Mall Killing and Other Mass Killings

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    as justification for 'it's all about guns'...

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=161637

2. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    its all about narcoleptic and psychotropic drugs without exception all the school shootings and this latest, rampage the mothers that kill their children ,abandon there infants to perish .every single time they are on anti depressants. Ritalin. its not like they don't admit it in all there fine print warnings but it is pretty useless to expect someone who has gone psychotic or suicidal to consult there physition................. even timothy Mcvae began taking antidepressants in the months prior to the bombing

3. bush lover

bush lover Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30
    A few thousand killings a year with guns is the price we have to pay for our Second Amendment rights. No way around it. The liberal anti-gun freaks have to gete used to it.

4. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Good source Kathianne, thanks for the link, duly bookmarked.

5. Psychoblues

Psychoblues Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Likewise, doc.

We'll see how this turns out.

6. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    I'll read Lott's papers, I have to admit the statistical analysis is way over my head, but I'll read them.

7. Abelian Sea

Abelian Sea o_O

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +177
    That makes sense. Someone stupidcrazy enough to do something like that isn't going to be disuaded by the possible consequences, so the only laws that would hinder them would be ones that prevent them from (easily) obtaining and transporting the means.

Of course the thing to note here is that it's the only policy factor they found influencial. I doubt that policy is anywhere near the biggest factor in these events.

That sounds more influencial on these guys than gun laws, but I very much doubt it's "all about" the drugs. I think the root cause is far more personal.

8. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,109
    I printed this paper out and have started to read the study and must say that so far it is fascinating.

So far, it seems to indicate that states without "shall issue laws" account for the "overwhelming majority of deaths and injuries" multpile victim public shootings. In other words, if the ability to carry a concealed weapon is denied, there is a better chance of being injured or killed when a shooting like the recent Omaha incident.

I'm sure that I will be commenting on this study more after finish reading (or perhaps as I read).

9. ReillyT

ReillyT Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +164
    That does make sense. The ability of others to carry concealed weapons could be a deterrent to this kind of atrocity. I can't see how the presence of concealed weapons could possibly make this kind of happenstance more likely.

I question what kind of study could be conducted with so few (relatively) instances of this kind of behaviour in a country where relatively few states allow carrying concealed weapons. Anyway, since I probably won't read it, if you could say a little something about sample sizes and what the article says about it, I would appreciate it.

Since most of these acts seem to end in suicide, I am surprised that the studies show that concealed weapons laws act as a deterrent (if the study does indicate that), but I have been surprised before.

10. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,109
    The paper was twenty pages of explanation, results, and conclusion with twenty six or so pages of mind numbing statistical tables which I would not be able to begin to explain.

The conclusion, which I find hard if not impossible to disagree with, essentially says that, even though the perpetrators of such crimes intend to die, the idea that they may not get to inflict as much carnage as they hope due to citizens with concealed weapons, makes some, not all, decide not to carry out their plans. It also says that when the mass public shootings do occur in shall issue states, the number of victims is significantly reduced.

The study is eight years old but I can't imagine the the conclusions have changed since it's initial relase.

I will say that carry laws are a factor I consider when looking at places I want to live. In the next two or three years I hope to be out of California and my intention is to live somewhere with more liberal gun laws.