Looks yummy but -

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
1794548_10152055109977572_683477190_n.jpg

Gorgeous, isn't it?

Where I live, the deer and other wildlife would wipe me out. We do grow a lot of our food, buy a lot from truck gardeners and Mennonites.

It really does make sense to garden for food instead of for ornamental plants.

I prefer to do both since I have LOTS of room. And I would go nuts trying to keep all those pots watered! Just the ones I have on the front porch are enough!

I have a 5+/- acre front yard...16 1/2 acres all together!

I am going to try hydroponics gardening, after I get the new house on the property, which means I will start it in the late summer early fall...

I prefer to do both since I have LOTS of room. And I would go nuts trying to keep all those pots watered! Just the ones I have on the front porch are enough!

How are the varmints there? heavy or light in population?

How are the varmints there? heavy or light in population?

My biggest varmints here are possums that come on my deck & eat the dry cat food....I have 6 outdoor cats. Next would be squirrels burying acorns & pecans everywhere and then the neighbor's dogs that they let run loose at night. :mad:
I used to have a problem with deer, but I figured out a way to deter them. I still see tracks, but they don't stop to nibble in my beds any more.

I take 2 old CDs, shiny sides out, tie them together with #25 test fishing line...add a swivel. Then I tie another set just like the one above below that one...one onto the other and tie them in lower tree branches near my beds. Since they swivel independently and not together, they catch light all the time & flash but there is no rhythm to the flashes so it keeps the deer wary. Mine catch the light from my neighbor's pole lights at night...we don't have a pole light, we have motion activated lights on every corner of our house...that also helps keep some critters away. If you don't have a night time light source where you want to hang the CDs, I've used those walkway solar lights with good results too....cheap ones from walmart.

DH had to re-direct a gopher tortoise yesterday. It was trying to climb onto our front porch. And every spring we can hear the fox pups across the road in the woods.

Forum List

Back