medical service corporation, health care corporation, health maintenance organization, or any similar entity authorized to issue contracts under this title.

(c) EVERY HEALTH BENEFIT POLICY THAT IS DELIVERED, ISSUED, EXECUTED, OR RENEWED IN THIS STATE or approved for issuance or renewal in this state by the Commissioner on or after July 1, 1999, WHICH PROVIDES COVERAGE FOR PRESCRIPTION DRUGS ON AN OUTPATIENT BASIS SHALL PROVIDE COVERAGE FOR ANY PRESCRIBED DRUG OR DEVICE APPROVED BY THE UNITED STATES FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION FOR USE AS A CONTRACEPTIVE. This Code section shall not apply to limited benefit policies described in paragraph (4) of subsection (e) of Code Section 33-30-12. Likewise, nothing contained in this Code section shall be construed to require any insurance company to provide coverage for abortion.

(d) No insurer shall impose upon any person receiving prescription contraceptive benefits pursuant to this Code section any:

(1) Copayment, coinsurance payment, or fee that is not equally imposed upon all individuals in the same benefit category, class, coinsurance level or copayment level, receiving benefits for prescription drugs; or

(2) Reduction in allowable reimbursement for prescription drug benefits.

(e) This Code section shall not be construed to:

(1) Require coverage for prescription coverage benefits in any contract, policy, or plan that does not otherwise provide coverage for prescription drugs; or

(2) Preclude the use of closed formularies; provided, however, that such formularies shall include oral, implant, and injectable contraceptive drugs, intrauterine devices, and prescription barrier methods.

Forum List

Back