Manchin wants to raise age to 21 for gun purchases, doesn't see need for AR-15s

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia voiced his support Monday for raising the age to 21 for purchasing semi-automatic weapons and questioned why individuals need to own high-powered AR-15-style weapons, putting him at odds with Republicans who are resisting imposing any restrictions on access to firearms.
"I never thought I had a need for that type of a high-capacity automatic weapon," Manchin told CNN on Monday. "I like to shoot, I like to go out and hunt. I like to go out sports shooting. I do all of that. But I've never felt I needed something of that magnitude."
Manchin also said he "wouldn't have a problem on looking at" backing a ban on so-called assault weapons -- a proposal pushed by the White House and Democratic leaders, but that stands no chance of winning the needed 60-votes in the Senate.

"It depends on what they, how they would approach it," Manchin said. "I'm open to anything that makes gun sense."

The comments from the Senate's most conservative Democrat -- who hails from a state with a strong gun culture -- show growing Democratic support for imposing tough new gun laws as senators try to see whether there can be any compromise with Republicans to deal with episodes of gun violence ravaging communities nationwide. The position underscores how the two sides still have a number of major disagreements to resolve as they race to cut a deal this week amid public outcry over mass shootings nationwide.

Manchin is part of a small bipartisan group of Senate negotiators trying to finalize a deal on guns. The negotiators are not discussing some of President Joe Biden's demands such as renewing the expired assault weapons ban, but they are looking at a handful of changes, including incentivizing states to enact red flag laws, which allow guns to be temporarily taken away from individuals deemed a danger to themselves or others, expand background checks on gun purchases, bolster the mental health care system and beef up school security. There is also discussion about new regulations on gun trafficking between states and potential new legislation on storing weapons safely at gun owners' residences.

Given that there is a AR behind every blade of grass in WV it looks like he's giving himself a out.

Well then, all they need is 10 more and then the Supreme Court to go along.

(the guns were stored safely at Adam Lanza's home)

Link?

Not being a smart ass, I'd just like to see what is going on with it.
Saw this last night and then heard it again from three news outlets this morning.

The deal on guns is you obey the Constitution or shut the Hell up! Don't ya just hate reading how some yahoo leaves his firearm laying around and a young child finds it and never taught about firearms in a country of 400 million of them, far more than cars, by their Libtard shit for brains parents leaving you with the answer why they are shit for brains.

If someone wants to get guns they will. The legal age to purchase alcohol is 21. It doesn't stop those under that age from getting alcohol. At most maybe 100 a year at most are killed from AR fire vs. thousands from handguns.

Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia voiced his support Monday for raising the age to 21 for purchasing semi-automatic weapons and questioned why individuals need to own high-powered AR-15-style weapons, putting him at odds with Republicans who are resisting imposing any restrictions on access to firearms.
"I never thought I had a need for that type of a high-capacity automatic weapon," Manchin told CNN on Monday. "I like to shoot, I like to go out and hunt. I like to go out sports shooting. I do all of that. But I've never felt I needed something of that magnitude."
Manchin also said he "wouldn't have a problem on looking at" backing a ban on so-called assault weapons -- a proposal pushed by the White House and Democratic leaders, but that stands no chance of winning the needed 60-votes in the Senate.

"It depends on what they, how they would approach it," Manchin said. "I'm open to anything that makes gun sense."

The comments from the Senate's most conservative Democrat -- who hails from a state with a strong gun culture -- show growing Democratic support for imposing tough new gun laws as senators try to see whether there can be any compromise with Republicans to deal with episodes of gun violence ravaging communities nationwide. The position underscores how the two sides still have a number of major disagreements to resolve as they race to cut a deal this week amid public outcry over mass shootings nationwide.

Manchin is part of a small bipartisan group of Senate negotiators trying to finalize a deal on guns. The negotiators are not discussing some of President Joe Biden's demands such as renewing the expired assault weapons ban, but they are looking at a handful of changes, including incentivizing states to enact red flag laws, which allow guns to be temporarily taken away from individuals deemed a danger to themselves or others, expand background checks on gun purchases, bolster the mental health care system and beef up school security. There is also discussion about new regulations on gun trafficking between states and potential new legislation on storing weapons safely at gun owners' residences.

Given that there is a AR behind every blade of grass in WV it looks like he's giving himself a out.
Disappointed Manchin doesn't understand an AR is not an automatic weapon.

Actually, I agree with him. He's not a loony Democrat, he's actually sane.

You have to remember that Joe Manchin over the years has been a Democrat voting Senator for a long while.

Meh, there isn't any more reason to stop honest law abiding private citizens from buying military knockoffs than there is for stopping them from getting driver's licenses. IF they were really serious about decreasing gun crimes they would just ignore all the commies and criminals whining about 'racism n stuff' and have the police and FBI focus on where the real culprits lie instead of sending out all the dog whistles about Disarming Whitey, which is what they really mean when they say 'gun control'..

That would be up to congress and the military. I am sure Manchin was referring to civilians. By your implied logic, civilians would also be allowed to possess nuclear arsenals.

The 2A fanatics don't have any more of a sense of scale than their fellow alkies and dopers on the left do. They're crazy and should be on the do not sell list themselves. Quite a few people really are bad shots and need more rounds in self-defense cases.

And yeah, I don't need Goober up the street playing around with his surplus Russian nuclear warhead in his garage on Saturdays, nor his practicing with his 120 mm mortar or racing around in the streets in his surplus Abrams playing 'PAtton'.

Last edited:
What about all the rifles that do the same thing an ar15 does but are called something else?

I’d like to see AR 15s treated the same as handguns

You have to be 21, get a permit, training and background check.

Also limit magazine size nationwide to 15 rounds

That would be up to congress and the military. I am sure Manchin was referring to civilians. By your implied logic, civilians would also be allowed to possess nuclear arsenals.
And why not? Law abiding citizens wouldnt use them unless a rogue nation went ballistic on US? Shouldnt we have the same privileges as those in Congress, who are protected by big guys who carry fully automatic weapons? Are they any better then you and me? I think not, for they are much more stupid, which is why they "think" they are better than me.

What about all the rifles that do the same thing an ar15 does but are called something else?
19122.jpg Ruger-10-22-11198.jpg

Which one of these is an AR-15?

when-seconds-count-the-police-are-only-minutes-away-n.jpg

Forum List

Back