McConnell: GOP Will Fight To Let ANY Employer Deny Birth Control Coverage

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
By Sahil Kapur

Not satisfied with President Obama’s new religious accommodation, Republicans will move forward with legislation by Sen. Roy Blunt (R-MO) that permits any employer to deny birth control coverage in their health insurance plans, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) said Sunday.

“If we end up having to try to overcome the President’s opposition by legislation, of course I’d be happy to support it, and intend to support it,” McConnell said. “We’ll be voting on that in the Senate and you can anticipate that that would happen as soon as possible.”

The Blunt amendment he was specifically referring to would “ensure that health care stakeholders retain the right to provide, purchase, or enroll in health coverage that is consistent with their religious beliefs and moral convictions” under the Affordable Care Act. Similar legislation was introduced by Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) before the White House announced Friday that it would allow religious nonprofits such as charities, hospitals and universities to opt out of paying for contraception coverage and force the insurance company to do so instead.

More: McConnell: GOP Will Fight To Let ANY Employer Deny Birth Control Coverage | TPMDC

Did Obama rewrite the Constitution while we weren't looking? Why should a small or big businesses have to pay for birth control for their employees? Negotiate the item in a benefit package if you have a union or buy the crap yourselves.

By Sahil Kapur

Not satisfied with President Obama’s new religious accommodation, Republicans will move forward with legislation by Sen. Roy Blunt (R-MO) that permits any employer to deny birth control coverage in their health insurance plans, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) said Sunday.

“If we end up having to try to overcome the President’s opposition by legislation, of course I’d be happy to support it, and intend to support it,” McConnell said. “We’ll be voting on that in the Senate and you can anticipate that that would happen as soon as possible.”

The Blunt amendment he was specifically referring to would “ensure that health care stakeholders retain the right to provide, purchase, or enroll in health coverage that is consistent with their religious beliefs and moral convictions” under the Affordable Care Act. Similar legislation was introduced by Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) before the White House announced Friday that it would allow religious nonprofits such as charities, hospitals and universities to opt out of paying for contraception coverage and force the insurance company to do so instead.

More: McConnell: GOP Will Fight To Let ANY Employer Deny Birth Control Coverage | TPMDC
Good. Love it when obamaturd is exposed to be an anti-constitutional fool.

Did Obama rewrite the Constitution while we weren't looking? Why should a small or big businesses have to pay for birth control for their employees? Negotiate the item in a benefit package if you have a union or buy the crap yourselves.

Nowhere in the Constitution does it prohibit the government from telling a business what to do.

Wow, that should get the GOP a lot of votes!

So there position is, no help for women getting birth control to prevent a pregnancy and no help in raising the child should the woman choose to keep it.

What's next? No breast cancer screenings?

Oh wait ...

sorry to burst you little bubble, but NONE of those things are the jobs of OTHERS...It is the persons Responsiblity..which it seems a lot of you don't know what that means or how to do it.

Last edited:
By Igor Volsky

Rick Santorum told an audience at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) this morning that insurance plans shouldn’t cover contraception services because birth control “costs a few dollars” and is only a “minor expense” for women:

In reality, oral contraceptives or “The Pill” range between $35 and $250 for the initial provider visit and the cost of a monthly supply of pills ranges between $15 and $50 a month, which amounts to between $180 and $600 a year depending on woman’s medical coverage. This means some women without insurance coverage for contraception may pay over $850 the first year of their prescription. Other forms of birth control are far more expensive. For instance, the cost for a monthly supply of birth control patches ranges from $15 to $80 dollars, or between $180 and $960 a year. Combined with the doctors visit, uninsured women could spend over $1,200 dollars in the first year.

Santorum has long opposed contraception and has pledged to preach about “the dangers of contraception in this country,” if elected president. “It’s not okay. It’s a license to do things in a sexual realm that is counter to how things are supposed to be,” he has said. The former Pennsylvania senator has also claimed that states have the right to outlaw birth control.

More: Santorum: Birth Control Is Not Something 'You Need Insurance For' Because It Costs 'Just A Few Dollars' | ThinkProgress

Santorum on contraception - YouTube

NOTE: Santorum also overlooks the fact that contraceptives are not a one-size-fits-all. What may be right for one woman may not be right for another woman, depending on factors such as health and lifestyle - and prices vary.

By Sahil Kapur

Yup, today's Republican Party has lost their fuckin' minds.

By Sahil Kapur

Yup, today's Republican Party has lost their fuckin' minds.

They're in good company.... with the Democrats.

Pharmacy Refusals 101

PRESCRIPTION CONTRACEPTION IS BASIC HEALTH CARE FOR WOMEN

■Family planning is central to good health care for women. Access to contraception is critical to preventing unintended pregnancies and to enabling women to control the timing and spacing of their pregnancies. Contraceptive use in the United States is virtually universal among women of reproductive age. A woman who wants only two children must use contraception for roughly three decades of her life. Also, women rely on prescription contraceptives for a range of medical purposes in addition to birth control, such as regulation of cycles and endometriosis.

■Emergency contraception (EC), also known as the morning after pill, is an FDA-approved form of contraception that prevents pregnancy after sexual intercourse. EC is a time-sensitive medication that has great potential to prevent unintended pregnancies. Currently, there are several options for emergency contraception available, one that requires a prescription and two that are available without a prescription for individuals 17 and older.

REFUSALS TO DISPENSE CONTRACEPTION ARE INCREASING

■Reports of pharmacist refusals to fill prescriptions for birth control—or provide EC to individuals who do not require a prescription—have surfaced in at least twenty-four states across the nation, including: AZ, CA, DC, GA, IL, LA, MA, MI, MN, MO, MT, NH, NY, NC, OH, OK, OR, RI, TN, TX, VA, WA, WV, WI.

■These refusals to dispense prescription contraceptives or provide EC are based on personal beliefs, not on legitimate medical or professional concerns. The same pharmacists who refuse to dispense contraceptives because of their personal beliefs often refuse to transfer a woman’s prescription to another pharmacist or to refer her to another pharmacy. These refusals can have devastating consequences for women’s health.

More: Pharmacy Refusals 101 | National Women's Law Center

So there position is, no help for women getting birth control to prevent a pregnancy and no help in raising the child should the woman choose to keep it.

Oh wait ...

sorry to burst you little bubble, but NONE of those things are the jobs of OTHERS...It is the persons Responsiblity..which it seems a lot of you don't know what that means or how to do it.

I think you're missing the point here. If a woman gets pregnant unexpectedly and decides to keep and raise the child, why does the Right NOT support that? Why do they want to make that as hard as possible for the woman? That makes no sense.

Maybe the way to get fewer abortions is to hand out birth control and give assistance to single mothers. Not the other way around.

Oh wait ...

Right, no help for irresponsible behaviour. Sounds good to me.

When I was a teenager I knew for a fact my parents would never bail me out if I ever got arrested for doing something stupid. They would let sit in jail for as long as possible. But it's one of the reasons why I never did anything too stupid. The knowledge that no one would be there to help me made me take much more responsibility for my actions.

If we put the onus on employers to provide this, then they have to follow the guidelines.

The thing is, buying it ourselves - let us say we let our employer just give us in pay what we would have paid in insurance- would quickly wipe the current system out.

Businesses, by the way, really don't have a problem with this. Businesses realize that pregnancy costs them a hell of a lot more than Birth Control, even if insurance does cover it.

For instance, our HR manager went out for a pregnancy last year. They had to hire a temp to fill in for her, working a month before she left and a month afterwards. Other people had to pick up her slack. Sometimes they don't come back at all.

This isn't a business thing for the Church, it's a "we want to be able to impose our silly beliefs on others" thing.

Which is probably EXACTLY what Obama was going for here. Pit the Bishops against the women. Hmmm... I suspect we have 150 million women in this country and only about 100 Bishops.... let me know how that works out for you.

Oh wait ...

I think you're missing the point here. If a woman gets pregnant unexpectedly and decides to keep and raise the child, why does the Right NOT support that? Why do they want to make that as hard as possible for the woman? That makes no sense.

Maybe the way to get fewer abortions is to hand out birth control and give assistance to single mothers. Not the other way around.

ok, well you start taking DONATIONS from all your lib friends and get right on that. Us TAXPAYERS and our country is BLED dry.

Last edited:

Oh wait ...

Right, no help for irresponsible behaviour. Sounds good to me.

When I was a teenager I knew for a fact my parents would never bail me out if I ever got arrested for doing something stupid. They would let sit in jail for as long as possible. But it's one of the reasons why I never did anything too stupid. The knowledge that no one would be there to help me made me take much more responsibility for my actions.

So sex is now "Irresponsible behavior"?

We have an entire economy that is based on easy access to birth control...

The Men Behind The War On Women

By Laura Bassett

A group of men with no real background in law or medicine, but blessed with a strong personal interest in women’s bodies, have quietly influenced all of the major anti-abortion legislation over the past several years. The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops may be one of the quietest, yet most powerful lobbies on Capitol Hill, with political allies that have enabled them to roll back decades of law and precedent.

Over the past two years the GOP-controlled House of Representatives has launched one of the most extreme assaults on women's choice the U.S. has seen in decades. Republicans voted twice to slash federal family planning funds for low-income women, moved to prevent women from using their own money to buy insurance plans that cover abortion, introduced legislation that would force women to have ultrasounds before receiving an abortion and, most recently, passed a bill that will allow hospitals to refuse to perform emergency abortions for women with life-threatening pregnancy complications.

But the erosion of women's rights didn't begin with the GOP takeover. President Barack Obama's health care reform law contained some of the most restrictive abortion language seen in decades.

Lift the curtain, and behind the assault was the conference of bishops.

More: The Men Behind The War On Women

Forum List

Back