Major TV Networks Sue to Use the 'F-Word' - Act Now

I have never seen a bad television program, because I refuse to. God gave me a mind, and a wrist that turns things off. ~Jack Paar

dilloduck said:
How about "fuck"------do you allow your kid to say "fuck"?

No. And he's been taught well enough to know that certain words are for "adults" and they're not for repetition, regardless of what he hears other kids doing.

Either way, I don't want government making my parenting decisions.

That said, I don't see any reason for that kind of language on TV, but like I said..... it isn't government's place to interject.

And thing is, I've always wondered why some people have more problems with a word... or a bare breast... than they do violence on TV. Personally, violence troubles me much more. Just my opinion.

jillian said:
No. And he's been taught well enough to know that certain words are for "adults" and they're not for repetition, regardless of what he hears other kids doing.

That said, I don't see any reason for that kind of language on TV, but like I said..... it isn't government's place to interject.

And thing is, I've always wondered why some people have more problems with a word... or a bare breast... than they do violence on TV. Personally, violence troubles me much more. Just my opinion.

Why cant he say "fuck"---they all say it on TV !! And they all say it at school? Why should he have to listen to you and your prudish uptight morals?

That’s it! Less violence and vulgarity on TV - in exchange for more tits! :boobies:

jillian said:

Can you name some of the more violent TV shows?

dilloduck said:
Why cant he say "fuck"---they all say it on TV !! And they all say it at school? Why should he have to listen to you and your prudish uptight morals?

Because he knows how stupid kids sound when they talk like that. And he thinks enough of himself (based on what we've taught him) to not care what "they all say". Same as he thinks about people with face piercings... He's learned that isn't what he would want to project.... Same as with getting drunk -- he knows that people look stupid when they're out of control. It's my job to raise him and instill values, not government's.

Now why should I trust some government bureaucrat more than I trust myself? And that's really the issue... not what my son is or isn't allowed to say.

jillian said:
Because he knows how stupid kids sound when they talk like that. And he thinks enough of himself (based on what we've taught him) to not care what "they all say". Same as he thinks about people with face piercings... He's learned that isn't what he would want to project.... Same as with getting drunk -- he knows that people look stupid when they're out of control. It's my job to raise him and instill values, not government's.

Now why should I trust some government bureaucrat more than I trust myself? And that's really the issue... not what my son is or isn't allowed to say.

Kids are stupid because they say fuck??----thats imposing your moral values on someone elses kid !!! Where is your tolerance??

dilloduck said:
Kids are stupid because they say fuck??----thats imposing your moral values on someone elses kid !!! Where is your tolerance??

lol...very cute. I said they "sound" stupid and I tell my son that one resorts to that type of language when they can't articulate their thoughts.

(He'll find out the joys of a good cuss when he's older). :beer:

But again...why should I trust some government jerk to make decisions for me?

jillian said:
lol...very cute. I said they "sound" stupid and I tell my son that one resorts to that type of language when they can't articulate their thoughts.

(He'll find out the joys of a good cuss when he's older). :beer:

But again...why should I trust some government jerk to make decisions for me?

It would be appropriate to have such words after a certain time...say 9pm...I concur, it is not up to the nanny state to teach kids right from wrong. My youngest son just started at a Baptist daycare. Been there two days. His new saying? I'm gonna kick you in the ask (no, that ain't a typo)...His teachers explained there are a couple fo disruptive influences in the class...heh...

-Cp said:
We feel better about saying things like "Why should the Government control what's on TV" rather than say "We won't tolerate this sort of trash"

I think we are saying both.

Dr Grump said:
It would be appropriate to have such words after a certain time...say 9pm...I concur, it is not up to the nanny state to teach kids right from wrong. My youngest son just started at a Baptist daycare. Been there two days. His new saying? I'm gonna kick you in the ask (no, that ain't a typo)...His teachers explained there are a couple fo disruptive influences in the class...heh...

I don't have a problem with "adult" language being limited to after kids go to sleep. That isn't the same as adults being told what they are limited to.

Funny story about the kid. Gotta love it!

Kids rock! :happy2:

Dr Grump said:
NOT Southern Baptist I hope!? He'll be dancin an drinkin before he's in first grade! But preachin against it, of course. :D

jillian said:
That's an awful lot of surmise for one post..... how about I teach my son what's appropriate. I teach him right from wrong. I have things that I find offensive on TV which might have nothing to do with the use of one particular word. And I turn off the TV when something is valueless. I don't want any jerk in government making those decisions for me.

So you can surmise all you want. It's up to you to teach your kids right from wrong.

Jillian, I think you need to read more carefully, or perhaps look up the word "surmise". I was not conjecturing on what you would or would not do. I asked you a series of questions based on everyday situations that we parents are faced with. Had I been surmising, I would have said something like, "No doubt, you will probably follow your kids to their friends' houses."
All questions to which your only answer was, essentially, "I will tell my son what is right and wrong". Good luck in that regard. ;)

The argument used to be that it is only on cable, and you don't have to subscribe if you don't want to see it. As is often the case in the downward slope of cultural standards, that meager defense is now deemed irrelevant, and the distinction between paid cable and free networks, all but forgotten.

Primarily, though, I was trying to help you to think it all the way through. Unless you are rasing little anti-social hermits, you cannot always control what your children see on TV. Whatever is on the air waves is going to reach little ears and eyes.

If you are okay with that, that's your prerogative I guess. We also have ours. Many of us wish for higher standards for and better influences on our children, and find this devil may care (pun intended) attitude quite sad and disheartening.

dilloduck said:
How about "fuck"------do you allow your kid to say "fuck"?

how about..cocksucker? motherfucker? shit? piss? tits? ******? chink? dago? wop? sand ******? beener? dick smoker? ****? ass bandit? carpet muncher? they are all just words i mean you can turn off the tv right.........

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh fuck it

manu1959 said:
how about..cocksucker? motherfucker? shit? piss? tits? ******? chink? dago? wop? sand ******? beener? dick smoker? ****? ass bandit? carpet muncher? they are all just words i mean you can turn off the tv right.........

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh fuck it
WOW! You have quite a repertoire! I'm 33 years old, but there are a few in there I've never heard before!

mom4 said:
WOW! You have quite a repertoire! I'm 33 years old, but there are a few in there I've never heard before!
Really? Oh my! :laugh: Just wait until your kids are old enough to ask them what such and such means.

Seriously, for our 'yearbook' the 7th grade does a 'what's hot, what's not'. Problem areas for Catholic School: music, movies, video games. I have the students list and vote, then email the list to my sons. They x off the ones that do not belong in 'print.' :laugh:

theHawk said:
What exactly about them is "public"? Aren't these networks private companies?

A huge misconception. Of course the networks are private, but their access to the airwaves is public. It is one of the biggest cultural travesties of this era the promiscuous and low class way the FCC has given scum access to OUR airwaves.

Take a real accounting for your television time: How much do you spend watching and multiply it by say $15.00 and hour - to see just how much you’ve pissed away of your life.

Now account for your kids television time, for a full year (doing the math - not actually waiting a full year: you have to actually explain this stuff to those from the Yee-Ha states) and see how much time you weren’t instilling your values into your children and letting ‘the blinking eye’ do it for you.

Now go into the other room, turn the fucking thing off and make the kids go outside and play.

:bye1:

Mr. P said:
OFF SWITCH!
It works 100% of the time.​

This would work if parents had ESP and see the "F" word coming.

The FCC simply needs to keep slapping the fines on the networks. TV has actually gotten worse since "Tittygate." Make the fines respectable. Make the networks pay 15% of their marketing profits and see if anyone utters anything remotely vulgar during "family hour."

Just an idea.

Forum List

Back