"Living Wage" for Everyone?

For those who support a "living wage" minimum of $15 per hour, how about applying that standard to everyone? We could then do away with other "entitlements" and just guarantee every adult $2500 per month. That would be a lot cheaper than what we are spending now.
I read a book one time where a libertarian actually advocated for that. Like 9k a year for everyone...you spend it how u want etc....I THINK it was called negative income tax or some shit...can't exactly remember.

Somebody's gotta work bub.. it just doesn't work that way. The problem isn't the minimum wage, the problem is people don't the skills to take them past $7/hr. Anyway, it' a myth that there are all these people trying to support families on MW. It just isn't true.

If you can make a logical argument that 'skills' actually take you past the $7.00/hr level. For instance, a company that doesn't have jobs that require an advance education.

How much does an employer pay a worker that makes them all of their money?

Quite a bit. That's why CEO's get millions of dollars in bonuses.

For those who support a "living wage" minimum of $15 per hour, how about applying that standard to everyone? We could then do away with other "entitlements" and just guarantee every adult $2500 per month. That would be a lot cheaper than what we are spending now.

I would be in favor of that, if it is indeed cheaper. I'd want to see the math, though. Then again, it would still have a similar inflationary effect as raising the minimum wage would have, so maybe it's still just replacing one problem with another.

If we raised the minimum wage, millions of people would no longer be eligible for programs like food stamps and public housing.

That's true. But before long, their $15/hr would only possess the same miniscule purchasing power as the old minimum wage. So now they're still broke, they still can't afford their basic needs, but no longer qualify for assistance. Congratulations, you just sentenced millions of people to starvation.

I would be in favor of that, if it is indeed cheaper. I'd want to see the math, though. Then again, it would still have a similar inflationary effect as raising the minimum wage would have, so maybe it's still just replacing one problem with another.

There is only one solution, generation of new wealth and the jobs growth that comes with that. All other solutions lead to financial bankruptcy.

I don't understand what point you are trying to make. If we raised the minimum wage, millions of people would no longer be eligible for programs like food stamps and public housing.

Oh bullshit, they'd just up the threshold.... the dependency class is too important to the DNC.
No one could afford to give up those benefits. In almost every state "welfare dependency" is the highest paying job. This is the problem.
Christ what is it with you in just making shit up?
Thats HILARIOUS coming from the biggest failed poster on this board.
Welfare: A Better Deal than Work

And since you'll just vomit the "rightwing spin media" bullshit I'll ask you to identify precisely what is wrong with their argument.
This article is so fucking stupid and only you would buy into it. Their calculations are based on ALL the welfare programs in a given state. NO ONE ON WELFARE IS ON ALL OR EVEN MOST OF THE WELFARE PROGRAMS SIMULTANEOUSLY.

Obviously they are because I have several similar articles including one with statistics from the US Census Bureau.

I don't understand what point you are trying to make. If we raised the minimum wage, millions of people would no longer be eligible for programs like food stamps and public housing.

Oh bullshit, they'd just up the threshold.... the dependency class is too important to the DNC.
Thats so stupid. Polls show most Americans want a higher minimum wage - not more food stamps spending.

Here's a thought... get out of minimum wage. Anyway, like I said, it's a bullshit issue, here's the breakdown:

• Disproportionately young: 50.4% are ages 16 to 24; 24% are teenagers (ages 16 to 19).
  • Mostly (77%) white; nearly half are white women.
  • Largely part-time workers (64% of the total).
Source:

Who makes minimum wage?
You people always post the typical bullshit. You're only talking about the 3% who make 7.25 per hour. If it was raised to 10.10, 18 million people would see a boost to their wages. Those statistics don't apply to them.

You would also see a decrease in about 500,000 jobs according to a CBO report.

Thats so stupid. Polls show most Americans want a higher minimum wage - not more food stamps spending.

Sure they want higher minimum wage. Did the polls also say what that would mean for them?

When you rob Peter to pay Paul, the Paul's of your society generally have no objection.

Raise minimum wage, and somebody has to pay that wage. The money has to come from somewhere.

It's like the question would you like to see cleaner air and water? Who would say no to that, until you explain all the hidden costs in your electric bill, natural gas bill, gasoline bill, automobile bill and so on. Then when the entire truth comes out, people don't think they need cleaner air and water.

It's not a bad idea depending on where you set the guarantee and what's in the fine print.

Why not? Why not just $150 bucks in food stamps to assure no one goes hungry in America???

It can be as simple as that....or we can have 1,500 buck living wage/month.

I don't really understand the need to remain with work or die.

It would sure weed out the sloths in our society, now wouldn't it?

Years ago people used to create communes. It was a hippy thing where everybody created a society that lived under one roof.

Some people brought in money, food, cleaning material, others brought nothing. They stayed in the commune and watched television.

I don't have to tell you the results of that society. It's why we don't have any communes today.

Why not? Why not just $150 bucks in food stamps to assure no one goes hungry in America???

It can be as simple as that....or we can have 1,500 buck living wage/month.

I don't really understand the need to remain with work or die.

I figured a big science guy like you would strongly believe in survival of the fittest.

"Kentucky clerk is a democrat"

And?

That has no bearing on the fact she's wrong.

Here's a thought... get out of minimum wage. Anyway, like I said, it's a bullshit issue, here's the breakdown:

• Disproportionately young: 50.4% are ages 16 to 24; 24% are teenagers (ages 16 to 19).
  • Mostly (77%) white; nearly half are white women.
  • Largely part-time workers (64% of the total).
Source:

Who makes minimum wage?
You people always post the typical bullshit. You're only talking about the 3% who make 7.25 per hour. If it was raised to 10.10, 18 million people would see a boost to their wages. Those statistics don't apply to them.

You would also see a decrease in about 500,000 jobs according to a CBO report.

He already knows this he don't care about jobs like a typical libtard

There is only one solution, generation of new wealth and the jobs growth that comes with that. All other solutions lead to financial bankruptcy.

How do you figure "generation of new wealth" causes job growth?

Dude WTF are they teaching in public schools :laugh:

Oh, so you're just talking out of your ass. Got it....

Here's some tough love for you, pull your head out of your ass.

Dividing up the existing wealth won't work, there's not enough to go around. If you confiscated all the wealth of the so called 'rich' and divided it up that's like shooting spit wads at the problem they just don't have enough money when spread across 300 million people. Stop drinking the government koolaid talking points about how if we only make the 'rich' pay their fair share that will fix anything. That talking point is designed to fool you into thinking its the rich who are the problem, its not its government.

The only long term solution to bringing our poor out of poverty and growing the middle class to a higher standard of living is generating new wealth via new businesses and more jobs. Sound simple except government is doing all it can to destroy existing jobs and stifle new business and job growth. Via corruption, debt, allowing millions of poor illegals into the country, driving existing jobs out of the country with ridiculous taxes and regulations or stupid trade deals with other countries.

No one could afford to give up those benefits. In almost every state "welfare dependency" is the highest paying job. This is the problem.
The Right depends on making shit up.
As shown here, one of their obsessions is to deny help to the poor. After all they must have a class of folks that they can feel better than.

The Right depends on making shit up.
As shown here, one of their obsessions is to deny help to the poor. After all they must have a class of folks that they can feel better than.

LOL, you think that's it, compared to Democrats who heavily rely on the irresponsible to win elections? That comment is as silly as saying the Democrats want successful wealthy people so they have somebody to blame.

Forum List

Back