Many convicted felons remain on voter rolls in Florida

Blacks are Dems at a higher rate and blacks are convicted at a higher rate.

And if you have money like more Repubs, you get off for the crime.

LOL...Do you have proof of this? (Republicans buy their way out more than Democrats)

I agree that if someone has served their time under the law and is released back into society, they should have the right to vote. I didn't realize that each state had the right to treat this issue differently, that doesn't seem right either.

Good post.

i don't think it is right, especially in national elections.... if they stopped them within their state elections, maybe i wouldn't be so upset...nevermind...well, i probably would be for that too!

But in 13 states, cumbersome application processes, waiting periods and other requirements mean that people with a felony conviction are barred from the voting booth well beyond the end of their sentences. Alabama, Florida, Virginia and Kentucky have lifetime bans on felons voting.

In the most restrictive states, an 18-year-old convicted of burglary could be permanently barred from the political process. A college student with a felony marijuana possession conviction would forever lose the right to vote.

Last edited:
personally, i don't think it is right and just, that states like florida and texas have it where felons WHO HAVE SERVED THEIR TIME ALREADY for their crimes, can not vote.

It seems like this is a disenfranchisement...meaning in some states felons can vote and in other states they can not? how is that equal rights?

i understand that states control their elections but it still does not seem fair that some states can prevent people to vote that would be eligible to vote, in one state over, fro president.

Just FYI, read the constitution and you will see what rights are granted... Anything not covered in the constitution goes to the states... at least for now anyway...

personally, i don't think it is right and just, that states like florida and texas have it where felons WHO HAVE SERVED THEIR TIME ALREADY for their crimes, can not vote.

It seems like this is a disenfranchisement...meaning in some states felons can vote and in other states they can not? how is that equal rights?

i understand that states control their elections but it still does not seem fair that some states can prevent people to vote that would be eligible to vote, in one state over, fro president.

It is utter bullshit that ex con's can't vote. Can't own guns? Fine, but not vote? This is for sure racism.

Just FYI, read the constitution and you will see what rights are granted... Anything not covered in the constitution goes to the states... at least for now anyway...
i know you're right on ths kman....i just don't like it, doesn't seem just, in a national/general election...if i move back home to florida some day, i will be certain to push the state gvt for change, on this issue! ;)

care

i know you're right on ths kman....i just don't like it, doesn't seem just, in a national/general election...if i move back home to florida some day, i will be certain to push the state gvt for change, on this issue! ;)

care

I agree with you somewhat... For me personally I think it depends on the crime... If you rape a child, to me you have no right to vote in this country.

Forum List

Back