Mandatory volunteering at school?

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
If parent participation in classrooms is good, why not make it mandatory?

That's the thinking of some in San Jose's Alum Rock Union School District, where a committee is crafting a proposal to require families of all 13,000 students to volunteer at least 30 hours a year at school.

It's a tall order. The disparity in parent volunteers is as wide as the economic rift in the valley, as schools serving affluent families depend on moms and dads to drive on field trips and help with science projects, while schools teaching poor children often lack such involvement.

In Alum Rock, where 88 percent of the students are poor and 54 percent are language-learners, most of its 28 schools don't even have a PTA. But even as some critics warn working parents don't have extra time, trustee Gustavo Gonzalez is pushing volunteerism, citing studies showing that students do better when their parents are involved.

"We're trying to create a culture of strong parent-guardian-family participation in schools," he said.

Although it's not clear whether state law permits districts to require parents to donate time to schools, proponents say that's besides the point. In addition to getting parents to embrace the expectation that they participate on campus, the district wants to persuade principals and teachers to welcome parents in the classroom, Gonzalez said.

Not everyone agrees that mandating volunteerism will work.

Regardless of income or background, students with involved parents are more likely to earn higher grades and test scores, be promoted, attend school regularly, have better social skills and graduate, according to a study by the Texas-based Southwest Educational Development Laboratory.

The school is looking into ways for other parents or community members to "adopt" students whose families face hardships in participating, she said.

School district may make volunteering mandatory - San Jose Mercury News

Good idea? I don't think I could give 30 hours. I have always participated in PTA and fundraisers, etc., but haven't volunteered in the classroom since my son was in Kindergarten. What say you?

Well ... if it becomes mandatory it ceases to be voluntary. By what authority does the school district make and enforce this mandate? I would think that parents would eventually become resentful. They should come up with a more appealing method of urging parents to get more involved.

My understanding was in the Russian system the parents were obliged to help out 1 night per month with basic janitorial stuff.

I don't care if it is voluntary. Parents should be involved in the school, if nothing else to see what a menace their little darling is.

Well ... if it becomes mandatory it ceases to be voluntary. By what authority does the school district make and enforce this mandate? I would think that parents would eventually become resentful. They should come up with a more appealing method of urging parents to get more involved.

why would you become resentful? Your kid gets a free education. Your participation just helps your kid do better and they love having their parents involved.

It's a new concept, but that doesn't make it a bad idea. I think most people would tell you that the more involved parents are, the more successful kids are. And 30 hours a year is a big 3 hours a month. Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems like a win-win.

Last edited:
I know a lot of private schools do this, I don't think they HAVE to do it, but it's highly suggested. Of course the more wealthy parents could just write a check for a new computer lab instead, so they wouldn't have to interrupt their day by spending it at their child's school.

Mandatory Volunteering, not a good idea, because many parents would complain:

"How can I get off work so much to help out at my child's school?"

"Why are they making me do this? I pay my taxes damn it!"

"I just don't have the TIME!"

It's a great idea though, to be involved in your child's education. If more parents were, we would see a hell of a lot more improvement in schools.

I agree but some of the charter schools I've checked out require less than 30 hours and included conferences and evening activities. 30 hours would be at least five full school days. That's a lot.

And yes I know "mandatory volunteerism" is an oxymoron.

I've known teachers who give no homework coupons to kids whose parents show up for conferences. It would probably be frowned upon if my boss (I mean their boss) found out about it. Lol

Wouldn't this also present a security problem? Some parents shouldn't be allowed around their own kids, let alone strangers.

And even that works both ways. I'd feel bad for the parents who has to deal with false accusations and misunderstandings that could lead to damaged reputations and legal troubles.

And what are they gonna do? Pass out crayons?

No. Let the parents stick to helping with homework.

why would you become resentful? Your kid gets a free education. Your participation just helps your kid do better and they love having their parents involved.

It's a new concept, but that doesn't make it a bad idea. I think most people would tell you that the more involved parents are, the more successful kids are. And 30 hours a year is a big 3 hours a month. Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems like a win-win.

There is nothing "free" about a free education.

While I agree that parental involvement in their child's school is a good thing, something to be encouraged, to make it mandatory requires a check. Mandatory is no longer volunteering. Furthermore, would that thirty hours be per child? Total? Per school?

No, I don't see it. Where does a school district get such power?

Forced "labor" is often resented. And Echo Zulu, Chanel and LuckyDan all have valid reasons to not force parents. Since when is education free? Taxpayers (with or without children) pay out the ass to fund the school systems - and even then teachers have to dip into their own pockets to purchase teaching aids, supplies, in some cases food, and anything else they think they may need to do their job or that they feel their students need. The schools' budgets are already over-burdened.

If they want parental involvement (and parents should be involved) the school systems need to stop teaching subjects that are best left to the parents' discretion. And parental interaction should be a pleasant, optimistic experience - not a forced drudgery.

That's the thinking of some in San Jose's Alum Rock Union School District, where a committee is crafting a proposal to require families of all 13,000 students to volunteer at least 30 hours a year at school.

It's a tall order. The disparity in parent volunteers is as wide as the economic rift in the valley, as schools serving affluent families depend on moms and dads to drive on field trips and help with science projects, while schools teaching poor children often lack such involvement.

In Alum Rock, where 88 percent of the students are poor and 54 percent are language-learners, most of its 28 schools don't even have a PTA. But even as some critics warn working parents don't have extra time, trustee Gustavo Gonzalez is pushing volunteerism, citing studies showing that students do better when their parents are involved.

"We're trying to create a culture of strong parent-guardian-family participation in schools," he said.

Although it's not clear whether state law permits districts to require parents to donate time to schools, proponents say that's besides the point. In addition to getting parents to embrace the expectation that they participate on campus, the district wants to persuade principals and teachers to welcome parents in the classroom, Gonzalez said.

Regardless of income or background, students with involved parents are more likely to earn higher grades and test scores, be promoted, attend school regularly, have better social skills and graduate, according to a study by the Texas-based Southwest Educational Development Laboratory.

The school is looking into ways for other parents or community members to "adopt" students whose families face hardships in participating, she said.

Good idea? I don't think I could give 30 hours. I have always participated in PTA and fundraisers, etc., but haven't volunteered in the classroom since my son was in Kindergarten. What say you?

No, to mandatory obligations by parents. The reasons listed by Granny, LuckyDan and Echo, supported as well by Dude, are valid. I have volunteered in schools [nurse] and hospitals and Big Brothers/Big Sisters and art associations, and because I wanted to help. That is the reason I was successful. I wasn't forced to participate. I loved every minute of it. And still do. :)

It amazes me that liberals oppose the draft, but have no problem forcing people to do community service or "volunteer" at school. If they really want to encourage parents to participate, why not offer a tax credit to parents who volunteer. This would offer an incentive to parents who want to get lower taxes, and would not turn something that is supposed to be voluntary, and possibly fun, into a mandatory activity, and thus promoting resentment. Making it mandatory is not going to cause parents to care more, it is just going to make some of them show up. If they don't want to be there they are just going to go through the motions.

Forced "labor" is often resented. And Echo Zulu, Chanel and LuckyDan all have valid reasons to not force parents. Since when is education free? Taxpayers (with or without children) pay out the ass to fund the school systems - and even then teachers have to dip into their own pockets to purchase teaching aids, supplies, in some cases food, and anything else they think they may need to do their job or that they feel their students need. The schools' budgets are already over-burdened.

If they want parental involvement (and parents should be involved) the school systems need to stop teaching subjects that are best left to the parents' discretion. And parental interaction should be a pleasant, optimistic experience - not a forced drudgery.

Excellent! And let's give some encouragement. Since extracurricular activity is not a right but a privilege for students, tie parental awareness and involvement to their children's participation in sports, band, etc. Watch the parents get involved!

It amazes me that liberals oppose the draft, but have no problem forcing people to do community service or "volunteer" at school. If they really want to encourage parents to participate, why not offer a tax credit to parents who volunteer. This would offer an incentive to parents who want to get lower taxes, and would not turn something that is supposed to be voluntary, and possibly fun, into a mandatory activity, and thus promoting resentment. Making it mandatory is not going to cause parents to care more, it is just going to make some of them show up. If they don't want to be there they are just going to go through the motions.

Where in this article is it stated it's mandated by "Liberals?" Please show us all.

And for the record, since you're a n00b and all, I'm considered a "liberal" by most of the people on here. Go read my post, and quit making snap judgements if you want to be taken seriously.

How can volunteering be mandated?

That's an oxymoron.

Seems like a win-win.

Free education? :lol:

Slave Labor... Sounds like one of Obama's teaching moments.

No hack shitsack logic here:cuckoo: Is there anything that you can't blame Obama for? I bet you blame the prez when you can't get your little dick up and your partner laughs at you....and makes you cry.... what a sad fuckwit ...

:lol: You're such a pathetic loser that you don't even know how stupid you truly are. I am so glad I don't have to work with low-IQ losers like yourself. I wish America could trade you for 100 Mexicans, but I'm sure Mexico wouldn't have you.

30 hours a year isn't much. I have no problems with it, I do think, conversely, that the teachers should be required to attend all PTA meetings voluntarily. <yeah, I know that's an oxymoron but so is requiring parents to "volunteer">

Forum List

Back