McCain is the Greatest Flip Flopper of all time

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
"Fortune: Jonathan Chait has written in The New Republic that if John McCain circa 2007 were running against John McCain circa 2000, he would call John McCain 2000 a Communist."

McCain goes over to the dark side - Los Angeles Times

"Meanwhile, McCain is going around saying things like, "I take stands on principle, and I don't switch positions depending on what audience or what time it is in the electoral calendar." Apparently we're supposed to swallow the notion that Barack Obama's (short) list of policy reversals is entirely motivated by political calculation, while the extremely long list of issues where McCain has moved right since 2004 is a response to "changed circumstances.""

McCain Responds to Chait, Chait Responds to McCain - The Plank

"Long-time readers know that I’ve been emphasizing John McCain’s dozens of major policy flip-flops for months now, hoping that this would a) catch on as a campaign issue; and b) undermine McCain’s unearned reputation for principled stands on the issues."

http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/archives/15924.html

"Fortune: Jonathan Chait has written in The New Republic that if John McCain circa 2007 were running against John McCain circa 2000, he would call John McCain 2000 a Communist."

"Meanwhile, McCain is going around saying things like, "I take stands on principle, and I don't switch positions depending on what audience or what time it is in the electoral calendar." Apparently we're supposed to swallow the notion that Barack Obama's (short) list of policy reversals is entirely motivated by political calculation, while the extremely long list of issues where McCain has moved right since 2004 is a response to "changed circumstances.""

"Long-time readers know that I’ve been emphasizing John McCain’s dozens of major policy flip-flops for months now, hoping that this would a) catch on as a campaign issue; and b) undermine McCain’s unearned reputation for principled stands on the issues."

Long-time readers know you are a lost in the sauce, uber-leftwingnut who spews baseless accusations against anything to the right of you on a regular basis.

You killed your own credibility LONG ago.

"I take stands on principle, and I don't switch positions depending on what audience or what time it is in the electoral calendar."

this quote made me laugh quite heavily. oh mccain, you sure are entertaining.

I can't think of anything McCain has directly flipflopped on offhand. You have any examples?

For instance, he said he was against the GWB tax cuts when Bush was first trying to pass them.

Now he says he want's to keep the tax cuts. Well, duh, we were not in or near a recession when he was first against the tax cuts. Increasing tax rates during a recession is a recipe for a depression.

He (quite smartly) was against ethanol back then, too, because at the time and to a degree even today the ethnaol business is a hoax. But now that oil and hence gas is through the roof, ethanol and other biofuels become more compelling to use.

These are not flipflops.

Flipflops are what Obama is famous for: The handgun ban is constitutional, next the same handgun ban is no longer constitutional. Did the fucking constitution change Odumba? First Obama challenges anyone else to take public financing if he did, and McCain accept his challenge. Then Obama backs out on his deal. Has public financing changed? Nope. But he says that public financing is flaud, not that he now knows he can get a lot of private donors.

Those are flipflops.

Last edited:
I counted maybe one flipflop out of all of those, though I really did merely scan the last third of the page or so. The flipflop was on Roe v Wade.

Every week or so Obama flipflops more than McCain does in a decade of politics.

Last edited:
Long-time readers know you are a lost in the sauce, uber-leftwingnut who spews baseless accusations against anything to the right of you on a regular basis.

I think you are mistaking me for someone who cares what you think.

A vote for John McCain is a vote against the fundamental principle of America, the right of the individual to lead their life privately without the government interfering.

it is called nuance and refinement of posistion based on reason and new information.....

Wow, a weaker excuse for flip flopping was never heard. Let's be honest here, McCain had no choice, the republican party is a sect today.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rio6xL8XFZw]YouTube - Cafferty: The McCain Flip-Flop[/ame]

A vote for John McCain is a vote against the fundamental principle of America, the right of the individual to lead their life privately without the government interfering.

>

what makes us mad is that we liked moderate mccain. he demonstrated that he knows right from wrong. some people think he's only pretending to be a right wing nut because its his only chance. without th dumb ass vote, its not even close.

and I don't think he'll flip back to the good john mccain. he has lobbyists running and financing his political machine.

face it, you have no credibility. I can guess your position on every issue without even talking to you. I just have to listen to rush, o'reily or glenn beck.

me, I like olbermann.

I counted maybe one flipflop out of all of those, though I really did merely scan the last third of the page or so. The flipflop was on Roe v Wade.

Every week or so Obama flipflops more than McCain does in a decade of politics.

guess you didnt read any of that page, or simply wont admit that he has switched opinions. your bias is getting in the way of your comprehension skills again

guess you didnt read any of that page, or simply wont admit that he has switched opinions. your bias is getting in the way of your comprehension skills again

No bias. I just know the facts, unlike you, surrounding most of those things, and almost none of them qualify as a flipflop. IMO, a flipflop requires a change of opinion on something where the applicable environment regarding the opion has not changed since the first opinion was formed. Similarily, I don't consider Obama a flipflopper on his recent backing off of getting us immediately out of Iraq because the surge is working quite well and he'd be a fool to do it.

These are in living color...

I always find it amusing that flip flops only matter to the right when they're on the other side, but whatchagonnado?

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

and I don't think he'll flip back to the good john mccain. he has lobbyists running and financing his political machine.

I agree with you, it is a shame for both parties that the whole ordeal of running for president became a show of who can appear like everyone's favorite single issue promoter.

Bageant in 'Deer Hunting with Jesus' notes even the uneducated know what the important issues are, the trick is getting them to think of them and not the other BS when voting.

Author Joe Bageant

Last edited:
These are in living color...

I always find it amusing that flip flops only matter to the right when they're on the other side, but whatchagonnado?

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Oh and I guess....
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/john-stephenson/2008/07/03/more-obama-flip-flops-media-will-ignore
Everyone can add two more Obama flip-flops to the ever-growing list. Obama managed to make a full circle twist on the war in Iraq. After gathering the liberal masses on his promise to quickly withdraw troops from Iraq, now that its time to tack to the center he makes a full reversal. In his words, he has always held the right to "refine" his position on Iraq depending on circumstances.

“I’ve always said that the pace of withdrawal would be dictated by the safety and security of our troops and the need to maintain stability. That assessment has not changed,” he said. “And when I go to Iraq and have a chance to talk to some of the commanders on the ground, I’m sure I’ll have more information and will continue to refine my policies.”…

“My 16-month timeline, if you examine everything that I’ve said, was always premised on making sure that our troops were safe,” he said. “I said that based on the information that we had received from our commanders that one to two brigades a month could be pulled out safely, from a logistical perspective. My guiding approach continues to be that we’ve got to make sure that our troops are safe and that Iraq is stable.”

He added, “I’m going to continue to gather information to find out whether those conditions still hold.”

It's official. The Obama campaign has entered John Kerry territory when it comes to changing positions on Iraq.

Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama says "mental distress" should not qualify as a health exception for late term-abortions, a key distinction not embraced by many supporters of abortion rights.

In an interview this week with "Relevant," a Christian magazine, Obama said prohibitions on late-term abortions must contain "a strict, well defined exception for the health of the mother."

Obama then added: "Now, I don't think that 'mental distress' qualifies as the health of the mother. I think it has to be a serious physical issue that arises in pregnancy, where there are real, significant problems to the mother carrying that child to term."
Last year, after the Supreme Court upheld a federal ban on late-term abortions, Obama said he "strongly disagreed" with the ruling because it "dramatically departs from previous precedents safeguarding the health of pregnant women."

Public financing, meeting with leaders without pre-conditions, welfare reform.....and the list of Obama flip flops goes on and on......

I will give you that MCcain has changed his position on certain things. While MCcain has changed positions, his changing of positions have occured over 30 years of national public service. While Obama's flip flops have occured in this election cycle....which is worse?

Last edited:
The trouble with comparing flip flops is substance but given the rhetorical network of the right it will seem to some and the dumb that Obama is worse and so it goes....

http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/archives/9111.html

The trouble with comparing flip flops is substance but given the rhetorical network of the right it will seem to some and the dumb that Obama is worse and so it goes....

http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/archives/9111.html

Substance?

But his shift on public finance is hardly shocking when taken in the context of his many other major (and some minor) flip-flops.

I just ask you to consider the common thread underlying all of these turnarounds (though just a partial list):

a) his condemnation of union contributions to the Clinton and Edwards campaigns as "special interest money" but his eager acceptance of such money for himself as coming from representatives of the "working people";

b) his flip on ending (January 2004) then retaining (August 2007) the Cuba embargo;

c) his March 2004 statement that opposed a crackdown on businesses hiring illegal immigrants, compared with his Jan. 31, 2008, debate statement endorsing such a crackdown;

d) his advocating the decriminalization of marijuana in January 2004 versus his Oct. 30, 2007, position opposing its decriminalization;

e) his jaw-dropping same-day flip on having Jerusalem remain the undivided capital of Israel;

f) his shameless reversal on NAFTA;

g) his nearly immediate backtracking on whether Iran poses a serious threat to America;

h) his progressive position shifts on Iraq — as documented by Peter Wehner and Michael Barone — from "don't go in, stay in, and get out";

i) and his vigorous defense then abandonment of both his pastor and his church.

The common thread, in a word, is expedience. It is not toughness; it is not savvy; it is not gravitas; and by all means, it is not admirable.

That's just a few Obama flip flops....there are many more...

Forum List

Back