Marine Retirement Remarks-A Warning

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Considering what we are asking the military to do, some people in high office should see this:

http://www.sftt.org/cgi-bin/csNews/...and=viewone&op=t&id=570&rnd=917.7916300757989

Excerpts:

2. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    I can only add that the lower ranking guys and gals are well aware of the problems and issues yet choose to serve anyway. I am often amazed that the good citizens of this country tend to idolize sports figures, actors and politicians but denigrate the very people who defend their very freedom.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I agree, which is why I hope that some start to get it. His point made was that these volunteers are not the same as even 10 years ago, they are educated and informed and disciplined. They chose to serve and do so without the lip of previous, but with more knowledge of the stupidity behind assinine orders. Too many then just as deliberately, choose not to re-up which will be dangerous down the line.

We have to increase the benefits and care given to those who choose to serve.

4. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    and here I was getting slammed for not knowing what goes on in the military, go figure. :poke: :wtf: :rolleyes:

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Not by me! :teeth:

6. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    I think dude's comments are largely bullshit.

:)

7. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    certainly not you. :cof:

8. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Alrighty then, Y'all have often heard me thump my chest over my time in the Corps. So I am not gonna do that here. I had a blast. Yeah, until Krulak came along our personal gear was old, but we were still able to make do better than the Army. Our pay was low, but hell, we were not there to get rich. And we were insubordinate pigs (according to my first Platoon Sergeant) that was lucky he tolerated us. If his speech summarized the full scope of the Col's service then I pity him. I remember freezing in Korea, mired in mud in the PI and Oki. I also remember hating Hawaii as cold and wet (but not at waikiki) and bug infested. I learned that any weather you can come in from is OK. BTW, Military Medicine came a huge distance in a short time. Prior to 1986 it sucked. After 1986 my family was treated better than we now get from the civilians.

The single biggest truth that I think came out of the Col's speech was

"It was not much fun to watch the downsizing of the services after Desert Storm as we handed out pink slips to men who risked their lives just weeks before. It has not been much fun to watch mid-grade officers and senior Staff NCOs, after living frugal lives and investing money where they could, realize that they cannot afford to send their sons and daughters to college."

I am one of those Senior Staff NCO's (top 3% of the whole bloody Corps) who cannot afford to send my kids to college. On paper, the money we got paid actually looks good. Hell I was clearing 4K a month at retirement. But I was in So Ca so the cost of living ate it up. Then, there is the deployements where one check now covers two locations. No doubt about it, the pay and allowances over time got better, but there is still work to do.

-dos pennies

9. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

Frankly - side note - I don't feel responsible to pay for my kids' college...they can get all the money for college they need from their uncle; Uncle Sam.

:D

But Damn - clearing $4k a month? was that including Housing and/or Ration allowances? You musta been E8 over 20-22yrs? E9 at 20 years makes that...Way to go!

As an E5, my annual salary (base pay) was about $24K a year. Of course, FREE housing/utilities/Medical/etc augmented that a great deal.

10. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    =