wow,

SNIP:

Living the good life

Reported by: Chris Papst

Email: [email protected]

Contributor: Nate Wardle

Published: 2/04 9:34 pm
Updated: 2/05 10:41 pm
We’ve all heard the line that America is becoming an entitlement society or welfare state, with half of U.S. households now receiving some type of government benefit. But a CBS 21 News investigation has taken that stat one step further to show you how much people are actually getting for free.

A few years ago, reporter Chris Papst worked with a single mom who had two children. She turned down a raise because she said the extra money would decrease her government benefits. It was hard to understand why she did that, until Chris started working on this story.

“You do what you have to do as a single mom,” explained Kristina Cogan. “And that’s what I did.”

For Kristina Cogan, a single mom of two, life has been a challenge. Ever since her divorce, she has struggled to simply give her kids what they need.

So five years ago, she walked through the doors of the Department of Public Welfare and applied for welfare.

“What was it like the first time you had to walk into that office?” we asked her.

“It’s scary. You’re depending on other people,” Cogan replied.

“What if that assistance wasn’t there for you?” we continued.

“I don’t know what I would have done, I mean, it’s critical for a lot of people,” Cogan answered.

So critical that Cogan is still collecting. The Lancaster native’s in nursing school and hopes to one day free herself from the system. But she admits living a life off the government can be comfortable.

“If you’re going to get something for free, are you going to work for it?” Cogan explained. “It kind of like sucks you in. They feel like they are hopeless. They feel like they have no alternative.

It’s not hard to see why. For this story, CBS 21 researched what government programs are available to a single mother of two making $19,000 a year. What we found was incredible.

Our family would be eligible for $14,976 in free day care, another $13,400 for Head Start and Early Head Start, $7,148 in housing vouchers, $6,500 for weatherization projects, $400 to pay heating bills, $480 a year for a cell phone, with an extra $230 for a land line, and $182 in free legal advice.

The family would get more than $6,028 in food assistance and another $6,045 in medical assistance. The mother is eligible for $5,500 in Pell Grants for school with an additional $12,000 for the Education Opportunity Grant; SMART Grant; and TEACH Grant.

Our family would also get $6,800 in tax credits, and $1,900 in withholding would be returned.

Add it up and this family can get $81,589 in free assistance.

“This isn’t the American dream,” commented Matt Brouillette of the Commonwealth Foundation.

Matt Brouillette is with the Commonwealth Foundation, a government watchdog group which emphasizes a safety net, not a safety hammock.

“When there are taxpayer funded programs that could give you the equivalent lifestyle of a middle-class family, why would you have an incentive to go to work?” Brouillette questioned.

Government figures show, Pennsylvania’s Welfare Department now takes up a whopping 43 percent of the state’s budget. That number is growing much faster than revenue.

Brouillette admits in our hyper-politicized culture, meaningful reform is unlikely until there’s a financial crisis, which he says is coming.

all of it here
Living the good life off of government benefits - CBS 21 News - Breaking news, sports and weather for the Harrisburg -York -Lancaster -Lebanon Pennsylvania area
There are a lot programs available but for one reason or another you'll find you're not qualified for most of them. Things like having any retirement programs will disqualify you from most welfare programs. Being fired from a job can cut you out of unemployment. If you're going back to school, you can't get child care while you're in class. If you owe more than a $100, you can't get help with your electric bill. If you don't own your home, weatherization does work for you. There are lots of programs available but you can't qualify for most of them.

You can get weatherization if you don't own your home, I know because I asked....you need to have the owner on board but the answer was a definite yes.

Employment related daycare...if you're a student and work, you can still get it for the hours you work (none for the hours you're at school). Rental subsidies are based on income, so you're still eligible. Unemployment...you can get it if you're fired, if your boss didn't follow their own policy (which does happen)...you just have to ask for a hearing and win it..

Most get a combination of benefits...foodstamps, medical, employment related daycare, rental assistance, energy assistance, and free phone service. I've seen a lot of people ask for fewer work hours in order to keep their medical.

My slut step granddaughter gets paid for providing daycare for her friend who is also on welfare. Then the friend gets paid for providing daycare for the slut. Neither of them "work" beyond the daycare flim flam.

Welfare is so lucrative that the slut's sister is getting a divorce so she can go on welfare too. Why work?

My slut step granddaughter gets paid for providing daycare for her friend who is also on welfare. Then the friend gets paid for providing daycare for the slut. Neither of them "work" beyond the daycare flim flam.

Welfare is so lucrative that the slut's sister is getting a divorce so she can go on welfare too. Why work?

Wow, that's telling 'em.

And one wonders why so many conservatives are looked at as bitter old men and women. :cuckoo:

Miserable or not, I've never begrudged anyone taking advantage of these programs. I certainly would avail myself of any opportunity to use them to my benefit.

wonderful you don't mind living off the back of the taxpayers

Some don't mind. In fact the government advertises to encourage people to use it.
There is no stigma in welfare anymore.
There was a time when, once you went on the government dole, you'd hit rock bottom.
It was a disgrace.
Not anymore.

Maybe in your world. In mine it certainly is shameful (I mean I'd feel ashamed, and I think a lot of other people would also) and it does mean you've hit rock bottom. The only thing I see as not shameful is if you lose your job through no fault of your own, get laid off, and collect unemployment until you find another one, if you are actually actively looking.

none of your business, but since you care so much I will tell you I've paid them since I was 15 years old, for 35 years now

Of course you have.

then don't ask next time you don't want to believe people anyway
and keep your nose out of peoples business here

You're the one who brought it up when you were whining about caring how your tax money was spent.

Don't want anyone questioning if you have any skin in the game, then don't bring it up and start whining about it.

then don't ask next time you don't want to believe people anyway
and keep your nose out of peoples business here

You're the one who brought it up when you were whining about caring how your tax money was spent.

Don't want anyone questioning if you have any skin in the game, then don't bring it up and start whining about it.

and I gave you an answer jerk

No, you said it was none of my business, jerkette. :lol:

and I gave you an answer jerk

No, you said it was none of my business, jerkette. :lol:

no, I told you I pay them, that was all you needed to know so I do have a right to complain about where they go...but you want to be jerk, no problem..I have better things to do than play games with you, see ya

"Living the good life on government benefits".....this idea has been around for as long as I can remember, more than 40 years at least. So, why is it considered a 'current event'? Nothing new here.

Anyway, from what I've seen, it doesn't look like a very good life to me: they live like trailer trash and most of the people I've ever met or seen who were living on benefits were white 'cracker' trailer trash types. What's so good about such a life? :eusa_hand:
It's not such a good life. If you think so, you should try to live that life. Since the first government check was written to support the needy, people have been repeating the same lies. I have never known anyone that preferred public assistance to a job.

who the hell is calling for letting them starve?

doesn't matter really, we are heading for a fall..enjoy

Brouillette admits in our hyper-politicized culture, meaningful reform is unlikely until there’s a financial crisis, which he says is coming.

Yeah, yeah, you guys have been predicting imminent doom for four years now... it's getting a bit old, doncha think.

Seriously, you guys are becoming like the ex-girlfriend from hell. I halfway expect to come home to a boiled bunny.

That's delusion. Just like the debt game, welfare is designed to keep us in chains. Bread and circuses....

I really don't waste time with libertarian whacks who think government is bad on principle.

Resorting to name calling already? It's early!

This 'whack' doesn't think government is bad on principle. I'm saying government policies that entice us into perpetual debt and dependency are bad. So, how about you address the points I AM making and set aside your strawman for a bit?

When you use terms like "chains", and comparing to slavery, you are deep into Libertarian Whacko Land... and no longer worth my time.

how do you know? you investigated it?

It is obvious that the reporter was lazy and he did not investigate it. He just opened the book and looked up every benefit you "could" be eligible for and assumed you got the max.

Welfare mothers getting $6500 for weaterization projects?

lol, the reporter was lazy...I know for a fact that is available to people on welfare..knew a couple on it

You knew a couple on Weatherization Projects?

Actually, the government does fund these things, partly as energy efficiency, partially to boost private businesses by getting them customers who couldn't otherwise afford it.

(Staph..."Grrrrr... poor people being warm! Let them be COLD..Grrrrr...")

"Living the good life on government benefits".....this idea has been around for as long as I can remember, more than 40 years at least. So, why is it considered a 'current event'? Nothing new here.

Anyway, from what I've seen, it doesn't look like a very good life to me: they live like trailer trash and most of the people I've ever met or seen who were living on benefits were white 'cracker' trailer trash types. What's so good about such a life? :eusa_hand:
It's not such a good life. If you think so, you should try to live that life. Since the first government check was written to support the needy, people have been repeating the same lies. I have never known anyone that preferred public assistance to a job.

Oh, most of them would like a job...provided it is a job that pays really well and requires no effort from them.

Welfare lifers aren't workers.

But MOST benefits subsidize families that work from a little bit...to a whole lot.

The problem is, they don't think they can make it on their own, because they've never made it on their own. They put all this energy into getting and maintaining benefits....and don't realize that if they would put the same energy into getting and keeping a job, their lives would just naturally begin to improve as they become more skilled, more intelligent, and in higher demand as a worker with a history of working.

I've seen people who have devoted years of their lives to getting disability...when they aren't really disabled. Eventually they LEARN to be disabled, and they either get an attorney or accrue enough medical history (that's work in and of itself) that they get their ssi...of roughly $700 a month. What a waste!

I can't tell you how many I've had sit across my desk and whine "I have a degenerative spine condition...I just can't work." I'm like..wait, I have that...I worked anyway. It's called "do some fucking situps, stop smoking and quit laying for months on the couch you fucking loser".

And the Plutocrats decided this was just horrible,

Dear, I'm afraid you're too slow to be here. So sorry. The Plutocrats didn't decide that WW2 was over, the rest of the world could rebuilt and compete with us, that our liberal government could go into huge debt so Japan China and India could buy our debt rather than our products, or that 20 million illegals should move in to take our jobs.

Slow??

Forum List

Back