Living the good life off of government benefits

no according to the reporter who investigated it says they are living large..so stop with your whining about me AND MITT..,.

Since when does responding, commenting, expressing an opinion equate to whining? Only when it is something you don't want to hear, apparently. It seems to me that someone who is COMPLAINING ABOUT OTHERS, which is what your post is doing, best fits the definition of 'whining.' Pout, whine, complain, bitch...yep. Dragging up an old story as if it is something new just so you can bitch about it again and again.

shut up, you two make a great pair

LOL Who are you pairing me off with? It's probably a compliment. :laugh:

That's delusion. Just like the debt game, welfare is designed to keep us in chains. Bread and circuses....

I really don't waste time with libertarian whacks who think government is bad on principle.

Resorting to name calling already? It's early!

This 'whack' doesn't think government is bad on principle. I'm saying government policies that entice us into perpetual debt and dependency are bad. So, how about you address the points I AM making and set aside your strawman for a bit?

wow,

SNIP:

Living the good life

Reported by: Chris Papst

Email: [email protected]

Contributor: Nate Wardle

Published: 2/04 9:34 pm
Updated: 2/05 10:41 pm
We’ve all heard the line that America is becoming an entitlement society or welfare state, with half of U.S. households now receiving some type of government benefit. But a CBS 21 News investigation has taken that stat one step further to show you how much people are actually getting for free.

A few years ago, reporter Chris Papst worked with a single mom who had two children. She turned down a raise because she said the extra money would decrease her government benefits. It was hard to understand why she did that, until Chris started working on this story.

“You do what you have to do as a single mom,” explained Kristina Cogan. “And that’s what I did.”

For Kristina Cogan, a single mom of two, life has been a challenge. Ever since her divorce, she has struggled to simply give her kids what they need.

So five years ago, she walked through the doors of the Department of Public Welfare and applied for welfare.

“What was it like the first time you had to walk into that office?” we asked her.

“It’s scary. You’re depending on other people,” Cogan replied.

“What if that assistance wasn’t there for you?” we continued.

“I don’t know what I would have done, I mean, it’s critical for a lot of people,” Cogan answered.

So critical that Cogan is still collecting. The Lancaster native’s in nursing school and hopes to one day free herself from the system. But she admits living a life off the government can be comfortable.

“If you’re going to get something for free, are you going to work for it?” Cogan explained. “It kind of like sucks you in. They feel like they are hopeless. They feel like they have no alternative.

It’s not hard to see why. For this story, CBS 21 researched what government programs are available to a single mother of two making $19,000 a year. What we found was incredible.

Our family would be eligible for $14,976 in free day care, another $13,400 for Head Start and Early Head Start, $7,148 in housing vouchers, $6,500 for weatherization projects, $400 to pay heating bills, $480 a year for a cell phone, with an extra $230 for a land line, and $182 in free legal advice.

The family would get more than $6,028 in food assistance and another $6,045 in medical assistance. The mother is eligible for $5,500 in Pell Grants for school with an additional $12,000 for the Education Opportunity Grant; SMART Grant; and TEACH Grant.

Our family would also get $6,800 in tax credits, and $1,900 in withholding would be returned.

Add it up and this family can get $81,589 in free assistance.

“This isn’t the American dream,” commented Matt Brouillette of the Commonwealth Foundation.

Matt Brouillette is with the Commonwealth Foundation, a government watchdog group which emphasizes a safety net, not a safety hammock.

“When there are taxpayer funded programs that could give you the equivalent lifestyle of a middle-class family, why would you have an incentive to go to work?” Brouillette questioned.

Government figures show, Pennsylvania’s Welfare Department now takes up a whopping 43 percent of the state’s budget. That number is growing much faster than revenue.

Brouillette admits in our hyper-politicized culture, meaningful reform is unlikely until there’s a financial crisis, which he says is coming.

all of it here
Living the good life off of government benefits - CBS 21 News - Breaking news, sports and weather for the Harrisburg -York -Lancaster -Lebanon Pennsylvania area

It started out as a good story but then he resorted to piling on the benefits to try to prove his point that the poor have it so easy

Sorry....but welfare mom does not get $81,000 in benefits

wow,

SNIP:

Living the good life

We’ve all heard the line that America is becoming an entitlement society or welfare state, with half of U.S. households now receiving some type of government benefit. But a CBS 21 News investigation has taken that stat one step further to show you how much people are actually getting for free.

A few years ago, reporter Chris Papst worked with a single mom who had two children. She turned down a raise because she said the extra money would decrease her government benefits. It was hard to understand why she did that, until Chris started working on this story.

“You do what you have to do as a single mom,” explained Kristina Cogan. “And that’s what I did.”

For Kristina Cogan, a single mom of two, life has been a challenge. Ever since her divorce, she has struggled to simply give her kids what they need.

So five years ago, she walked through the doors of the Department of Public Welfare and applied for welfare.

“What was it like the first time you had to walk into that office?” we asked her.

“I don’t know what I would have done, I mean, it’s critical for a lot of people,” Cogan answered.

So critical that Cogan is still collecting. The Lancaster native’s in nursing school and hopes to one day free herself from the system. But she admits living a life off the government can be comfortable.

“If you’re going to get something for free, are you going to work for it?” Cogan explained. “It kind of like sucks you in. They feel like they are hopeless. They feel like they have no alternative.

It’s not hard to see why. For this story, CBS 21 researched what government programs are available to a single mother of two making $19,000 a year. What we found was incredible.

Our family would be eligible for $14,976 in free day care, another $13,400 for Head Start and Early Head Start, $7,148 in housing vouchers, $6,500 for weatherization projects, $400 to pay heating bills, $480 a year for a cell phone, with an extra $230 for a land line, and $182 in free legal advice.

The family would get more than $6,028 in food assistance and another $6,045 in medical assistance. The mother is eligible for $5,500 in Pell Grants for school with an additional $12,000 for the Education Opportunity Grant; SMART Grant; and TEACH Grant.

Our family would also get $6,800 in tax credits, and $1,900 in withholding would be returned.

“This isn’t the American dream,” commented Matt Brouillette of the Commonwealth Foundation.

Matt Brouillette is with the Commonwealth Foundation, a government watchdog group which emphasizes a safety net, not a safety hammock.

“When there are taxpayer funded programs that could give you the equivalent lifestyle of a middle-class family, why would you have an incentive to go to work?” Brouillette questioned.

Government figures show, Pennsylvania’s Welfare Department now takes up a whopping 43 percent of the state’s budget. That number is growing much faster than revenue.

Brouillette admits in our hyper-politicized culture, meaningful reform is unlikely until there’s a financial crisis, which he says is coming.

all of it here
Living the good life off of government benefits - CBS 21 News - Breaking news, sports and weather for the Harrisburg -York -Lancaster -Lebanon Pennsylvania area

It started out as a good story but then he resorted to piling on the benefits to try to prove his point that the poor have it so easy

how do you know? you investigated it?

wow,

SNIP:

Living the good life

all of it here

It is obvious that the reporter was lazy and he did not investigate it. He just opened the book and looked up every benefit you "could" be eligible for and assumed you got the max.

Welfare mothers getting $6500 for weatherization projects?

Slanted reporting to try to smear people on welfare

It is obvious that the reporter was lazy and he did not investigate it. He just opened the book and looked up every benefit you "could" be eligible for and assumed you got the max.

Welfare mothers getting $6500 for weaterization projects?

lol, the reporter was lazy...I know for a fact that is available to people on welfare..knew a couple on it

Last edited:
Anyway, from what I've seen, it doesn't look like a very good life to me: they live like trailer trash and most of the people I've ever met or seen who were living on benefits were white 'cracker' trailer trash types. What's so good about such a life? :eusa_hand:
I agree.

There are certainly some (many?) people taking advantage of the system, but the life they live isn't something I envy. Sure they get something for nothing, but they are stuck at a relatively low income level and the goals many have for a better life just isn't as attainable while they are on that treadmill, I'd think it would be a miserable feeling.

Anyway, from what I've seen, it doesn't look like a very good life to me: they live like trailer trash and most of the people I've ever met or seen who were living on benefits were white 'cracker' trailer trash types. What's so good about such a life? :eusa_hand:
I agree.

There are certainly some (many?) people taking advantage of the system, but the life they live isn't something I envy. Sure they get something for nothing, but they are stuck at a relatively low income level and the goals many have for a better life just isn't as attainable while they are on that treadmill, I'd think it would be a miserable feeling.

Miserable or not, I've never begrudged anyone taking advantage of these programs. I certainly would avail myself of any opportunity to use them to my benefit.

I agree.

Miserable or not, I've never begrudged anyone taking advantage of these programs. I certainly would avail myself of any opportunity to use them to my benefit.

wonderful you don't mind living off the back of the taxpayers

I agree.

Meh... it's not a preference. But I've paid my share of taxes. It would be a pointless sacrifice to walk away from benefits I've been paying for all my life. Even if I hadn't, I didn't make the rules. I consistently vote against those who do. There's no shame in using stupid rules to your advantage.

I can see where dblack is coming from.

I'm same, have been paying taxes for 20 years and being married with no kids and solid incomes have thrown our share of coins into the machine. If some terrible dildo accident left both my wife and I disabled I'd have no problems collecting disability.

I can see where dblack is coming from.

I'm same, have been paying taxes for 20 years and being married with no kids and solid incomes have thrown our share of coins into the machine. If some terrible dildo accident left both my wife and I disabled I'd have no problems collecting disability.

until it's not there to collect..which in the article it stated that

I agree.

Some don't mind. In fact the government advertises to encourage people to use it.
There is no stigma in welfare anymore.
There was a time when, once you went on the government dole, you'd hit rock bottom.
It was a disgrace.
Not anymore.

Many republicans sure like to bring up "stories" like this and then whine your ears off.

if you say so:rolleyes:
I mean really why should people whine about where their tax money is going

Last edited:

Forum List

Back