McCain: I can't promise to support Palin for president

Jillian Wrote:
You know, you usually go for much more complex answers. That one seems to me to defy logic. Had this been a normal election year, the pick of Palin might have made sense. But the economy tanked and it wasn't a "base" year, so he actually had to look like he was equipped to handle things. Unfortunately, the pretend suspension of his campaign, and his comments that "the fundamentals of the economy" made him look blathering... and his choicee of Palin kept the middle away from McCain in droves.

You know, sometimes the simplest answers are the right ones, Jillian. Historically, McCain didn't have much of a chance of winning in the first place. The fact that his gaffes were covered far more than Obama's were certainly one problem, and in my opinion, his choice of Palin was another. Considering that the conservative base would have been just as satisfied, if not more so so, with a choice like Romney - the Palin decision came across as, "I think you people are dumber than dogshit, so I'm going to choose someone who is so far right that no one in the party can say "boo" to me about it. I don't like her, but please just vote for me, idiot!"

I'm not surprised that it didn't work, I'm not surprised that McCain didn't manage to win over the people who didn't want him to run in the first place...and I'm not surprised that McCain now seems to be blaming his campaigns missteps on others.

The "MSM" (And I do hate that expression, b/c what should news be? Extremist? Freakshow? No. It SHOULD be mainstream) never did anything but report glowingly on McCain... until Palin proved she knows nothing about nothing... and then they did their job... you know, actually interviewed her.

We can agree to disagree on this one, of course...but I believe that the ombudsmen of several different very prominent newspapers side with me. McCain/Palin were treated abysmmally by the MSM, while Obama was treated like an untouchable god.

I feel that McCain, who has been used to being a media darling for decades - beloved by Hollywood, the left, the media, moderate America...was quite taken aback by the fact that the moment he became the man running against Obama - all of a sudden his sweetheart status was revoked.

He has always been someone who loved to do whatever would bring him the most praise...I think now he is desperately trying to say that none of his campaign's mistakes were his idea.

And did you really think anyone to the left of Atilla the Hun was going to vote for someone who said there were "pro-America parts of the country?"

I think Palin's unpreparedness for the position has nothing to do with McCain's choice to blame their loss on her now. He had the choice to pick her...he did, it backfired. He does not need to say that he would support her in 2012...I sure know I won't...but his interviews of late have been filled with, "If I say it was all everyone else's idea...if I tell you that I hated Palin too...will you like me again?!?! PLEASE, I just want to be liked again!!!"

There are many, MANY issues I have disagreed with McCain on over the years - but I still wish he had just run his campaign as the man he was - a moderate who was VERY willing to compromise on almost every issue...rather than trying to play a conservative poorly and with disdain.

for the same reason carter going to met with the hamas is a story...but you were all over that one werent you? i guess this one doesnt meet your political needs? both men are now private citizens with all the rights that gives then.. but i dont expect you to see both sides

If Palin thinks she has a chance in 2012, she is delusional. If republicans would nominate her, we might as well save the money and let Obama be president for eight years.

If Palin thinks she has a chance in 2012, she is delusional. If republicans would nominate her, we might as well save the money and let Obama be president for eight years.

Do not be so sure. Obama has to prove himself worthy, first. If he doesn't make good on his promises, a strong Republican like Palin or *shudders* Huckabee could easily oust him in 2012.

That is not logical at all.. considering the political landscape in 2012 can be much different than what it is right now...

Clearly McCain doesn't give one fuck about the political "landscape" otherwise he wouldn't have pushed his campaign so far to the right the way he did. Republicans run the same type of people every election. I don't see them reinventing themselves, especially not if their current attitude holds for the next four years. Palin would be the obvious choice of the extreme right and McCain thought her good enough this year so why not four years from now too? Her public profile will only get bigger and clearly she's the darling of the party.

Clearly McCain doesn't give one fuck about the political "landscape" otherwise he wouldn't have pushed his campaign so far to the right the way he did. Republicans run the same type of people every election. I don't see them reinventing themselves, especially not if their current attitude holds for the next four years. Palin would be the obvious choice of the extreme right and McCain thought her good enough this year so why not four years from now too? Her public profile will only get bigger and clearly she's the darling of the party.

McCain didn't necessarily think she was "good enough," necessarily. He just thought she would keep the religious right from staying home. Kennedy hated Johnson. Reagan didn't care much for Bush, Sr. So much of it is strategy.

Do not be so sure. Obama has to prove himself worthy, first. If he doesn't make good on his promises, a strong Republican like Palin or *shudders* Huckabee could easily oust him in 2012.

He proved himself not worthy way before he was elected!

Nothing new here either...

McCain needed Palin to attract the American vote...

One thing is new however... I will never again support McCain for any office, anywhere and will send financial support to who ever is runing against that scumbag... if for nothing else than general principle.

I'd love to see your proof that you donated to whoever the liberal is that runs against him.

But for shits and giggles, could I ask why you've come to this decision?

Why is this even a story?

It isn't. The media still trying to play off sensationalizing the name. Do you consider asking someone who they will support as President in 2012 a legitimate question in Dec 08? I don't. No one's going to bite on that. IMO, McCain gave them more of an answer than they deserved.

It's a story because she's trying to maneuver position for 2012 already. And if he thought she was the best person to be his VP, one would think he'd consider her the best presidential candidate too.

Personally, I think it's just an interesting footnote.

He didn't say he would not support her. McCain like any politician is keeping his options open. Sarah Palin is a polar opposite to McCain. She is the female version of Ronald Reagan, where I consider McCain to be more of a moderate democrat than a republican anyway.

Hopefully, McCain does not try another run--ha. ha.

I say let Palin run in 2012. That is a sure reelection for Obama. Palin is nothing but a plastic smile spouting canned phrases like a robot. There is little substance there.

Last edited:
He was the first GOPer in decades to lose VA, NC, and IN, and ran an awful, indecisive, unfocused campaign. The Palin selection was the only noteworthy event of his useless, forgetful candidacy. So who really cares what McCain thinks?

I wonder if the Repugs will remember their "Hussein" comments if Piyush Jindal decides to run.

Well, he is a Catholic (but a convert)! Either way Hindus are not seen in the same light as Muslims! Hindus are seen as allies who have the same problems with Islmofacists as we do! So your argument is moot!

Forum List

Back