MA Senate Seat now a statistical tie: Scott brown closes gap by 7 points

There is a rumor that if Brown wins, reid won't sit him until they pass healthcare.

Coakley is desperate BTW, she now says everyone who opposes her is EXTREME RIGHT WING.

It seems buzz words are all she has to hold on too.

reid is toast anyways, he has nothing to lose but the last of his integrity that he may have had. political games

If Brown wins the House can just pass the Senate bill without it having to go to back to the Senate for a revote.

There is a rumor that if Brown wins, reid won't sit him until they pass healthcare.

Coakley is desperate BTW, she now says everyone who opposes her is EXTREME RIGHT WING.

It seems buzz words are all she has to hold on too.

reid is toast anyways, he has nothing to lose but the last of his integrity that he may have had. political games

If Brown wins the House can just pass the Senate bill without it having to go to back to the Senate for a revote.

Well, that's comforting. :lol:

That would be difficult.... as there are many provisions in the senate bill that many democrats in the house regard as deal killers.

That is part of the reason the conference is being held behind closed doors. There are quite a few auctions going on.

I think they will have to come up with some sort of conference report. But getting it past anybody of Brown wins will be a lot more difficult. I honestly don't believe 0bama is sufficiently personally popular that large numbers of concgresscritters will fall on their swords for him.

Even if Brown wins by a very narrow margin, it is still an earthquake that the congresscritters will pay attention to.

And even if they play games with the seating of Brown, do you think the two independents will sit still for that?

If Brown wins, Cap and Trade and 0bamacare are both dead.

MA is usually as fucked-up as CA, but lets hope that they see the bullshit on the wall and vote for sanity for a "change". To Brown's credit he made a race out of it.

Gotta agree. Most of the polls I've seen show it a matter of a few point one way or the other. MA has always voted Dem but the new State Healthcare plan they have is costing the taxpayers big time. That fact may change a few minds.

Reg Dems outnumber Reps 3-1 in that State so the question mark will be with the Indi's and moderates to see how they vote. Should be interesting and I sure hope Brown can pull it off.

Gotta agree. Most of the polls I've seen show it a matter of a few point one way or the other. MA has always voted Dem but the new State Healthcare plan they have is costing the taxpayers big time. That fact may change a few minds.

Reg Dems outnumber Reps 3-1 in that State so the question mark will be with the Indi's and moderates to see how they vote. Should be interesting and I sure hope Brown can pull it off.

Well, health care doesn't seem to be the problem. In fact, she should probably emphasize it more:

But it's not just about turnout. The Rasmussen poll that just came out -- one which shows Coakley's lead shrinking from 9 to 2 points -- also shows Barack Obama with a 57 percent approval rating (versus 41 percent opposed) among likely voters, and the health care bill favored by 52 percent of likely voters (versus 46 percent opposed).

FiveThirtyEight: Politics Done Right

Last edited:
Wow.. that "the terrorists are gone from Afghanistan" comment should help her plenty. I bet the families of the CIA agents that died in Afghanistan are glad to know that.

Rasmussen Report shows close race for Senate seat

Martha Coakley 49%
Scott Brown 47%
Joe Kennedy 3%

myfoxboston.com said:
The numbers show that Democrat Martha Coakley holds just a two-point lead over Republican Scott Brown. Just last week Coakley held a nine-point lead.

Among Independent voters, the bulk of the state's voters, Brown holds a 50 point lead. Brown even gets 18% of Democratic voters.

One issue that appears to be working for Brown is on terrorism. He has been hammering Coakley for wanting to try terror suspects in civilian courts. More than 60% of voters agree that the attempted plane bomber should be tried by the military.

FOX 25 - Rasmussen Reports Conducted January 11, 2010

Did you see what she was doing last night Pilgrim? Meeting at a fund raiser in Washington D.C with big Pharm and the rest of SPECIAL INTERESTES getting big money for her campaign. CHANGE YOU CAN'T BELEIVE IN.

The democrats think that they own that seat out there, continually calling it Kennedy's seat, it's not Kennedy's seat, he was hired by the voters out there to sit in it for his lifetime. It's the people of Massachusett's seat it's not owned by either party or any one politician. WHAT ARROGANCE.:evil:

That terrorism comment clearly shows she is totally out of touch with reality.

I heard a Coakley ad on the radio this morining that convinced me to vote for Brown. I had already decided I wasn't voting for Coakley, but I was considering throwing my vote away to Kennedy. Not anymore. Coakley's ad was so full of misinformation and to top it off, they ended the ad by saying republican Scott Brown, and then repeated it and emphasised the "republican" part as if it was a shameful affliction or something. That was annoying enough to make me vote for Brown.

Can't wait for the whining and crying when Brown loses. probably scream foul, as always.
Even if he wins, the Senate might not seat him until after the .....uc ugh...health care swill is voted upon us...despite the FACT that 64% of the American people don't like the bill.

The triumpherant rules! Obama/Reid/Pelosi doesn't care what you want.

triumpherant, lol.

I heard a Coakley ad on the radio this morining that convinced me to vote for Brown. I had already decided I wasn't voting for Coakley, but I was considering throwing my vote away to Kennedy. Not anymore. Coakley's ad was so full of misinformation and to top it off, they ended the ad by saying republican Scott Brown, and then repeated it and emphasised the "republican" part as if it was a shameful affliction or something. That was annoying enough to make me vote for Brown.

Not to mention the ads where she's deliberately misrepresenting his record and smearing his reputation to the point where his daughters came out to defend him.

Coakley has attacked Brown saying that he is anti-woman as a result.

Brown's daughters, 21-year-old Boston College senior Ayla Brown and 19-year-old Syracuse University freshman Arianna Brown, take issue with the pro-abortion activist who has been endorsed by the Emily's List pro-abortion group for the Senate seat.

"My dad would always stand up for the rights and needs of rape victims, and he’s kind, understanding and he’s a very compassionate father and man," Alya Brown told AP. "Martha Coakely’s new negative ad represents everything that discourages young women from getting involved in politics. And as a young woman, I'm completely offended by that."

Arianna agreed, telling AP, "My dad is a loving man who is a father. He is a husband, he is a soldier and he is a dedicated legislator. He is a man who cares deeply and would do anything for the three woman (in his family) and the other women of this country."

During the final debate between the two candidates, Brown defended his record, saying the proposal would have allowed hospitals with “religious preferences” to not be forced to do something against their beliefs.

Coakley has not responded to Brown's daughters but staged her own press conference together with pro-abortion groups today.
Scott Brown's Daughters Defend Him From Martha Coakley's Abortion Attacks

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZRzsFjykGA[/ame]

Okay, I have to say it this ad here made me laugh, because I seem to recall great hay being made over the " I can see Russia etc etc". While I do believe a lot of this election depends on turnout it does appear that in order to actually make a difference, to keep sending the same people you have sent to Washington for the last 40 some odd years is not a way to accomplish that.

MA is usually as fucked-up as CA, but lets hope that they see the bullshit on the wall and vote for sanity for a "change". To Brown's credit he made a race out of it.

Yes Massachusetts has just over 4 million registered voters and only 1.5 million are registered Democrats. .5 million are Republicans (3-1 as you said) and over 2 million unenrolled or independent voters! This really is going to be very very close IMO.

Well, health care doesn't seem to be the problem. In fact, she should probably emphasize it more:

But it's not just about turnout. The Rasmussen poll that just came out -- one which shows Coakley's lead shrinking from 9 to 2 points -- also shows Barack Obama with a 57 percent approval rating (versus 41 percent opposed) among likely voters, and the health care bill favored by 52 percent of likely voters (versus 46 percent opposed).

FiveThirtyEight: Politics Done Right

Just went to Wikipedia and looked it up. All is not rosy in MA with their enforced healthcare plan. Good reading. Law suits and business going to NH. I don't think I would stress it if I were Coakly.

Can't wait for the whining and crying when Brown loses. probably scream foul, as always.

Can't say I agree. In another thread I called supporting Brown "an excercise in futility". I'm not saying that now.

Brown just may pull it off. Polls are way close and there are 6 days till the election. You know the Dems will send in their big guns for Coakly. It should be very interesting to see if it makes a difference to the voters.

Wow.. that "the terrorists are gone from Afghanistan" comment should help her plenty. I bet the families of the CIA agents that died in Afghanistan are glad to know that.

yep I rolled off the couch! :lol::lol:

yep I rolled off the couch! :lol::lol:

:lol: :lol:

I am going to roll off my couch if he actually wins! :lol:

Right on the heels of news that the Republican contender to replace Ted Kennedy in the Senate, Scott Brown, raised $1.3 million in 14 hours, comes poll results putting the race between him and Democrat Martha Coakley basically at a tie. Rasmussen, which according to Nate Silver has a "house effect" which favors Republican candidates, gave Coakley 49 percent of the vote last night, and Brown at 47, with a three-point margin of error. The Democratic Public Policy poll had similar numbers last week, though the Boston Globe last week put Coakley distinctly in the lead. Coakley herself is confident, claiming internal polling numbers that give her a comfortable margin, but it's obviously too soon to discount the possibility that health care reform could very possibly still be up in the air because of this vote for the next couple of weeks. The election takes place on January 19.

Read more: Rasmussen: Massachusetts Senate Race Neck and Neck -- Daily Intel Rasmussen: Massachusetts Senate Race Neck and Neck -- Daily Intel

Still an very steep uphill battle for Brown, but as ABC reports today, even a narrow loss is a significant victory for Republicans when such a race is taking place in the bluest of states.

2010 is looking very very good for Republicans right now...

___

Not just a win is potentially dangerous for Democrats: “Brown’s threat to health reform is in some ways larger. He’s showing how Republicans can run against reform -- something sure to play out in other high-profile campaigns this fall, such as those of Reps. Frank Kratovil Jr. (D-Md.) and John Adler (D-N.J.), along with Sen. Blanche Lincoln (D-Ark.) and Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.),” Politico’s Chris Frates reports.

“A close race -- within five points, or even ten -- would generate significant panic among Democrats in other races presumed to be safe,” The Atlantic’s Marc Ambinder writes.

No running from health care -- from the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee’s new ad targeting Brown: “On health care? Brown wants to be the deciding vote to kill Ted Kennedy’s legislation.”

“In a fresh sign of increasing nervousness among Democrats about the race, the national party committees on Tuesday chipped in more than $1 million to help boost Coakley’s prospects,” Roll Call’s Emily Cadei reports

http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/2010/01/democrats-scramble-to-hold-kennedy-seat-in-mass.html

Forum List

Back