Ethnic Studies Outlawed in AZ

Discussion in 'Education' started by William Joyce, May 12, 2010.

1. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Arizona Governor bans ethnic studies program

Brewer approved a bill late Tuesday, promoted by the state's schools boss, Tom Horne, who has said that the program run by the Tucson school district promotes a "destructive ethnic chauvinism."

Tucson school officials have insisted the program only aims to provide students with courses about the role of minorities in historical events such as the Vietnam war or literature courses featuring Latino authors.

The bill signed by Brewer on Tuesday prohibits any classes which promote the overthrow of the United States government, promote resentment toward a race or class of people, or are tailored for pupils from a particular racial group.

Interesting.

Of course, if minority studies are allowed, then so are WHITE studies, right?

The left wants to have it both ways: ethnocentric is fine for blacks and Hispanics, but bad when whites do it. This bill at least denies them that.

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  2. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,162
    Whites are denied 'white studies'? I didn't know until now. I always thought school was race/ethnicity neutral. Just because we studied presidents, industrialists, explorers, inventors, authors and such and they were all white, that's just the way it was. I remember some black guy invented the cotton gin, or maybe sloe gin, I really don't recall, but we did learn about that black guy.
    It's not as if non whites actually did anything (well other than felonies), right?

3. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    If you seriously thought public schools are "race/ethnicity neutral", that's only because your head is demonstrably up your sphincter. And the fact that you didn't actually LEARN anything in school doesn't mean it wasn't taught. It just means . . . well, refer back to the whole "head/sphincter" paradigm.

4. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,162
    lol, you take your ideology and yourself way to seriously. I suggest you try a little sloe gin and soda and read my post again. Or not, and enjoy your self righteous arrogance.
    Of course I believe ethnic studies serve a purpose, and this new movement creates more hate and fear, but that's the intent, isn't it?

5. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Sounds like they are trying to eliminate "hate and fear".

FOXNews.com - Arizona Legislature Passes Bill to Curb 'Chauvanism' in Ethnic Studies Programs

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,098
    hmmm...

so you can't teach what we did to the american indians because it could bring resentment against the US white folk?

you can't teach about slavery cuz that could bring resentment against the US white folk??

i guess i have not had enough coffee.....

seems like pansy ass censoring to me....

7. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Native American studies are still permitted and I'm fairly certain the slavery issue is covered in U.S. History. Just a hunch. :eusa_whistle:

8. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,098
    couldn't those 2 subjects fall in to this ''being sensitive stuff''...this ''promote resentment of a particular race'' in the clip of the article you posted? Teaching truth about slavery could bring resentment towards whites....teaching truth on our treatment of American indians, could promote resentment towards whites....

or is it all fluff being taught in school on those subjects?

Let me start again....

What is it that they are concerned with, regarding...''promotes resentment of a particular race'' not being permitted to be taught....? example pretty please and i promise to chug some coffee right now, as well....

9. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,806
    U.S. History is the study of an ethnic group - Americans.

That now seems to be illegal in Arizona.

10. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,806
    What about teaching that women once weren't allowed to vote...doesn't that also promote hatred against both a race and a gender?