Lincoln said the Civil war was about taxes, not slavery...

Abraham Lincoln repeatedly stated his war was caused by taxes only, and not by slavery, at all.y

This crap again?

Lincoln never claimed it was his war- Lincoln

The Southern slave states seceded in order to protect their legal rights to own human property. This was embedded within the Constitution of the Confederacy- and indeed South Carolina's own secession statement:
http://www.teachingushistory.org/pdfs/ImmCausesTranscription.pdf

Those States have assume the right of
deciding upon the propriety of our domestic institutions; and have denied the rights of property established in fifteen of
the States and recognized by the Constitution; they havedenounced as sinful the institution of slavery;
they have permitted open establishment among them of societies, whose
avowed object is to disturb the peace and to eloign the
property of the citizens of other States.

They have encouraged and assisted thousands of our slaves to leave their homes;
and those who remain, have been incited by emissaries, books and pictures to servile insurrection.

Then they attacked American troops at Federal Fort Sumter- hence starting the war that resulted in the end of legal slavery in the United States.

Which was a tragedy- for so many reasons.

But the ending of slavery was not one of those tragedies.

Abraham Lincoln repeatedly stated his war was caused by taxes only, and not by slavery, at all.

"My policy sought only to collect the Revenue (a 40 percent federal sales tax on imports to Southern States under the Morrill Tariff Act of 1861)." reads paragraph 5 of Lincoln's First Message to the U.S. Congress, penned July 4, 1861.

"I have no purpose, directly or in-directly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so," Lincoln said it his first inaugural on March 4 of the same year.

There is no proof of Lincoln ever declaring the war was fought to abolish slavery, and without such an official statement, the war-over-slavery teaching remains a complete lie and offensive hate speech that divides Americans, as is being done now by the media and politicians regarding the Confederate flag in South Carolina.

Slavery was NOT abolished; just the name was changed to sharecropper with over 5 million Southern whites and 3 million Southern blacks working on land stolen by Wall Street bankers.

White, black, Indian, Hispanic, Protestant, Catholic and Jewish Confederates valiantly stood as one in thousands of battles on land and sea. Afterwards, they attended Confederate Veterans' reunions together and received pensions from Southern States.

Photos of black Confederate veterans may be seen in Alabama's Archives in Scrapbook – 41st Reunion of United Confederate Veterans, Montgomery, June 2,3,4 and 5, 1931."

Lincoln did not claim slavery was a reason even in his Emancipation Proclamations on Sept. 22, 1862, and Jan. 1, 1863. Moreover, Lincoln's proclamations exempted a million slaves under his control from being freed (including General U.S. Grant's four slaves) and offered the South three months to return to the Union (pay 40 percent sales tax) and keep their slaves. None did. Lincoln affirmed his only reason for issuing was: "as a fit and necessary war measure for suppressing said (tax) rebellion."

Mrs. Grant wrote in her personal memoirs: "We rented our pretty little home (in St. Louis) and hired out our four servants to persons whom we knew and who promised to be kind to them. Eliza, Dan, Julia and John belonged to me. When I visited the General during the War, I nearly always had Julia with me as nurse."

Lincoln declared war to collect taxes in his two presidential war proclamations against the Confederate States, on April 15 and 19th, 1861: "Whereas an insurrection against the Government of the United States has broken out and the laws of the United States for the collection of the revenue cannot be effectually executed therein."

On Dec. 25, 1860, South Carolina declared unfair taxes to be a cause of secession: "The people of the Southern States are not only taxed for the benefit of the Northern States, but after the taxes are collected, three-fourths (75%) of them are expended at the North (to subsidize Wall Street industries that elected Lincoln)." (Paragraphs 5-8)

It was on April 8, 1861, that Lincoln, alone, started the war by a surprise attack on Charleston Harbor with a fleet of warships, led by the USS Harriet Lane, to occupy Fort Sumter, a Federal tax collection fort in the territorial waters of South Carolina and then invaded Virginia.

Abraham Lincoln said war was over taxes, not slavery

Non political Thread junior. MOVED to HISTORY.
FYI, I'm your senior, kid. You need to do a better job of hiding the truth.

Doubtful junior. Doubtful.

Abraham Lincoln repeatedly stated his war was caused by taxes only, and not by slavery, at all.

"My policy sought only to collect the Revenue (a 40 percent federal sales tax on imports to Southern States under the Morrill Tariff Act of 1861)." reads paragraph 5 of Lincoln's First Message to the U.S. Congress, penned July 4, 1861.

"I have no purpose, directly or in-directly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so," Lincoln said it his first inaugural on March 4 of the same year.

There is no proof of Lincoln ever declaring the war was fought to abolish slavery, and without such an official statement, the war-over-slavery teaching remains a complete lie and offensive hate speech that divides Americans, as is being done now by the media and politicians regarding the Confederate flag in South Carolina.

Slavery was NOT abolished; just the name was changed to sharecropper with over 5 million Southern whites and 3 million Southern blacks working on land stolen by Wall Street bankers.

White, black, Indian, Hispanic, Protestant, Catholic and Jewish Confederates valiantly stood as one in thousands of battles on land and sea. Afterwards, they attended Confederate Veterans' reunions together and received pensions from Southern States.

Photos of black Confederate veterans may be seen in Alabama's Archives in Scrapbook – 41st Reunion of United Confederate Veterans, Montgomery, June 2,3,4 and 5, 1931."

Lincoln did not claim slavery was a reason even in his Emancipation Proclamations on Sept. 22, 1862, and Jan. 1, 1863. Moreover, Lincoln's proclamations exempted a million slaves under his control from being freed (including General U.S. Grant's four slaves) and offered the South three months to return to the Union (pay 40 percent sales tax) and keep their slaves. None did. Lincoln affirmed his only reason for issuing was: "as a fit and necessary war measure for suppressing said (tax) rebellion."

Mrs. Grant wrote in her personal memoirs: "We rented our pretty little home (in St. Louis) and hired out our four servants to persons whom we knew and who promised to be kind to them. Eliza, Dan, Julia and John belonged to me. When I visited the General during the War, I nearly always had Julia with me as nurse."

Lincoln declared war to collect taxes in his two presidential war proclamations against the Confederate States, on April 15 and 19th, 1861: "Whereas an insurrection against the Government of the United States has broken out and the laws of the United States for the collection of the revenue cannot be effectually executed therein."

On Dec. 25, 1860, South Carolina declared unfair taxes to be a cause of secession: "The people of the Southern States are not only taxed for the benefit of the Northern States, but after the taxes are collected, three-fourths (75%) of them are expended at the North (to subsidize Wall Street industries that elected Lincoln)." (Paragraphs 5-8)

It was on April 8, 1861, that Lincoln, alone, started the war by a surprise attack on Charleston Harbor with a fleet of warships, led by the USS Harriet Lane, to occupy Fort Sumter, a Federal tax collection fort in the territorial waters of South Carolina and then invaded Virginia.

The EP blows that theory right of the water.

The EP was kind of a military tactic. It freed only slaves in the Confederacy who could escape.

yes- and no.

It was a military tactic- and that was the Constitutional loophole which allowed Lincoln to emancipate those slaves.

But it immediately freed thousands of slaves who were in areas of Federal control, and as American troops put down the rebellion, the slaves in those areas became free. The Emancipation proclamation resulted ultimately in the freedom of most of the legal slaves in the United States- the remainder by the 13th Amendment.

For the Union, that is probably correct but for the South, it was always about State's Sovereignty.

It was about preserving the Union, the danger to which stemmed from a number of issues - all related to the evil of slavery.
No, it was about taxes, which I already proved..

You proved nothing.

South Carolina made it very clear in its declaration of Secession that slavery was the primary reason for secession.

A geographical line has been drawn across the
Union, and all the States north of that line have united in the
election of a man to the high office of President of the United
States, whose opinions and purposes are hostile to slavery.
He
is to be entrusted with the administration of the common
Government, because he has declared that that "Government ca
nnot endure permanently half slave, half free," and that the
public mind must rest in the belief that slav
ery is in the course of ultimate extinction.

http://www.teachingushistory.org/pdfs/ImmCausesTranscription.pdf

The South wanted out to preserve slavery.
The North just wanted the Union preserved.
Slavery didn't become a moral issue until Lincoln needed something to rally the nation around because the War in the East wasn't going so well and show the world we were the good guys.

This really isn't all that hard to get.
Lincoln only wanted the profits of the corporations in the north preserved, and was happy to sacrifice 750,000 Americans for those profits. .

There is literally nothing true in your post.

What another idiotic Confederate slavery apologist thread.

Slavery didn't become a moral issue until Lincoln needed something to rally the nation around because the War in the East wasn't going so well and show the world we were the good guys.

Lincoln debated the slavery issue and spoke out on its immorality long before the war. Long before he was president.

Lincoln debated the slavery issue and spoke out on its immorality long before the war. Long before he was president.

Lincoln was elected because he was considered a 'moderate' within the GOP on the slavery issue- between the hardcore abolitionists, and those who were not willing to pushback at all at the attempts to expand slavery into the West.

Lincoln was personally against slavery, and he was openly against the expansion of slavery into Western states- the South basically over reacted to his election- Lincoln would never have attempted to end slavery if the South had not revolted- but he would have tried to prevent expansion of slavery in the West which would likely have resulted in the eventual compensated end of slavery decades later.

But it wasn't the casus belli. The war started over secession. It was only after the "success" of Antietam that Lincoln could even make freeing the southern slaves and even that was a tactic to get Confederate slaveholding areas to stop fighting.

But it wasn't the casus belli. The war started over secession. It was only after the "success" of Antietam that Lincoln could even make freeing the southern slaves and even that was a tactic to get Confederate slaveholding areas to stop fighting.

Secession happened because of slavery.

But from the Northern standpoint, slavery wasn't the issue. As far as the Union was concerned, it was just over whether or not the Union would survive.

The Morrill Tariff signed into law on March 2nd of 1861 which Lincoln is referring, was certainly not the cause of the civil war. Southern States had already began secession in Dec 1860, 4 months before Lincoln took office. Southern Senators who would have voted against the bill had already withdrawn from the Senate. The war was certainly not about Southern States refusing to pay a tariff. That would be a hell of a revision of history.

Like most wars, there are many underlying causes for the civil war.

For abolitionist in congress the cause of the war was certainly slavery

For Lincoln, the direct cause was a rebellion resulting from the uncompromising differences between the free and slave states over the power of the national government to prohibit slavery in the territories that had not yet become states.

Southerners believed that the addition of more free states would lead to abolition of slavery which would result an economic collapse in the South.

I don't believe that when Lincoln was elected he had any intent to free the slaves. His goal was to preserve the union rather than concentrate on the issue of slavery. He was ready to take military action to preserve the union and the South saw his election as a prelude to war.

Saying the war was not fought to abolish slavery is not quite true because slavery was the root cause of the problems between the North and South.

I noticed your referenced article was by By Roger K. Broxton president of the Confederate Heritage Fund, not exactly an unbiased source.

Debunking the Civil War Tariff Myth

Last edited:
But from the Northern standpoint, slavery wasn't the issue. As far as the Union was concerned, it was just over whether or not the Union would survive.

Yes slavery was the issue. 1. from the abolition movement 2. from the Unionist movement who recognized slavery as the biggest threat to preserving the Union.

Go back and reach the speeches and newspaper editorials. The immediate issue in the spring and summer of 1861 was not slavery but preservation of the Union. The abolitionists might be pushing for war, but the states didn't raise troops to put down slavery, but to bring the southern states back into the fold. As a matter of fact that after Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation several states considered recalling their regiments because they didn't sign onto the war over slavery.

Go back and reach the speeches and newspaper editorials. The immediate issue in the spring and summer of 1861 was not slavery but preservation of the Union. The abolitionists might be pushing for war, but the states didn't raise troops to put down slavery, but to bring the southern states back into the fold. As a matter of fact that after Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation several states considered recalling their regiments because they didn't sign onto the war over slavery.
You are addressing issues that resulted from the South's fear that more free states would result in Congress abolishing slavery. All of the events that led up to civil war sprang out of the fear by the South that the North was going to abolish slavery once there were enough free states in the Union.

The primary catalyst for secession was slavery, especially Southern anger at the attempts by Northern antislavery political forces to block the expansion of slavery into the western territories. Years of ideological, economic, political, and social conflict over slavery had driven a wedge between the North and South that created a strong sense of nationalism and desire to breakaway from the North. Saying the Civil War was not fought over slavery is like saying the Revolutionary was not about freedom and independence.

To collect a tariff, Lincoln caused the deaths of up to 850k Americans and destruction of much of the nation. Yet millions of uninformed Americans consider the warmongering tyrant, a great man.

The EP was kind of a military tactic. It freed only slaves in the Confederacy who could escape.

yes- and no.

It was a military tactic- and that was the Constitutional loophole which allowed Lincoln to emancipate those slaves.

But it immediately freed thousands of slaves who were in areas of Federal control, and as American troops put down the rebellion, the slaves in those areas became free. The Emancipation proclamation resulted ultimately in the freedom of most of the legal slaves in the United States- the remainder by the 13th Amendment.

Yes and no. The EP applied only to ten states, didn't make any of the freed slaves citizens, and didn't free half a million slaves in border states. But it did shift the focus of the War; this is the point where it became more specifically "about slavery".

You are addressing issues that resulted from the South's fear that more free states would result in Congress abolishing slavery. All of the events that led up to civil war sprang out of the fear by the South that the North was going to abolish slavery once there were enough free states in the Union.

The primary catalyst for secession was slavery, especially Southern anger at the attempts by Northern antislavery political forces to block the expansion of slavery into the western territories. Years of ideological, economic, political, and social conflict over slavery had driven a wedge between the North and South that created a strong sense of nationalism and desire to breakaway from the North. Saying the Civil War was not fought over slavery is like saying the Revolutionary was not about freedom and independence.

Nobody is saying slavery wasn't the issue that got the whole thing in motion, but the reason for the war so far as the North was concerned wasn't slavery. It was forcing the Confederate states back into the Union. Preserving slavery was the issue for southern states, but the whole reason for going to war in the first place for the Union was keeping the Union intact. Getting rid of slavery was a secondary concern that didn't come about until mid-1862, and even then it was a military and political play for Lincoln.

Nobody is saying slavery wasn't the issue that got the whole thing in motion, but the reason for the war so far as the North was concerned wasn't slavery. It was forcing the Confederate states back into the Union. Preserving slavery was the issue for southern states, but the whole reason for going to war in the first place for the Union was keeping the Union intact. Getting rid of slavery was a secondary concern that didn't come about until mid-1862, and even then it was a military and political play for Lincoln.
I agree with you're saying. Once the southern states withdrew from the union and formed the Confederacy, forcing the southern states back into the union took priority over the issue of slavery. When any nation is attacked, survival takes precedence over all else. Once it became clear that the Union would prevail, then abolishing slavery became a priority again.

yes- and no.

Yes and no. The EP applied only to ten states, didn't make any of the freed slaves citizens, and didn't free half a million slaves in border states. But it did shift the focus of the War; this is the point where it became more specifically "about slavery".

Abraham Lincoln 'tried to deport slaves' to British colonies

Read more: Abraham Lincoln 'tried to deport slaves' to British colonies
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Forum List

Back