Linux on the Desktop

Tech_Esq

Sic Semper Tyrannis!
Jul 10, 2008
Northern Virginia
I've been a fan of Linux for a long time. I've used it for many servers and doing specific IT tasks that Linux does better than most other operating systems for years.

When it comes to using Linux on the Desktop I was always disappointed. I would usually try it and then reach some point where I just couldn't function without Windoze. A few days ago I reached my limit with M$. After the umpteenth problem with Vista not working right (this time it decided that I didn't have network. Sometimes it decides I don't have a mouse and sometimes it just won't boot), I decided, screw it, I'm going to Linux.

Well, I was prepared for the usual pain in the ass, but M$ had me so pissed off I didn't care. I installed Ubuntu 9.04. No problem there and there really hasn't been an install problem with Linux for years. Usually the problem comes with usability. This time however, I've been surprised and shocked at how user friendly my new Linux laptop is. WAAAAAYY better than Visduh.

Is anyone else running Linux on the Desktop? Would you?

I have it here on my monster desktop, and on my laptop. Love it. Freedom from windows is sweet.

I finally did it too because there is NO way I am ever, ever going to Vista, and it was starting to become evident that they were going to force it on us. So, see ya windows!

I have it here on my monster desktop, and on my laptop. Love it. Freedom from windows is sweet.

I finally did it too because there is NO way I am ever, ever going to Vista, and it was starting to become evident that they were going to force it on us. So, see ya windows!

What have been your biggest challenges?

I think if you are fairly insular, there wouldn't be too many challenges any more. It used to be that MM was really shaky. But now, I haven't had any problem with the music or video capabilities. I'm playing Nirvana Unplugged as I type this. Evolution hooked right up to my Exchange server. Open Office is doing a nice job of providing that functionality. I've got Dia for doing Visio stuff. It doesn't look like it has everything, but I think it will suit my purposes (much stronger than it was a few years ago). My firm runs Timeslips so I have to RDP into it for that.

What have been your biggest challenges? .
There were none. I put it on my laptop first, just as a teaching tool for me before I committed to the desktop. Both installations were smooth, and the OS works perfectly and does everything I had before, with aplomb.

Most of my work is done on my websites, and with audio production. I work with images quite a bit too. No hitches thus far.

Most of my work is done on my websites, and with audio production. I work with images quite a bit too. No hitches thus far.

I assume you are using GIMP for image work. What are you using for an IDE for web site dev? My wife handles the Web dev side of things and is still on windoze. But she's using Thunderbird, Open Office and Eclipse for Web Dev. (Although she still uses Dreamweaver on occasion). She's still a Photoshop fan though. But, I'm weeding through those pesky paid for licenses and dumping all I can :lol:

Do you have anything that's Open Source and creates Flash? I suppose Inkscape can replace Fireworks for vector graphics. What other tools do you use?

I assume you are using GIMP for image work. What are you using for an IDE for web site dev? My wife handles the Web dev side of things and is still on windoze. But she's using Thunderbird, Open Office and Eclipse for Web Dev. (Although she still uses Dreamweaver on occasion). She's still a Photoshop fan though. But, I'm weeding through those pesky paid for licenses and dumping all I can :lol:

Do you have anything that's Open Source and creates Flash? I suppose Inkscape can replace Fireworks for vector graphics. What other tools do you use?
I have used GIMP and Irfanview for years. For the web, all my stuff is simple Joomla so it's all done online in Firefox. KittenKoder will be along I am sure, to banter about all the Linux video and flash toys with you.

I've been a fan of Linux for a long time. I've used it for many servers and doing specific IT tasks that Linux does better than most other operating systems for years.

When it comes to using Linux on the Desktop I was always disappointed. I would usually try it and then reach some point where I just couldn't function without Windoze. A few days ago I reached my limit with M$. After the umpteenth problem with Vista not working right (this time it decided that I didn't have network. Sometimes it decides I don't have a mouse and sometimes it just won't boot), I decided, screw it, I'm going to Linux.

Well, I was prepared for the usual pain in the ass, but M$ had me so pissed off I didn't care. I installed Ubuntu 9.04. No problem there and there really hasn't been an install problem with Linux for years. Usually the problem comes with usability. This time however, I've been surprised and shocked at how user friendly my new Linux laptop is. WAAAAAYY better than Visduh.

Ubuntu rules! Welcome to the club. ;)

People are scared of change, but changing OSes doesn't really mean you have to relearn everything, and people actually think you do. I switched because I got sick of apps crashing the whole system when I made a program error, being a programmer it's more important to have an OS that isn't going to turn to shit every time you accidentally put one byte in the wrong location. Since my switch I have actually found a new computer hobby to replace the one that became work. I installed Blender for fun, had problems with it on Windoze when I tried it last but the Windoze 3D package I had gotten use to wouldn't work on Ubuntu and I wasn't that serious in it.

Now ... since playing with Blender, which runs perfectly in Ubuntu, I am making videos and learning how to do digital media finally. It's fun ... in Windoze I was always worried about expanding because every time I installed something I didn't know if it would work, and getting customer support for their apps was impossible. But with Linux, if something doesn't work I can open up the source file, tweak it a bit, and recompile ... I just love it. In Ubuntu the integration of Gnome and KDE with Linux makes it just as easy as Windoze ... it's just perfect.

I have used GIMP and Irfanview for years. For the web, all my stuff is simple Joomla so it's all done online in Firefox. KittenKoder will be along I am sure, to banter about all the Linux video and flash toys with you.

Really? My wife does Joomla Dev primarily. She just went to a new users group meeting in DC. They just got around to organizing. There's pretty high demand for Joomla in some parts of the Government. Specifically the Government Printing Office.

My wife just finished a large dev project porting a home grown MySQL and CGI web site (about 800 pages) over to a Joomla! based site. She had to create some new components from scratch that she's going to be releasing (all native 1.5).
A document management component, an event and conference management component with a payment gateway, a recipe database and a component that automates user action (think grassroots politics ....letter writing campaigns etc.).

Really? My wife does Joomla Dev primarily. She just went to a new users group meeting in DC. They just got around to organizing. There's pretty high demand for Joomla in some parts of the Government. Specifically the Government Printing Office.

My wife just finished a large dev project porting a home grown MySQL and CGI web site (about 800 pages) over to a Joomla! based site. She had to create some new components from scratch that she's going to be releasing (all native 1.5).
A document management component, an event and conference management component with a payment gateway, a recipe database and a component that automates user action (think grassroots politics ....letter writing campaigns etc.).
Sounds like she kicks butt! A keeper!

Speaking of MySQL .. I love having it native since all the hosting plans online and all my work needs it. No more having to install massive Windoze packages for it and then configuring it. Also having a built in loop back address since it has Apache to.

Gimp rules to, but after running it on both Windoze and Ubuntu, it runs much better in Ubuntu/Linux than Windoze.

People are scared of change, but changing OSes doesn't really mean you have to relearn everything, and people actually think you do. I switched because I got sick of apps crashing the whole system when I made a program error, being a programmer it's more important to have an OS that isn't going to turn to shit every time you accidentally put one byte in the wrong location. Since my switch I have actually found a new computer hobby to replace the one that became work. I installed Blender for fun, had problems with it on Windoze when I tried it last but the Windoze 3D package I had gotten use to wouldn't work on Ubuntu and I wasn't that serious in it.

Now ... since playing with Blender, which runs perfectly in Ubuntu, I am making videos and learning how to do digital media finally. It's fun ... in Windoze I was always worried about expanding because every time I installed something I didn't know if it would work, and getting customer support for their apps was impossible. But with Linux, if something doesn't work I can open up the source file, tweak it a bit, and recompile ... I just love it. In Ubuntu the integration of Gnome and KDE with Linux makes it just as easy as Windoze ... it's just perfect.

I agree. Desktop Linux has really matured. The first time I look at it was on Redhat 4.2. There was no Gnome, no KDE the window manager was FVWM95. There was a graphical interface with a big command window square in the center of the desktop. You could add apps to menu, but it required recoding the menu and then regening the menu. Not user friendly. Back then I was doing stuff with Linux like creating VPNs using Free S/wan. Recompiling the kernel into a monolithic kernel instead of modular and removing most extraneous programs for security purposes. After that it was using Linux as a "utility" server. It was great for doing all kinds of cool little tasks that you need in a network environment. I made syslog servers, IDSs, created help desk web apps and hosted them. But I'm totally psyched that it's ready for prime time on the desktop.

Sounds like she kicks butt! A keeper!

Totally!!

Next mountain she's climbing is integrating vTiger with Joomla! The client has a home grown membership database with about 35,000 records. We're going to replace that with vTiger CRM integrate it into their Joomla! framework, (that's phase one), then we're setting up the internal users so they will use the vTiger plugins for Outlook and have access to all the contact info in vTiger from their desktops. Not sure whether we will point them direct or set up a VM in their local office with a copy of vTiger running and replicate the DB info to it. Should be a fun integration though.

I agree. Desktop Linux has really matured. The first time I look at it was on Redhat 4.2. There was no Gnome, no KDE the window manager was FVWM95. There was a graphical interface with a big command window square in the center of the desktop. You could add apps to menu, but it required recoding the menu and then regening the menu. Not user friendly. Back then I was doing stuff with Linux like creating VPNs using Free S/wan. Recompiling the kernel into a monolithic kernel instead of modular and removing most extraneous programs for security purposes. After that it was using Linux as a "utility" server. It was great for doing all kinds of cool little tasks that you need in a network environment. I made syslog servers, IDSs, created help desk web apps and hosted them. But I'm totally psyched that it's ready for prime time on the desktop.

Very much, I didn't find out about Ubuntu until version 8.04 ... but when I tried it off the live CD ... after about 30 minutes I just wiped out my Windoze and haven't looked back. Got it on my laptop to. It save a lot of time to, when I have to update a server somewhere I normally don't even have to leave my desktop, do it all from right here over the net. Haven't had to chase any viruses either ... that's sweet. Then all the features and settings you can change in Gnome/KDE ... that's just awesome. My computer looks like I want it to ... no more having to hack it to change a menu or color (like you had to in Windoze). It's just so beautiful code wise to. Since the switch I actually figured out how to program for generic USB devices ... I couldn't figure it out in Windoze and XP kept blocking my access to most of my hardware. With the command line in the Ubuntu terminal I can see everything.

Speaking of MySQL .. I love having it native since all the hosting plans online and all my work needs it. No more having to install massive Windoze packages for it and then configuring it. Also having a built in loop back address since it has Apache to.

Gimp rules to, but after running it on both Windoze and Ubuntu, it runs much better in Ubuntu/Linux than Windoze.

I tried to run GIMP in windoze once. It crashed almost immediately. I just rolled my eyes. I'd used GIMP a bunch in Linux and it never crashed. So, I knew where the fault was. Shocker, windoze fails again!

Very much, I didn't find out about Ubuntu until version 8.04 ... but when I tried it off the live CD ... after about 30 minutes I just wiped out my Windoze and haven't looked back. Got it on my laptop to. It save a lot of time to, when I have to update a server somewhere I normally don't even have to leave my desktop, do it all from right here over the net. Haven't had to chase any viruses either ... that's sweet. Then all the features and settings you can change in Gnome/KDE ... that's just awesome. My computer looks like I want it to ... no more having to hack it to change a menu or color (like you had to in Windoze). It's just so beautiful code wise to. Since the switch I actually figured out how to program for generic USB devices ... I couldn't figure it out in Windoze and XP kept blocking my access to most of my hardware. With the command line in the Ubuntu terminal I can see everything.

Ok, I'm jealous of your coding ability. I haven't written anything since college COBOL 85....lol. My wife does all the dev work. I'm strictly networking, security and auditing these days.

I tried to run GIMP in windoze once. It crashed almost immediately. I just rolled my eyes. I'd used GIMP a bunch in Linux and it never crashed. So, I knew where the fault was. Shocker, windoze fails again!

The highest version of Gimp I got working on Windows XP was 1.2 ... I needed it because it's the only graphics app that can use png alpha transparency perfectly. Even the costly graphics apps mess it up a lot. I couldn't even get the Gnome package needed to work well with Windoze.

That is the only problem I have with Linux ... audio apps suck still. :lol:

The best for Midi is Rosegarden ... but Audacity is a pain and doesn't work with all sound cards. I use my Open Movie Editor for it but then you can't tweak the audio much, jut arrange it.

The highest version of Gimp I got working on Windows XP was 1.2 ... I needed it because it's the only graphics app that can use png alpha transparency perfectly. Even the costly graphics apps mess it up a lot. I couldn't even get the Gnome package needed to work well with Windoze.

It's time for the bell to start tolling on Windoze. I think the only reason people won't change at this point is that "one apps" that only runs on windoze. But, we can start to move them in the right direction. We can just put up a terminal server and run those one or two apps on that. Or a stand alone PC in a corner with Winduhz on it. It's definitely going in my next tech plans for my clients.

Forum List

Back